Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #57
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
But the turbos are already small. Can't see them going down even further in size. I'm betting there is other things they could do to help reduce lag.

Not to mention, very little lag was one of the early talking points from GM concerning the LF3, so I can't see it being a big deal.
I wasn't very clear but what I was trying to say is the LF3 already has small turbos to reduce lag.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #58
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I wasn't very clear but what I was trying to say is the LF3 already has small turbos to reduce lag.
You have to remember it is a twin turbo setup. They can flow a lot of air on the top end. We are already seeing the CTS-V Sports getting over 450 RWHP and 500 RWTQ with just a tune. The LF3 is easily capable of 500 crank HP without changing the turbos.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #59
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But otherwise, I don't see a performance reason to go with the TTV6 over the V8. I understand more mundane & practical engineering reasons to go that route, but performance wise? A big thumping V8 with an extra 30 hp & ft-lbs of torque should trump a TTV6 in the same car.
The previous generation had a V8. All others (including the current one) have turbo 6s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Believe me I wouldn't mind seeing an LT1 under that hood I just think they want to be more "sofistcated" than an OHV V8 comes across. That DOHC TT V6 looks to fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think firefighter is on the right track here. Something about the TTV6 in this type of car just "seems" to make more sense. It "appears" to be more advanced than a OHV V-8. It makes it appear more sophisticated even if it isn't(bc we know the LT1 is a very advanced engine, and one hell of an engine too). I don't know if I am wording it right, but IMO I think it has to do with marketing and making it seem more techy and advanced which is why I believe the TT6 is the right engine for this car.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #60
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
You have to remember it is a twin turbo setup. They can flow a lot of air on the top end. We are already seeing the CTS-V Sports getting over 450 RWHP and 500 RWTQ with just a tune. The LF3 is easily capable of 500 crank HP without changing the turbos.
I don't follow the V sport very much so I wasn't aware it gained that much from a tune. It will be interesting to see what kind of power it makes in the ATS-V.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #61
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
I don't follow the V sport very much so I wasn't aware it gained that much from a tune. It will be interesting to see what kind of power it makes in the ATS-V.
Edmunds got 388 RWHP out of the CTS-V stock, so it seems the 420 crank HP is actually underrated a bit. We'll need to see some more dyno pulls on stock ones to see if this was an outlier. Edmunds also got 415 RWHP out of an LT1 in a Z51 Stingray which is supposed to be 460 crank HP. So it may mean Edmunds has a happy dyno.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Edmunds got 388 RWHP out of the CTS-V stock, so it seems the 420 crank HP is actually underrated a bit. We'll need to see some more dyno pulls on stock ones to see if this was an outlier. Edmunds also got 415 RWHP out of an LT1 in a Z51 Stingray which is supposed to be 460 crank HP. So it may mean Edmunds has a happy dyno.
I've noticed that too. Almost every car that Edmunds straps to a dyno turns out to be under-rated, including ones that are SAE certified (such as all GM products). Which means either a) they're getting sent ringers by every manufacturer b) or they dyno they use is generous. I would lean towards the latter, but either way it probably isn't the best idea to use them as a reliable baseline.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #63
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
It's sitting low. It might have adjustiable supsension as standard!

DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #64
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
It's important to note the intended market for the ATS-V. Think Audi and BMW, both of whom have Forced Induction 6s, now, in their top performance versions (S4-5 and M3-4). It's where that market is going (and MB AMG will follow shortly).

The CTS-V will get the LT4 and, for GM, the LT1 will power the Alpha Camaro, initially.

The L A Auto Show reveal for the ATS-V will be an event worth watching.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #65
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
It's important to note the intended market for the ATS-V. Think Audi and BMW, both of whom have Forced Induction 6s, now, in their top performance versions (S4-5 and M3-4). It's where that market is going (and MB AMG will follow shortly).

The CTS-V will get the LT4 and, for GM, the LT1 will power the Alpha Camaro, initially.

That's true but Cadillac can't expect to cut into their sales by copying what they do. Cadillac needs to set itself apart somehow because they are the established brands. Cadillac needs a way to break away from the group. It's an uphill battle for the ATS because it's the new kid on the block.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #66
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Keep in mind the S4 is not the top Audi. In the sedan the 3.0 SC engine at 33 HP is. But you can get an RS5 here in the states with the V8 that makes over 400 HP (torque is low 300s though). Now when a new model comes out that may change. But the S4/5 is not a competitor for the M3/4 nor the ATS-V. It doesn't make near enough power to be considered. Audi sadly does not bring the RS4 to the US.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #67
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Cts-V *SPORT *
Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #68
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Quote:
That's true but Cadillac can't expect to cut into their sales by copying what they do. Cadillac needs to set itself apart somehow because they are the established brands. Cadillac needs a way to break away from the group. It's an uphill battle for the ATS because it's the new kid on the block.
I agree with JOE. As much as I would love to see it done the good ole american way by stuffing a big V8 in it, I don't think that the market they are going for would go for that. They want to be able to say our main competitors have turbo 6ers, fine we will beat them with our turbo 6.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #69
jcamaro37f

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #70
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
If its not at least a LT1, its a joke. LT4 pls.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote