Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #1
Ant102

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT
First ever post! Please help me in diagnosing a problem with my 2016 Camaro LT v6

Hello everyone! I've watched this forum for years and looked at it for troubleshooting in the past and finally decided to become a member and see if I could get some expert help!

Timeline:

2 weeks ago my car randomly threw a CEL. The only noticable thing was driving the car there was a sound coming from under the hood, I noticable odor of gas inside the car and an extremely rough idle. I took it home and the next day took it to auto parts for run the CEL. This video has the sound that comes from under the intake manifold

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvMWWJvTv6w

The next day all the spark plugs and ignition coil was changed by Blacks Tire and Auto: he confirmed the ignition coil was bad (not sure how factual any of this is). But the damn car still missfires. They also did a top engine clean and a "fuel cleaner" all of which they did free but didn't work.
Next day brought it to Chevy.

(Please note Blacks Tire wrote down all the troubleshooting they did and what their findings were with guage test and all for Chevy not to repeat the same tests.)
The first day they quoted me 4 hours of labor to remove the IM and soak the intake valves for carbon. It would take 24 hours!

Days later they test drove and my "starter blew randomly" and they automatically ordered another while charging me but didn't charge me to tow the car back. They offered me extended warranty pricing which was $80 less from the almost $400.
Starter replaced, and they mentioned using a fuel cleaner (AGAIN) and claimed now they want to sens my downpipes out for $400 and do a timing chain reset of some sorts and replace all of smth else for an estimated $4500!! The car is the same exact way as it went in. I've been told they don't need to remove the downpipes at all so I paid and left with the car to fight the charges and find out why my starter really blew.

My Camaro just had an oil change and gets one every 5-8000 miles. Please help me with ideas to get this car fixed.

Last edited by Ant102; 05-27-2021 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Video added for better help and clarified
Ant102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:12 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
is there a reason why the diagnostic codes aren't being reported ? i'm not sure what you're gonna get here just from the sound when the car was giving much more concrete info via odb
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
Ant102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
is there a reason why the diagnostic codes aren't being reported ? i'm not sure what you're gonna get here just from the sound when the car was giving much more concrete info via odb
Yes there is. When I ran the code it was about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't been able to drive it over and have it reran to see if it's still the same code. I recall P0302 but I'm not able to confirm 100% today
Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. Sorry to hear of your car problems. I have some idea of what of the direction I would look at. None of them are stated in your post. First, I have a couple of questions and opinions.
1) I believe your starter issue is completely separate problem from everything else. Not related.
2) There are no "downpipes" on a V6 Camaro.They are only on a turbo 4 . So that's suspicious
3) Your car is direct injected and I believe that is where your problem is.
I suspect that you have one or more of your fuel injectors clogged or the opposite. Pumping too much fuel in and creating an extremely rich condition.
That noise in your video is your fuel injectors clicking. Typical on direct injection vehicles.
4) I don't believe for a second, you had a coil bad. But stuck injectors can foul spark plugs!
5) The decarbon thing is legitimate as direct injection can cause more carbon buildup.
5) I also wonder why they aren't reading your trouble codes.
6) I also would look at your EGR valve and system(exhaust gas recirculation). Valve could be all coverd in carbon or a chunk of carbon holding the valve open. This could also cause your symptoms
7) Anyone bother to check the condition of your air filter. ( Just sayin)

Last edited by Jb54; 05-27-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Spell check correct
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I would run away from these guys. Any reputable shop will hook up a diagnostic scanner and can tell if you have an injector misfire, a coil misfire, bad plug wire, or EGR issue. Carbon build up my arse, the LGX has no history of carbon build up. I use Mobil One full syn and every other oil change I clean my MAF sensor, and every fourth change the air filter. I checked the plugs at 25k and they all look good. No fouling or lean condition. I think someone mis-diagnosed your original problem and now you are paying for it. Timing Chain reset? WTF. The only thing that I could think of is if you over reved the motor, Most people don't know the LGX in the 2016 does NOT have a rev limiter and you cannot do a no lift shift, and if you did over rev it you could have damaged the valve train.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i have a 2015 LFX with 67,000 miles on it.other than changing the oil every 5k ive done nothing and it still runs like new.as to carbon buildup are you having to add oil in between changes?more oil consumption would lead to more carbon buildup.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I agree with jb54 above, mainly there are a lot of questions.

That clicking does not sound normal to me. Someone with a V6 can chime in.
The smell of gas, rough idle, and "carbon" buildup sounds like injector stuck open somewhere. Should not be hard to isolate.

The troubleshooting steps you describe and your starter "blowing randomly" do not inspire confidence in those "mechanics."

P0302 is cylinder 2 misfire. If that is the only code, I would try disconnecting injector for cylinder #2 and see if noise or idle behavior changes.

Last edited by ctrlz; 05-27-2021 at 12:00 PM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
… 2) There are no "downpipes" on a V6 Camaro.They are only on a turbo 4 . So that's suspicious…
I’m no expert or sure on anything but I thought the LGX had downpipes since they did the integrated exhaust manifold?
Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 05-27-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #9
Ant102

Everyone thank you so much for all the comments! Yes I've managed to find the worst mechanics...

Yesterday I randomly decided to take the IM off and look into the inside. I noticed in cylinder 2 where all the missfires coming from that both intake valves are open (click link for pic of it) and look all white and coked up. I didn't mess with it further. Think I found the issue to start but where do I go with what I see? Any advice helps![IMG]https://ibb.co/nsVZrVp[/IMG

Last edited by Ant102; 05-29-2021 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Upload fail
Old 05-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #10
redcoats1976

you really need to get those valves clean.what do all the other valves look like? if they are much cleaner something must be causing a problem with that cylinder.possibly a bad injector for that cylinder? i believe i would ask forum members for a garage in your area that has done good work for them and see what that garage has to say.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I've read people say not to do cleaners like Lucas on DI engines, maybe for this reason?
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
redcoats1976

ive heard it puts the deposits from the coking into the cylinder walls which causes a lot of scratches and wear.walnut shell bead blasting is supposed to be the way,there are threads here somewhere on this.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
If you got the IM off which it looks like you do rotate to close the intakes and spray down with seafoam, CRC, or AC Delco intake cleaner. let the intakes you sprayed sit for 30 minutes and keep repeating until clean. If you fill the closed valve with cleaner and it leaks down that also might tell you have a bent valve.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:18 AM   #14
Ant102

New find as of today! Oil leaking from around cylinder 2.

Tags
camaro rs