Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
OldOwner
Camaro "Newbie"

Drives: Camaro SS 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
If you end up with 20" wheels, the OEM tire diameter is 28.7". Make sure the fronts and rears are the same diameter to avoid traction control problems.
I will check that at the tire shop, thanks for letting me know.
OldOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #16
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Congratulations on the new to you Camaro. You got one with a rare color, if I recall correctly, that was a single model year color option (2014 only I believe). It was one of those colors that looked awful online on the "build your own" on the Chevy website, so not a lot of people ordered cars in that color. But, like the 2010 only Aqua Blue Metallic (which also looked horrid that year on the online build tool), the color looks awesome in person. Nice find, and good looking car.

Now, back on topic, I also live in an area where there are lots of potholes and rough roads at times, which can be hard on the larger wheel sizes. With the stock brembo brake calipers, if you switch to brake pads that don't have the "roller skate" counter weights on the back of them, you can go all the way down as small as an 18 inch rim if you so choose. So you have options for more sidewall if that is a concern.

I drive my car up in the mountains a fair bit too, with some travel on single lane roads where you have to get over in the gravel to let another car by coming the opposite direction. In some areas, the shoulder can be a bit of a drop off to the side where a 20 or especially a 22 inch rim could get damaged. For these reasons, I went with 18 inch aftermarket wheels on my car, and kept the stock set for summer only or track conditions.

Whatever your need or desire for your car, when choosing aftermarket wheels and different tires, make sure you use a tire calculation tool online (you can google search for one) There, you can put in the sizes for the wheels you're considering and try different tire sizes out before you buy, and it will calculate how much different from stock size you will be and how much your speedometer will be off by. In my case, even though I was going with a smaller wheel size, I used a larger tire size to try to match as close to the overall wheel+tire diameter as the stock set that the car was intended to be used with. That way, you won't notice any drastic differences in the handling characteristics of the car.

Keep this in mind too, if your overall diameter is smaller than stock, your speedometer will show you going faster than you actually are going, plus, you'll end up putting more miles on the odometer than you're actually driving. If you go larger than stock, it will show you are going slower than you're actually going, and you'll end up putting less miles on the odometer than you're actually driving. Going too drastic a change in either direction will have a negative impact on not just how the car handles, but can also impact you getting a ticket easier, or putting more miles on your car than you'd want. These are things to be aware of.

In my case, the smaller wheel plus larger tire was very very close to the stock diameter, and it is nearly unnoticeable at lower speeds. However, once I get up to 60-65 miles per hour, it is actually going 62-67 miles per hour (roughly). For every hundred miles I actually go, it only puts 97-98 miles on the odometer. So, not enough difference that I bothered to go have it re-programmed for the new setup, when I still switch to the stock setup on occasion. Just something you have to be mindful off when switching wheels and tires. You can keep an old GPS or something in the car that shows your speed based on GPS rather than wheel revolutions if you do something more drastic than I did.

I know this response was a little long winded, but I just wanted to give you some information to help if you decide to pick your own wheels and tires, use different sizes and whatnot. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOwner View Post
I will check that at the tire shop, thanks for letting me know.
Even if you buy locally, tirerack.com is a great resource for searching tire brands, tire performance tests, and specs like diameter.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I've seen too many aftermarkets crack and there used to be several threads on them with some scary pics.
GM wheels are built with quality and reliability in mind so i went with 6th gen SS wheels when i upgraded from the eighteens. You would need the 6th gen TMPS though.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #19
OldOwner
Camaro "Newbie"

Thanks for the three replies before this post. I will go to TireRack and check out the calculations for what I bought. I have used them in the past for different cars and even looked there at wheels and tires but thought I could get something local and installed faster. All good points to consider when it comes to buying wheels and tires. I still cannot believe they put the current set up on the car before I bought it.

I will post here again after they are installed tomorrow. Tires are here, waiting on the wheels. I look forward to the change. Great forum, great information. Oh, you are right about the color. I couldn't find it online anywhere. I wasn't real keen on the color when I saw it online and only a little enthused the first time I saw it in person. But it is growing on me, it's unique and looks good to me now. I would have preferred a slight lean to crimson instead of purple.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #20
OldOwner
Camaro "Newbie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Even if you buy locally, tirerack.com is a great resource for searching tire brands, tire performance tests, and specs like diameter.
I went to TireRack but found this tire calculator at tiresize.com to be pretty easy.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Old 06-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I put 22's on my car when I first got it 2 years ago. They looked cool but was Efing heavy!! However it was the biggest waste of $2000!! I ended up putting the factory 20's back on.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Step 1: Install the factory 20"s. Step 2: Move on to next maintenance item.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #23
theflea42
#938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro
My car's got 21 inch wheels. It's supposed to be that way, well, because its a hot wheels edition. The little cars had great big wheels, so the full size car has to match!

SLP used to make a set of wheels just like the design, but in a 20 inch. The only ones I can find now are gray instead of black. 20 inch tires are a lot cheaper than 21 inch tires!

Last edited by theflea42; 06-24-2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added more info
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:05 AM   #24
LoneCynic

OldOwner: The color is unique and quite rare, and it is the closest in the color spectrum of all the 10-15 Camaros to a purple 5th gen. It will make the car stand out more and you won't encounter many like it. I personally saw one that color on a dealer lot back in 2014, and besides that, have only ever seen one out on the road since then, so it speaks to the rarity of the color. Mine is also a one model year only color (Blue Velvet metallic / 2015) as far as 5th gens go. However, they had a Dark Blue like that every year of the 5th gen run, so not as noticeable unless someone knows that. Imperial Blue Metallic for 2010-2012, Blue Ray Metallic for 2013-2014, and Blue Velvet for 2015, and the Blue Velvet is extremely close to Blue Ray, so much so that they take the same touch up in aftermarket touch up paint. Plus Blue Velvet carried over to 2016 on the 6th gens so not as rare as yours by any stretch of the imagination.

Aftermarket rims can be cheap and break, so if you go that route, make sure you research and choose some forged ones that are quality. The weight tradeoff is usually worth it over stock, so long as you get good ones. You're in Arizona, so you should be able to run a wider variety of tire types without as much concern for the weather as us midwest guys have to be.

Flea:WV is where I run my car on mountain roads quite a bit when I travel there. I bet your 21 inch wheels are a frustration point for sure when it comes to tires that fit them. That Hot wheels edition sure has a nice blue color though that is also quite rare. I like it a lot.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #25
OldOwner
Camaro "Newbie"

Update Thursday June 25th

Rims: Nichi Vosso M203 20-9 on front 20-10 on back
Tires: Continental Extreme Contact DWS06
Front: 245/45/20 Rear 275/40/20

After the switch:
- better acceleration to where it is noticeable
- smooth softer ride across rough surfaces
- felt better taking a 45mph curve at high speed

I might buy a summer set of tires later but right now I'll go with these. At 4,650 ft we do get some rain and snow in December but it's gone within hours. One reason I bought the all-weather tire.

45 mile test run and I am very happy with my purchase .. car, wheels and tires

Before top photo, after on bottom. Tire black will go on tomorrow morning, too hot right now to apply at 102°.
Attached Images

Last edited by OldOwner; 06-25-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
OldOwner
Camaro "Newbie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Step 1: Install the factory 20"s. Step 2: Move on to next maintenance item.
I don't think I have a maintenance item on the list. Mint condition, one previous owner that bought it new at the dealership downtown. They serviced it every 5,000 miles and the owner didn't drive it much more than that per year. I got lucky finding this car, it had been on the lot 17 days. Step 1 was completed today.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #27
LoneCynic

Hey, new set looks good man. Thanks for the update, let me know if you have any more questions about your car. Nice FJ by the way.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:32 AM   #28
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Big improvement! I bet you get a lot of attention with that color. It's nice when you find something well cared for. From what I've read here that's some good rubber you chose. I'm pretty frugal (aka cheap) so I personally wouldn't lay out the extra cash for "summer" tires unless you'll be involved in some form of racing. With 8 tires to use up at least one of the sets will dry rot before you get your money's worth.
Attached Images