Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
...Just Returned from Dealer after 1500 Mile Service

I dropped my car off to take care of two major issues along with an oil change and rear end fluid change.

Issue #1: Supercharger Rattle: Service manager says oh yeah I hear the issue when I drop my car off. Rental is provided. I pick it up...and i'm told that the noise is normal because they have another car that makes the same noise. WHAT A JOKE. They have two ZL1s that need new superchargers and state that no problem was found. "noise inherent to both"! UNBELIEVEABLE

Issue #2: I have black wheels. I drove 300 miles over the weekend so that I hit 1500 miles this week. All are dirty. But the black wheels suffer from a major lack of powder coating. Silver in several areas. Dealer says :No visible blemish. No difference compared to same wheels on different car."

This dealer is clearly on crack.

Not to mention I find a bonus when I get home and the ape they put in my car scratches my seat and plastic. Tried wiping it off when I got home and it seems like it might be permanent. Amazing.

AND to cap it off my car no longer smells like a new car with 1500 miles...it just smells like Oil!

Awesome!
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I hope you are going to complain to the service manager and the general manager (if needed). A $60k car should not be treated like car service fleet car.

Dealer service is what I miss about BMW. My M3's were always treated well. 4 different dealers and never a scratch, ding, or dirt.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I hope you are going to complain to the service manager and the general manager (if needed). A $60k car should not be treated like car service fleet car.

Completely agree. I would be the first to complain.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post

Dealer service is what I miss about BMW. My M3's were always treated well. 4 different dealers and never a scratch, ding, or dirt.
I absolutely cannot say that about my Chevy dealer. They've screwed up my paint and not really fixed stuff. I'll be moving in a year, very glad to be finding a new service department.

Back in the 90's I had good experience with a dealership in Birmingham, AL. When you bought a car there, they introduced you to your specific service manager. They had four of them. Each with a team. I was in the blue group. Any time my Blazer went in it always went to the blue group so that the same group of mechanics always worked on it. I thought that was a neat concept.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
I dropped my car off to take care of two major issues along with an oil change and rear end fluid change.

Issue #1: Supercharger Rattle: Service manager says oh yeah I hear the issue when I drop my car off. Rental is provided. I pick it up...and i'm told that the noise is normal because they have another car that makes the same noise. WHAT A JOKE. They have two ZL1s that need new superchargers and state that no problem was found. "noise inherent to both"! UNBELIEVEABLE

Issue #2: I have black wheels. I drove 300 miles over the weekend so that I hit 1500 miles this week. All are dirty. But the black wheels suffer from a major lack of powder coating. Silver in several areas. Dealer says :No visible blemish. No difference compared to same wheels on different car."

Not to mention I find a bonus when I get home and the ape they put in my car scratches my seat and plastic. Tried wiping it off when I got home and it seems like it might be permanent. Amazing.

AND to cap it off my car no longer smells like a new car with 1500 miles...it just smells like Oil!

Awesome!
Issue 1
The supercharger rattle IS normal and well documented. If you can't hear it above 1500 rpm it's fine.
Issue 2
Didn't you sell your OEM silver wheels and buy replacements? The inside of the wheels don't have a heavy black finish on them. If the visible outside spokes have blemishes didn't you notice when you bought the wheels before you put them on the car? Not really the dealers problem if you replaced the OEM wheels.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
AMMUSCLE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VERT M6
When you bring your car in ask for the chief or foreman to work on it only or someone you know.

Yes the brake pads are hard to keep up with they give off a great amount of dust. Have some Hawk Ceramic pads put on they will keep your dust down by about 80-90 %.
Just look up sponsors on here, they are worth every penny if you do not want to clean your wheels after every ride.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Well its the reason my car has never been to the dealer,it has 4500k on it and when you get inside it looks smells almost as good as the day the dealer first open the door for me.
I hate to burst a few people's bubble That dont know,but the dealers are not always the best place to take your car..smaller owned shop's or a good tuner shop can be a much better option....
I understand if you feel you have a failure or it needs service but all those things can be checked else where for a small fee,and then if you have to take it to the dealer,So be it..

