Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Rafael205

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
U0109 & P069E Lost communication with fuel pump control module

Hey everyone,
I've searched around and can't seem to get a clear answer on what I should do.

My situation:
For the past couple months, I've been getting a CEL that will randomly come on at start up every week, maybe two weeks (it's not consistent). I had the code read and the codes were u0109 and p069e. It seems that for some reason I am losing communication with the fuel pump control module.

The strange thing is that the CEL usually turns off after 5 start ups or so, but returns at a random point of time.

Thoughts? I would really appreciate some help with this issue..
Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
It's not something you can fix on your own, take it in to an electrical auto shop. Could be the module, could be wiring, could be one of the fuel pumps, could even be a different module. One thing you can test on your own is the battery/alternator, but that's unlikely
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I would start by going through all the grounds in the electrical system to clean the cable and attachment surfaces. If it doesn't fix the problem, knowing the grounds are all good eliminates a major variable.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Rafael205

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
It's not something you can fix on your own, take it in to an electrical auto shop. Could be the module, could be wiring, could be one of the fuel pumps, could even be a different module. One thing you can test on your own is the battery/alternator, but that's unlikely
You're right Chasing down electrical problems is such a pain.. Yeah, I may want to test both the battery and alternator. I'm at 69K miles and have never changed the battery in the 5 years I've owned the car. Thank you for your input.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Rafael205

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I would start by going through all the grounds in the electrical system to clean the cable and attachment surfaces. If it doesn't fix the problem, knowing the grounds are all good eliminates a major variable.
Yeah, I thought of doing that, but I'm not familiar with the car's electrical system. Heck, I don't even know where all the wires for the fuel pump control module run through..
Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Rafael205

Update: Took the car into the dealer yesterday morning and they said it had 66 low-voltage codes stored. They said it could be something as easy as replacing the battery or a more involved issue. They cleared the codes and I drove home. I replaced the battery this morning with a platinum duralast. After a couple startups, the CEL came back. I'll be heading back to the dealer soon to drop the car off to see what they end up finding.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael205 View Post
Yeah, I thought of doing that, but I'm not familiar with the car's electrical system. Heck, I don't even know where all the wires for the fuel pump control module run through..
I was referring to the big grounds from the battery to the chassis and engine block. The small ground by the cold air box, etc...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Rafael205

Update: So I ended up going to the dealership. Their diagnosis said that the VCIM Module (Onstar Module) had gone bad. they replaced it for $814 out the door. I've driven about 1500 miles since then and the CEL has not come back. This was definitely a strange diagnosis, but it looks like they may have fixed the issue.