Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
V6 to V4 Mode

When the V6 goes into V4 mode, is it the same two cylinders that are disabled, or is the disabled pair rotated around among the 6? I would think that the disabled pair would be rotated or the same two would receive an unequal amount of wear than the other 4.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
S!N!STER

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
S!N!STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
trcsr

I assume by your response you think that this is a stupid question. Well, if you criticize negatively you should respond positively. I did not think that it was a stupid question or I would not have asked it. Even though you apparently thought that it was, then why don't you give me an answer? I would not have asked if I didn't want to know.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I don't remember what the answer is. But I guess this will explain in details!

https://youtu.be/ZBQczoBOmE8
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I don't remember what the answer is. But I guess this will explain in details!

https://youtu.be/ZBQczoBOmE8
Watching this video. I could be wrong but I don't think this is how ours work. This seems to deactivate any number of cylenders (rather than running on only 4, it could run on 5 or 3 or even 2) depending on loads and also I believe in our cars there ARE specific cylenders that are deactivated rather than just a random selection.

I could be wrong though.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
On the LGX it only disables cylinders #2 & #5 for AFM. But the LGX is a very impressive power plant. Just all-around better design than previous 3.6’s. Tougher block and internals better cooling everywhere inside. The list goes on and on. Just look up LGX.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #7
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I've had the very same thoughts. If the deactivation is dedicated cylinders, wouldn't there be uneven wear---and uneven power impulses?
I could figure how it'd run on 3 cylinders pretty smoothly, but 4???
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
I've had the very same thoughts. If the deactivation is dedicated cylinders, wouldn't there be uneven wear---and uneven power impulses?
I could figure how it'd run on 3 cylinders pretty smoothly, but 4???
Cars have had this feature since the 80's. The piston is still moving in the cylinder, oil is still pumping, there is still friction wear, only difference is there is no combustion which under normal driving is not what causes wear anyway.

The only issues cars that have had this see is carbon and sludge build up if you drive in 4cly mode a lot and baby the car. If you accelerate rapidly from time to time there won't be an issue.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Wear happens to the compression rings every time there's a fuel combustion going on. It forces that ring tight to the cylinder wall. Piston slap is also to be considered.
There's wear, believe me.
I remember the early '80's when Cadillac tried it out, and it wasn't to dayam smooth, either.
They must have solved some issues, I'd just like to know how they got it to run so doggone smooth.
Only way I can tell, is a slight exhaust sound change, and the display indicating it.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
Wear happens to the compression rings every time there's a fuel combustion going on. It forces that ring tight to the cylinder wall. Piston slap is also to be considered.
There's wear, believe me.
Actually the opposite happens under compression. In excess you have blow by, in excess beyond that the ring lands fail. There is no piston slap in a healthy modern motor.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
trcsr

Thanks to Nsxmatt and mdhopt36 for your sincere reply's. I still am not sure which way it works, but am less concerned about the wear. For one thing, I am not a hard driver (I am getting average 28.4 mpg so far for the first 1300 miles of driving) but I do not see the V4 very often, so most of the time I am running in the V6 mode.

I had a friend that had a 4-6-8 Caddy back in the 80's and, as I recall it was in the Caddy dealer repair shop more than his driveway. Part of that might have been due to his son driving in a sort of jack rabbit style because he liked to see the indicator change numbers and the jerky feeling when the no. of active cylinders changed.