Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #57
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
My CAI has been on for about 20k miles and I haven't oiled it.
20k with out cleaning it? should have been cleaned several times by now. how dirty is it. I clean mine once a year and only put 5000 miles on it. id think I could get away with 10,000 miles if I drove it daily.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #58
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I'm guessing it's related to your catch can. Double check all the connections.
I've tripple checked and quadruple checked. Catch can is all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
20k with out cleaning it? should have been cleaned several times by now. how dirty is it. I clean mine once a year and only put 5000 miles on it. id think I could get away with 10,000 miles if I drove it daily.
Lol no 33k without cleaning it. It wasn't dirty even before cleaning it. I never cleaned a MAF before. Never even heard of cleaning it.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #59
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

What are some trans or driveline issues I could be looking at?

33k factory brake/clutch fluid, trans and diff. fluid. Factory trans components (clutch, slave, master ect.)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #60
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Take it to a shop already. We could guess for eternity but without an understanding of what's going on besides what you tell us it's not likely any guess here is going to solve it.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #61
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Take it to a shop already. We could guess for eternity but without an understanding of what's going on besides what you tell us it's not likely any guess here is going to solve it.
I did take it to a shop. Guy drove it and replicated the problem. Now I have an appointment on Wednesday.

I would like to just figure out whats up rather than take it to some place.

I've tried everybody's recommendation in this thread........except for actually changing the oil again.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #62
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Pull the nanny fuses and drive it. Maybe it's an issue with the vast array of systems that are utilized.

Although the car probably needs to be properly hooked to the scanner (not just a code reader) and see what's going on.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #63
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Since you wiped the wires in the MAF sensor I would be leaning towards damage to that. It won't matter if you used the spray afterward, the initial touching of them caused damage. They are highly sensitive and that's why they say to use a special spray cleaner and not to touch them. Just my .02
Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #64
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post
Since you wiped the wires in the MAF sensor I would be leaning towards damage to that. It won't matter if you used the spray afterward, the initial touching of them caused damage. They are highly sensitive and that's why they say to use a special spray cleaner and not to touch them. Just my .02
I would agree with you and would replace that but the surging was happening far before I even touched the MAF.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #65
2SSLincolnSS2
SoCal

Drives: 2011 SS2
Likely vacuum leak; take the catch can out of the equation and make sure all the hoses are in place. If you happened to fix the possible vacuum leak (air getting into the engine not metered by MAF), but damaged the MAF, the problem may have migrated.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #66
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

PROBLEM SOLVED. Last sentence for those who want to skip the back story.

dropped the car off at a local garage (GM, mostly Corvette speciality shop). The car was there for 5 days because the guys mechanic quit. So my car was hardly touched. Just a scan tool plugged in. I picked the car up today because now I need my car for work and what not.

I fired up the car and a CEL instantly popped on and the car went into reduced engine power. I shut the car off after reading that on the DIC. Waited a minute and started it again. The car idled fine but still had a CEL. Got my car plugged in to a scan tool again and the code that came up was Throttle position switch.

Drove the car home because it was acting normal and the CEL was cleared. Once home I put on my factory TB (basically brand new) and took the car for a drive. Ran perfect with no surging/slipping feeling. I'll be swapping sensors from the factory TB to my ported TB. Throttle position sensor was going out, car runs great now.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #67
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Glad you found it!
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #68
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Oh good. What a PITA though!

Wonder why that code didn't come up before?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #69
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Oh good. What a PITA though!

Wonder why that code didn't come up before?
No clue. It's really weird how everythig played out with the timing of this event. I wish the CEL came on sooner. I would think it would come on when the surging started because it's malfunctioning. But then it's probably a certain threshold that has to be met to trigger a CEL.

Amazing how that sensor started to malfunction in about 15,000 miles. Its an AC Delco TB bought off of rock auto that got ported by Bo before he got banned off of here for a little.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #70
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
A lot of times a TPS won't throw a code. I've seen them fail many times. The old ones were easy to check with a multimeter, the encased drive by wire throttle bodies a little more difficult.