Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
Iroc-ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I noticed a trend here, where most of the "your being a baby" folks don't own a ZL1. Maybe if they paid $65K for a car they may think a little different.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #30
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
On the other end, I would be embarrassed to make my car appear to be something it is not. I would never try to pass my car off as a Z/28, now that it is considered the top dog in the Camaro line.
Most people aren't you, so just be embarrassed for them, so they don't have to. It sounds to me that you actually are wanting to piss off those with ZL1 front ends on their non-ZL1 Camaros, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this.

I don't consider the Z/28 the top dog in the Camaro line. It's one of two top dogs. Just like in the old days. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless you're talking price. But they're both still good value for your $$. They're both top dogs at different things.

Should I be pissed that the Z/28 stole the SS front end and put a different grille in it? No.

Should I be pissed at GM for using ZL1 parts on the Hot Wheels? No. GM does it, why can't everyone else?

I don't care. I value the hot rod aspect of those wanting to build their car with the parts available to them and customize their car as they see fit. I do draw the line of ZL1 or Z/28 badges on a non Z car, or if someone wanted to fuse in Mustang parts. Copying a style is one thing, but outright lying is another level. But don't worry, by the time people get done buying most of the body parts and wheels for a ZL1 and put them on, they could have added that price to an SS and buy the real thing. So it's not a super cost-effective measure. So it has to be something else.

Our 2010 has a ZL1 trunk/spoiler and front end on it, and I have a ZL1 hood that's going on it too. I've had it a while, but not sure when I'm putting it on because I'm still trying to land on the striping options to keep the Transformer theme. Still debating on getting some black 10 spokes for it and depending on the tire size, I can do the 1LE sways or ZL1 sways, but I've yet to decide. I have all the stock parts too and will keep them so I can always put it back stock. But I haven't been and will not be asking anyone's permission to do it (well, maybe the wife's).

I also have a real ZL1, and I don't give a flip is someone wants to clone it, but they'll never really be able to make theirs a real ZL1.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
I look at it like I wouldn't have bought my ZL1 if my 2011 SS was not paid off. I just couldn't have imagined making a payment upward of $1000 a month for a car without a nice size down payment (28k). I could have but wouldn't.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #32
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I certainly didn't want to come off as someone who thought they were a big shot because I have a ZL1 (look at my historical posts). I tried to explain my points and illustrate how I have had a plain Mustang GT Premium Coupe, but could have afforded much more car. I just couldn't have envisioned putting BOSS 302 stripes on my GT. It would be like stuffing my pants with a sock.

I also don't pretend to be Donald Trump because there are people who spend my annual salary on their country club bar bill. Again, what car you own is not a measure of anything. I am just a fan of authenticity.
Hey, back off my sock!

I understand where you're coming from, but even if it isn't intended as such, you come across like a whiner. You seem annoyed that someone paid less than you did yet has a car that looks just like yours.

C'mon man, really? Who cares. You know you paid for the real deal, and clones don't devalue your vehicle at all. Clones have been around in the car enthusiast world for ages. Pros know the difference and the existence of clones never makes the real deal worth less money. So if your complaint isn't based upon devaluing your car, it's about exclusivity, or snobbery.

You bought an pseudo-attainable mass produced supercar and you're upset that the people that can't afford it, have copied it, robbing you of the exclusivity of ownership. After all, if someone else drives a car that a non car enthusiast thinks the same as yours, then yours suddenly isn't so cool in their and your eyes.

Now, doesn't that come across snobbish?

Just the way I see it and you asked.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #33
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
This site would be nothing without "people making their car into something that it is not". Many a sponsor here make a pretty good living at exactly that. As I've said before: imitations will only impress the uninformed, and the uninformed are easily impressed. Feel free to quote me as necessary.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Making a clone car is nothing new, hell i remember going to car shows when I was younger and seeing how many malibu's were cloned to chevelle SS's and satellites cloned to road runners. Nature of the beast. I agree with most, that I think good taste should draw the line at re-badging, but people going to do what they do. I had a firehawk many years back and slp did a pretty masterful job at keeping their parts off other cars ( I had a slight fender bender that ruined their optional rear spoiler on my 00 hawk and they actually sent a representitive to the auto body shop before they would send them a replacement, and took the old one back when it was removed), but they parts still leak out. And the ford camp is way worse at cloning from my long experience in the Mustang world. There are more "faux-bra's" than you can shake a stick at. Now lets talk about fiero's with ferrarri body kits on them! LOL, that's swinging for the fences in the poser world!

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #35
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
"Most people aren't you, so just be embarrassed for them, so they don't have to. It sounds to me that you actually are wanting to piss off those with ZL1 front ends on their non-ZL1 Camaros, otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. "

Not true. I posted in the ZL1 section and asked ZL1 owners. I'm sorry if it wasn't politically correct enough not to offend anyone. I forgot that I was in the "new America" where you can only have an opinion if it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Seriously, I was not trying to make anyone feel badly. It's not my style. I mocked myself as "King Of The Trailer Park" too.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
built not bought
(;
Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
mikepconline

Drives: 2013 ZL1
As a ZL1 owner it doesn't bother me at all. If adding the ZL1 parts to there car makes them happy, I'm okay with it. I call that love for you car. Giving it a personal touch.
I compare that to people building the kit Cobra car. It's not a real Cobra but they like it.

"I have one speed, I have one gear: Go!"
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #38
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Hey, back off my sock!

I understand where you're coming from, but even if it isn't intended as such, you come across like a whiner. You seem annoyed that someone paid less than you did yet has a car that looks just like yours.

C'mon man, really? Who cares. You know you paid for the real deal, and clones don't devalue your vehicle at all. Clones have been around in the car enthusiast world for ages. Pros know the difference and the existence of clones never makes the real deal worth less money. So if your complaint isn't based upon devaluing your car, it's about exclusivity, or snobbery.

You bought an pseudo-attainable mass produced supercar and you're upset that the people that can't afford it, have copied it, robbing you of the exclusivity of ownership. After all, if someone else drives a car that a non car enthusiast thinks the same as yours, then yours suddenly isn't so cool in their and your eyes.

Now, doesn't that come across snobbish?

Just the way I see it and you asked.
Part of the reason IS that it partially devalues the car. Perception is reality and if it is perceived that the ZL1 is a dime a dozen, it will not retain any value for me when I unavoidably decide to sell my car in another 6 months. I trade my cars like a fool. Like I wrote before, I don't care what people think, therefore I have no problem driving a Camaro when my business associates are driving cars twice the price as mine and breaking my balls.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I understand your despair, but I think you're worrying too much for the wrong reasons. People cloning the ZL1's looks is NOT devaluing the car. Supply and demand is. But that's another story.

Look around. It's not like the ZL1 is flying off the lots and I don't know of ANYONE recently that bought a new one and paid full price. Effectively they are becoming a dime a dozen. There's folks with 2012 and early 2013 ZL1 coupes that paid more than I did for a loaded convertible. There may be some out there that do pay sticker or more, but they're uneducated as to what deals are out there. If you're one not to keep your car that long, you're better off leasing perhaps.

Relax, enjoy your car for the beast that it is, and let others worry about whether someone is in their garage secretly adding ZL1 parts to their 1SS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 05-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #40
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Yes it's annoying. My next car will be a GTR or a Viper. Seems to be the comparable cars that aren't knocked off by every person with an eBay account.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #41
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you're that focused on someone else's stuff, then you'll never be satisfied.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 05-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #42
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I personally can't allow myself to car about stuff like that. I had a 69 camaro Z/28 clone when I was younger. I could not affoard the real deal.

Most poeple don't even know what a Zl1 is. where I work one of the guys has an SS and to most people we have the same car.

I paid the extra money for the drive not what other people with think of it. GTR or some car without a base is the way to go if that is your thing. mustang's and camaro's will always be cloned.

I don't care about third part perception though. if you do buy something other than a mustang or a camaro.

vipers and GTR are great cars but they are not a "drivable" day to day as a car like this IMO. that is why I have a Zl1 cause I get to actaully use it more.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Closed Thread