I have been in the business on and off for yrs,and we had camera's in my shop so the customers could see their car during the day or even after hrs locked up..a small investment really made my life and the well being of my customers much better..
I got the idea after dropping of a Ferrari i used to own at the dealer when they gave me a key number to access their web site to watch my car being serviced. a couple of dealer i used to do business with also installed them after issues with customers cars...
Old 02-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Issue 1
The supercharger rattle IS normal and well documented. If you can't hear it above 1500 rpm it's fine.
It's 1200 rpm on the TSB. My particular ZL rattles all the way past 3000 rpm. Dealer still says that it is normal. I will bring the car to Cadillac as soon as Chevy finishes all the other warranty issues.

To OP, maybe try Cadillac dealer next time. They probably won't scratch the F^*% out of your car like chevy dealers like to do.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
People...... And I'm seriously attempting to help here. Why would anyone accept any noise as "normal"... think of it you have a set of rotors set in bearings, if something is making noise other than the natural SC sound, something is wrong. Too many dealers get-away with saying "its normal".

Net-net. Take the car back, document it, and escalate if needed. Be clear on the documentation. (Think of it this way. You go to sell that car in a year or so, a perspective buyer checks out the car and hears "the noise", and your answer is "It is normal"). What do you think will happen next.

A good dealer will fix and/or replace the item because it is covered and not at their cost, a bad dealer will say its normal to avoid it.

(PS. I always take a full set of car pics, each body panel and interior prior to any scheduled service)

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
People...... And I'm seriously attempting to help here. Why would anyone accept any noise as "normal"... think of it you have a set of rotors set in bearings, if something is making noise other than the natural SC sound, something is wrong. Too many dealers get-away with saying "its normal".

Net-net. Take the car back, document it, and escalate if needed. Be clear on the documentation. (Think of it this way. You go to sell that car in a year or so, a perspective buyer checks out the car and hears "the noise", and your answer is "It is normal"). What do you think will happen next.

A good dealer will fix and/or replace the item because it is covered and not at their cost, a bad dealer will say its normal to avoid it.

(PS. I always take a full set of car pics, each body panel and interior prior to any scheduled service)
If you do a search and go back and read several of the early threads on the rattle, they will explain what mechanically causes the rattle and why Eaton designed it that way.

A certain amount of rattle is indeed inherent to the design of the coupler due to the way it functions.

IIRC there is a TSB that instructs the dealer as to how to determine if the noise level of the rattle is still within 'normal' design range or whether it is excessive. If they determine it is excessive, they'll replace the entire SC assembly. They'll replace the whole assembly and not just the coupler because the SC assembly itself is deemed a replacement part and will be sent back to the manufacturer.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
It is my assumption that GM will NEVER admit to the rattle being a valid issue, because they do not want to replace thousands of ZL1 superchargers ( at a cost of 2500.00 a piece). The Dealers cannot service our superchargers, since they did not build them, so they must be removed and replaced. EXPENSIVE repair for a silly little spring.

If I were GM, I wouldn't admit to a problem that would cost me that much money either. It's the American Auto manufacturer's M.O. that they will not recall items unless there is an undeniable safety threat.

I've been in service at least 4 times in the last year for my rear diff's moan and groan, they still haven't replaced that thing.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
SkunkWorks

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
This one hits home as I am about to roll to 1500 miles. I actually take my other 2 cars to a local shop that is top notch. I have ZERO history with my local Chevy dealer and frankly am driving the car less because I don't want it to hit 1500, Ha! They sell a ton of ZL1's so do I reach out to the dealer and question them or just take it to the local shop?
SkunkWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post

Awesome!
Drm2Reality,

Very sorry to hear about your service experience. We are able to formally document complaints if you'd this officially filed. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us privately.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote