Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
If you think you will get really serious about it, think about getting one with a HANS device or one that is ready for one down the road. This was touched on earlier as well I believe.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #16
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
this is the one i have if i did it again id go spend the extra for the carbon fiber one but it still works the same!

https://store.windingroad.com/black-...mets-c198.aspx
Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
1. buy a full-face helmet

2. buy something with provisions for HNRS

Full face: even in a closed car, you should be running a full face helmet with the visor down. Debris launched into your windshield can penetrate, or shower you with glass shards. Check out ~0:40 and the slow-mo after.

You can see the glass shards clearly in the slo-mo... and you can see he belatedly drops his visor. With the turbulent air in the cockpit, normal glasses are not eye protection.

You want a helmet with HNRS provisions, even if you aren't going to use them immediately. Currently the only HNRS compatible with 3 point belts is the Simpson Hybrid S, which is pricey. I assume you're still using the stock belts, but if you have a 5-6pt harness, there are other HNRS available at much more reasonable prices.

If your 'helmet' budget is $1k, I'd spend a bit more and get the Hybrid S and a more budget helmet.

When I updated to SA2015, I bought Zamp helmets, and they're perfectly decent helmets for the price. Two years in, I don't have any regrets.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I have a cheapo RaceQuip that I paid less than $200 for that gets the job done, but I'm mainly drag racing.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

i used to have a open face when i first started racing and a bunch of guys on the old forum i was on used to say how gay i was going to look drag racing and i was like well ill be road racing but thanks lol

takes awhile to get used to full face vs open face but im fine now but im a mouth breather so it is hard to run with visor down all the time and not fog it up
Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #20
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have worn Arai helmets for many years now when I was on the bikes. I still have my last one which works at the drag strip and from what I have been told the Aut-x events. SCCA or HPDE events require the SA2015 or higher automobile rating in order to be legal.

I looked at the Arai's last year, but I held off until I finally get a plan in place for the track.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #21
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I noticed that many of these helmets have a duck bill option that has the protrusion below the chin area presumably to prevent or reduce neck injuries from the head being slammed forward during a frontal collision. Do you guys recommend that duck bill design or does it restrict movement too much for my purposes?

Here is an example:

https://pyrotectstore.com/product/pr...ill-white-copy
The Duck Bill has nothing to do with Crashing and Neck Injuries. A from DuckBill is to be used in an Open Wheel car where wind buffeting can try to lift the helmet off you head. The duckbill pushes the helmet down
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
1. buy a full-face helmet

2. buy something with provisions for HNRS

Full face: even in a closed car, you should be running a full face helmet with the visor down. Debris launched into your windshield can penetrate, or shower you with glass shards. Check out ~0:40 and the slow-mo after.

You can see the glass shards clearly in the slo-mo... and you can see he belatedly drops his visor. With the turbulent air in the cockpit, normal glasses are not eye protection.

You want a helmet with HNRS provisions, even if you aren't going to use them immediately. Currently the only HNRS compatible with 3 point belts is the Simpson Hybrid S, which is pricey. I assume you're still using the stock belts, but if you have a 5-6pt harness, there are other HNRS available at much more reasonable prices.

If your 'helmet' budget is $1k, I'd spend a bit more and get the Hybrid S and a more budget helmet.

When I updated to SA2015, I bought Zamp helmets, and they're perfectly decent helmets for the price. Two years in, I don't have any regrets.
Great post, thank you.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #23
BMR Sales

OP, People have different size & shape Heads, so it's important to get a Helmet that fits properly and is comfortable - there is nothing worse than having a Helmet on for Hours that has a pressure point on your Melon!

So find a Shop that Stocks Helmets and will let you try them on - Wine Country Motorsports, Stable Energies, etc

I personally wear a Carbon Fiber Bell. Simpson & Arais don't fit me well

Old 01-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
kropscamaro16

oh thats a fancy helmet! who did that for you?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #25
BMR Sales

the Guy's name is Mike Savage of Savage Designs on the East Coast of Florida. He paints for a lot of IndyCar & IMSA Drivers.

His price to paint helmets is more than Most guys will even pay for a Helmet ( about $1500). I'm glad I didn't pay for it! I Won a Auction at Lemons of Love that was racing related that included a Bell Helmet and Paint (the 1st & only time that Mike has donated his services). Bell was really cool in that they let me upgrade the Helmet to Carbon Fiber at No Charge and I waited for the SA2015s to become available ( mine was one of the 1st as it was in the order queue )

I collect Professionally Race Worn Helmets.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #26
kropscamaro16

oh wow nice! do you wear any of them also or just for display?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #27
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I have worn Arai helmets for many years when I was on the bikes. I still have my last one which works at the drag strip and from what I have been told the Aut-x events. SCCA or HPDE events require the SA2015 or higher automobile rating in order to be legal.

I looked at the Arai's last year, but I held off until I finally get a plan in place for the track.
Same here. I knew Arai’s fit my head. I purchased a GP-5W after some research, because I couldn’t try anything on (no race shops nearby). Full face, with Hans ports. Seems good so far, but my car is a sunroof and I was surprised how low I had to drop the seat to fit. About 2” lower than my regular position. I won’t get to my first track day until MAR, just collecting gear for now - but the Arai is a quality piece and seems like a good value (full face, visor, Hans ports) at under $800.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #28
kropscamaro16

yup people think they sunroof is no joke i always order a car without sunroof if i know i will be tracking it...my buddy has the same car as me before cobalt ss and he actaully broke his sunroof a few times from going on track too much and causing the body to flex and break the tracks