Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
R&T - The Camaro ZL1 1LE Is the Greatest Track Car GM Has Ever Made

Some pretty good reading here and the author gives a lot of credit to our Z/28s.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...pcoty-preview/
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would agree. Although I think it would have been more appealing to me if the A10 was an option.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I would agree. Although I think it would have been more appealing to me if the A10 was an option.
Sure, they could've wrung more sales out of the ZL1 1LE if they'd have offered an A10; however, they wanted to produce a true to it's roots, track car.

As Randy Pobst has stated on several occasions, "An automatic is quicker in the 1/4 mile, a standard is quicker on the track. A person can select the proper gearing better than a computer.".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
+1
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
aris

Drives: Z/28
I actually test drove a standard ZL1 a couple days ago - was (and still am) absolutely blown away by the acceleration, ride quality, and overall fit and finish. I genuinely believe that the only cars that are comparable to the ZL1 are the 991 Turbo and the Nissan GTR - that's it. Anyone who buys an M4, GT350, or whatever else, when they had the option of a ZL1, made a huge mistake.

Incredible car. Still not selling my Z/28 though.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
According to Car and Driver, it laps faster than a GT3RS and McLaren 650s around VIR. Check out #25 and how well it's still holding up

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ry-car-feature
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
And ran it at my favorite track... NCM

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
2013blackgt

Drives: Sedan
The best thing about that list is that the z/28 is about a second faster than the gt350r.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Notilloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013blackgt View Post
The best thing about that list is that the z/28 is about a second faster than the gt350r.
That's how it works at BIR and Road America. When there is a GT350R and a Z/28 on the track the Z/28 has always been faster every time I've gone. The GT350R sounds amazing though
Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Sure, they could've wrung more sales out of the ZL1 1LE if they'd have offered an A10; however, they wanted to produce a true to it's roots, track car.

As Randy Pobst has stated on several occasions, "An automatic is quicker in the 1/4 mile, a standard is quicker on the track. A person can select the proper gearing better than a computer.".
If it was all about being faster then why even offer a V6-1LE or SS-1LE?? If they offered it with the A10, then (according to RP) the only car that could touch it or beat it would be the ZL1-1LE with the M6. So those statements are nonsense. Plus just because RP thinks he is better with the M6 trans does not mean that everyone on the planet would feel the same way. Me personally, I would rather let the computer select the gear and then I can just concentrate on the track or the road. If I come in even a full 3 seconds behind someone with a the M6 trans then that's fine with me. Who's to say I won't beat someone else who has the M6 trans. To me the whole "getting to the roots of performance" argument is getting more illogical and harder to justify. I'd rather hear them say it was to keep the costs within a certain range than tell me some BS story about performance. Plus...GTR.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Notilloc

Quote:
If it was all about being faster then why even offer a V6-1LE or SS-1LE?? If they offered it with the A10, then (according to RP) the only car that could touch it or beat it would be the ZL1-1LE with the M6. So those statements are nonsense. Plus just because RP thinks he is better with the M6 trans does not mean that everyone on the planet would feel the same way. Me personally, I would rather let the computer select the gear and then I can just concentrate on the track or the road. If I come in even a full 3 seconds behind someone with a the M6 trans then that's fine with me. Who's to say I won't beat someone else who has the M6 trans. To me the whole "getting to the roots of performance" argument is getting more illogical and harder to justify. I'd rather hear them say it was to keep the costs within a certain range than tell me some BS story about performance. Plus...GTR.
Actually, most automatic cars are faster these days than manuals. RP can beat his chest all he wants but time and time again the automatic versions of the cars are putting down better times in all categories. See Porsche and Ferrari for reference, they aren't even making manuals anymore except for very special editions and those special editions are slower than the less expensive ones. Cars have gotten away from what they were originally about and yes they keep going faster and faster but to the point that it's taken a lot of the fun out of the true driving experience. It has nothing to do with cutting costs or anything other than the ZL1 1LE is a purist car and designed around a manual transmission. You bring up the GTR and that only proves my point, the GTR is very fast (not even close to as fast as this car) but it's not exactly an engaging car around a track. You won't understand because you're not a purist because if you were you'd never ask for an automatic even if it is faster. There are so very few cars that you can buy with a manual anymore, let us have this one. :P
Old 10-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
I'm simply stating what RP has mentioned on several occasions. If you are dead-set on an A10 in all of the 1LE models, start a petition and send it to GM. If enough signatures are obtained, perhaps they'll oblige.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
It's just about putting a true "sports car" together. I wouldn't think there is any financial reason GM couldn't put an A10 in the 1LE, they just didn't want to because it sort of goes against what they believe the car is supposed to be - which is a driver focused track car. The A10 could very well be faster in all situations, but as you said, it isn't always about going faster.

Most (not all) people that want the ZL1 1LE will want the M6, because it offers the purest driving experience of the two. If a buyer strongly prefers the A10, then by GM's logic, they should just get the standard ZL1. I don't really care what they do either way, but I do appreciate that GM makes a track oriented car that is only available with a manual.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
That Auto in a Z06 was faster on several tracks with different drivers.
I am the opposite. I don't care if it is faster. I am driving the car and I want the joy of a manual. Even if the auto is faster. Im sure in time you will see a driverless car that is faster then a human doesn't mean I want that either.

I old school... give me a manual.