Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Rb737

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
Keeping plastics/dash black

Hello all,

On my previous cars I have run into the issue of my plastics on the exterior eventually dulling and acquiring a shade of white , any tips on preventing this?

Also does anyone suggest using an interior cleaner for the dash? I want to keep it in good condition but head that the cleaners eventually cause cracking.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

-Robert
Rb737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb737 View Post
Hello all,

On my previous cars I have run into the issue of my plastics on the exterior eventually dulling and acquiring a shade of white , any tips on preventing this?

Also does anyone suggest using an interior cleaner for the dash? I want to keep it in good condition but head that the cleaners eventually cause cracking.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

-Robert
While I am sure that overly aggressive (caustic or acidic) cleaners create damage over time, pretty much all interior car care products are rigiously tested by the manufacturer.

There was some problems in the 80s with some car care products supposedly drying out the vinyl, plastic, and rubber of some interiors, however its important to remember the low quality material used on these parts to begin with.

If you want to use some thing that is extremely effective at cleaning, but also extremely gentle (it can even be used on leather with no problem) then look at BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner.

BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner is a versatile, water-based cleaner for fabrics, carpet, plastic, metal, and wood. It is designed to be both gentle and effective, and it contains no harmful ingredients. BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner uses the latest technology in Swedish non-ionic surfactants to safely clean all interior surfaces. Basically any surface that can be cleaned with water can be cleaned with BLACKFIRE interior Cleaner.

BLACKFIRE Interior Protectant is the companion to this product. It features high levels of UV protection in an extremely easy-to-use protectant that has a low sheen. (Multiple layers will increase sheen if you desire a blacker/wetter shine)

The fading you are talking about is caused by chemical reactions or UV fade. BLACKFIRE Interior Products are gentle and water-based, so you have nothing to worry about chemically. The Protectant also features UV protection which will help protect against UV radiation.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Getting a dash mat never hurts either. Just take it off at shows, lol.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Rb737

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
I like that idea, what about the plastics on the exterior? Would waxing those help them keep their deep black look?
Rb737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb737 View Post
I like that idea, what about the plastics on the exterior? Would waxing those help them keep their deep black look?
You actually don't want to wax those surfaces ever. Dressing them with a quality, water based, trim dressing (Like our Super VRT) is the best way to preserve, protect, and keep them looking their best.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote