Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
Titanium Valve Spring Retainers?

I have been hearing horrible stories about Titanium Valve spring retainers wearing and pitting on single and dual coil springs. I know several of you are using them in your LS engines and was wondering if these problem are true or just installer errors or not using the correct retainer with the correct spring. All the major shops seem to use and continue to sell them with their cam and valves spring kits Lingenfelter, BTR, Nikey, Livernois, Jannetty and many more even putting long warranties on there engines with ti retainers. Have any of you or shops found any wearing problems with them? I am in the market to put a cam, pushrods and valve springs in my ZL but kind of confused about ti retainers. Your experience and advise would be greatly appreciated.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
Dega Man

I've wondered about this as well. I talked with Livernois about this same subject. You might get more feedback if you post this in the Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications thread on here.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Little Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
I've wondered about this as well. I talked with Livernois about this same subject. You might get more feedback if you post this in the Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications thread on here.
Thanks! What did Livernois have to say about the Ti Retainers?
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Dega Man

Livernois stated that have installed and sold thousands of their dual spring, ti retainer valve spring kits and have not had any retainers to pit, gall or wear. Several vehicles have gone well over 50,000 miles with no issues. I have a couple of ZL1's with their cam, ti retainers and dual spring kit. I did read the Hot Rod write up about short live ti retainers, but Livernois kits have not had those problems.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote