Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
RedStar Raider

Drives: 2013 Supercharged 2SS/RS
Squeaky door closure

I've owned my newest Camaro (2013 SS/RS) for a month now with less 800 miles and I have a squeaky drivers door closure, sounds exactly like my 1968 SS/RS did. It obviously had worn door hinges, but not the new one! Has anyone else experience this condition? I would think after paying over $40K for a new car, this wouldn't be an issue.

RSR
RedStar Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Chris6067

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Sounds to me they made your car slightly EXTRA retro...

Nah, I'd take it to the dealer and ask about it. I doubt it's anything major, maybe the door hinges never got oiled?
Chris6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Elementkng20
HTCC: canthonyIOM27

Drives: 2012 IOM 1LT/V6/A6
Mine did that as well when I got my car, about a month ago. You'd shut the door and it would slightly squeak, or seem like something was being rubbed.

I took it to a Cadillac dealership (fiance works there so I get major discounts, plus service at Cadillac I feel is so much better) and I had them check the car out top to bottom.

After I got the car back the door is fine now, probably just needed to be oiled a lot.
MRT V2 w/ 4" Magnaflow tips
Visual
Blacked out emblems, rear & bezels
Plasti dipped SS wheels
Tint 30% front; 5% rear
Matte black hood spears/side gills
Color matched interior accents
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
132SS

Drives: 2013 2SS
My passenger door does it and when I took it in for service I mentioned it. Service guy said it the wind coming out of the door when you shut it. Explained that drivers door doesn't do it nor did the car I test drove before. Still isn't fixed but will be brought up on my next service. I believe it's a door hinge problem from the heavy doors.
132SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Mine has squeaked, but it seemed to come from the window sealing itself when I shut the door. You know how the window cracks open when you open the door then raises when you shut it. I need to check it again. Been almost 5 days since I drove her.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
a little wd-40 will go a long way!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStar Raider View Post
I've owned my newest Camaro (2013 SS/RS) for a month now with less 800 miles and I have a squeaky drivers door closure, sounds exactly like my 1968 SS/RS did. It obviously had worn door hinges, but not the new one! Has anyone else experience this condition? I would think after paying over $40K for a new car, this wouldn't be an issue.

RSR
Hello RedStar Raider,

Sorry you're having a bit of a noisy door issue here. Have you had the opportunity to speak with a dealer about this concern? If not, I recommend doing so. I can help set this visit up for you if you like.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Mine has squeaked, but it seemed to come from the window sealing itself when I shut the door. You know how the window cracks open when you open the door then raises when you shut it. I need to check it again. Been almost 5 days since I drove her.
I have both, and they are distinct. Right there at the end when the door closes the squeak happens, from the hinge or hitting the latch, I don't know. But then also the window closing that 1/4 inch gap makes a noise against the bottom window seal.

They bother me, OP said it does it on a $40k car, well it does it on my $60k car. Honestly, venting time, every time someone brings up a quality issue on a ZL1 they always say that isn't what you paid that money for. Ok, that is true, I paid the extra to get the ZL1, but the first $40k is to get the same quality as an SS.

So one day I'll probably start a thread about general Quality issues and what everyone's reasonable expectations are, because I love my car, but frankly it's kind of a piece of crap. And I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I really do expect little things like a brand new car door not squeaking, the plastic not falling off on the inside, and the trunk not rubbing the paint off every time I close it out of brand new car that is manufactured to today's standards, or maybe I don't understand today's standards and mine are too high.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
RedStar Raider

Drives: 2013 Supercharged 2SS/RS
Thanks for all the replies, it was good to vent. It is truly sad that such a nice car has these little issues. I am still very happy to own a 5th gen Camaro. It seems like everybody and their brother owns a fartstain (mustang). I prefer to be different, and I have actually been waved at several times by other Camaro owners passing in opposite direction like bike riders do.

RSR
RedStar Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
Had this happen also. Took to dealership and they claimed they could not hear it. Will take it to different dealer next. I have tried WD40 with no luck. Seems like the latch mechanism itself somehow as that seems to be where it originates...
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
I use some old atf in a spray bottle. It dries tacky and lasts long. Top up the hinges every spring in all my gm care as they start to squeak after a while.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
deweyg63

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 500+ h.p. monster
Maybe time to learn how to do a few VERY MINOR things to your car. Get some oil or silicone and fix it. Simple...quick.....done.
deweyg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyg63 View Post
Maybe time to learn how to do a few VERY MINOR things to your car. Get some oil or silicone and fix it. Simple...quick.....done.
Applied a motorcycle chain lube inside the latch mechanism, no change.

Would you consider an engine top end rebuild, rear axle replacement, multiple exhaust system replacements, and a clutch change VERY MiNOR? Guess I learned those somewhere huh? Maybe engineering school? Not sure tho, as all we did there was pretty much math and science that we never use....

Done them all...but the solution to this has escaped the OP and others in this thread. Strongly suspect it is the internal to the latch mechanism itself, as it is not originating from the hinges, but rather it comes from within the striker area when the door is closed from wide open with some decent force behind it.

Just using the Forum to find out if others have experienced similar and if Chevy Customer Service is still listening to 5th Gen owners...
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
I noticed that my driver door also squeaks. Discovered that the rubber boot for the wiring was rubbing the door. Sounded like a door hinge, but turned out not to be.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote