Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
alexmak

Drives: 2013 1LE
front license plate in NJ

Hey NJ Camaro owners!

Today at covered bridge cruise I notices a couple of cars with NJ license plates that didn't have front license plate. What's the "fee" for this or what are the chances to talk yourself out of it with police officer? do they really want a front license plate in NJ on the front bumper?

and while on the subject, what is the best holder for the front license plate that would be the least obtrusive?
alexmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...plate-bracket/
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
alexmak

thanks Rock! this is my top contender, but i was also wondering if I could skip that option altogether

btw, do you recognize this guy?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
If you live in NJ, you must have a front license plate. Skip only if you love getting pulled over and constantly paying fines. I lost my front NJ license plate by moving to PA.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
alexmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
If you live in NJ, you must have a front license plate. Skip only if you love getting pulled over and constantly paying fines. I lost my front NJ license plate by moving to PA.
funny, I just moved from PA to NJ, so going back is not an option for some time. that's why I ask —*I saw several NJ cars without a front license plate and was wondering if there is something I don't know about it.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
There is no option. Like ChocoTaco369 says, it's a law. Lots of cars don't and run risk of getting pulled over. Most Vettes don't mount them. Me, like a dope told the dealer to mount it. I should've looked at hideaway systems before that bonehead move!
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
alexmak

I wonder how the hideaway option works in this case. imagine you hid the license plate and you get pulled over by police. what's the proper response here? "I'm sorry, officer, my front license plate is stuck somewhere underneath the car, let me get it for you. See, here's my license plate!"
Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
I bought my 2010 in August that was a NJ car it's entire life and no plate was ever mounted and the car has never seen the dealer since my ownership. Picked up the plates with another vehicle and the front just sits in the glove box.. if I every get pulled over I will say there is no mount and pray he/she is cool about it.. If it becomes a issue I'll prob get a hide away or a no drill option. No way am I mounting it in the front through the bumper though..
Attached Images

2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Here's what I did, I just installed it since I was stopped twice for no front plate but not issued a ticket.
Not sure of the ticket cost but I have heard it is around $60.00.

https://youtu.be/2vyLlEdljdc
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #10
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
i haven't had a plate on mine for the past 2 years and I've never gotten pulled over. My friend got pulled over and nicely told the cop that he was looking for a license plate bracket that didn't require him to drill holes into the bumper. the cop kinda replied "oh you can get one on amazon for cheap, drive safe". its not a big deal, ill never put one on. makes the front end look bad. i think the fine is like 50 bucks. not a big deal to me.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Put the front license plate on. I didn't have one for a while and got stopped on the highway for not having one (yes I was pulled over for this sole reason). It was between $50-60 from what I remember. I did what the guy in the video below shows. You can buy these bolts for cheap at a Home Depot or Lowes. Doesn't require any drilling into the bumper itself and goes under the lower front grill. I don't think it takes away from the front as much as other people say. If you want to show the car it's not difficult to take off. Nice 1LE btw to the OP...I love mine too!

RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
alexmak

my car was originally from Virginia, so it already has holes in the front bumper, though while I lived in PA, I put some plugs in there. Now I just don't want to put back that hideous plate holder that uses holes in the bumper. I guess I just go with jacfab option suggested above.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
BostiPB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the eliminator bracket. I have it clipped on when driving around and take it off for shows. The only disadvantage of it is the cost.

I originally had the bent face JacFab mount, but got a splitter installed. It added too much stress to the splitter for my liking.
2014 2SS/RS - Red Rock Metallic - Kooks Headers, Corsa Extreme, Factory Reproductions Z28 Rims, Pedders Coilovers, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Summit Racing Line Lock, GM Strut Brace, GM low profile splash guards, Roto-fab CAI, Oracle Ghosted Sidemarker Lights & Concept Mirrors, ZL1 Side Skirts, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eaton Truetrac, Yukon 4.11s, GForce Renegade Axles, Speedmaster79 Diff Cover, Offset Diff Bushings, Every Suspension Bushing Front & Rear Replaced with BMR Poly Bushings - 421HP 412TQ
BostiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
FastGirl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
I'm in NJ..mine was on the car I removed...got pulled over once by officer who wanted tocheck the car out more than he wanted to issue ticket...but when asked I told him the bracket broke and the dealership has one on order ...my plate is in the trunk if you want to see it...he said no thats ok...drive safe...

haven't been pulled over since...and honestly if pulled over for speeding, Id rather they write for missing plate than the speeding ticket LOL
FastGirl is offline   Reply With Quote