Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Simple speaker/subwoofer upgrade...

Hey guys, I know some of you are really into sound systems and all. So I want some advice on a nice upgrade. Basically, I upgraded the stock head unit and that blew out the bass on my stock BA speakers. How that happened with these speakers is beyond me. I always thought these speakers could handle much more than a simple head unit swap. But I digress, what's done is done. So I've been dealing with the horrible sound for a while and now it is time to do something about it.

So I thought about going to a sound shop but I don't want to spend crazy money for a simple upgrade. Especially if I can buy a complete kit online for cheaper and then install it myself. So I came across a few systems on Ebay featuring Kicker subs complete with wiring and an amp. I then started reading all this stuff about ohms and whatnot and now I am completely confused. For the record, my thing is engines and transmissions. Radio stuff is like speaking Swahili to me. So these complete kits look well enough. I'm not looking to enter contests or set the block ablaze. I'm not looking for a top notch professional system. If these are enough to get back the sound I lost and maybe give me a little more than the stock speakers then that is fine. But I also don't want something that will blow out on me. I'm not planning to set these things to the highest levels either (because I REALLY know audio lingo, lol). So I'm seeing these kits complete with a box for the trunk for like $250-$500. They are on Ebay. Would you guys recommend them? Are they garbage or worth the money? And do they last pretty long if not dialed up all the way (again, my stellar audio lingo)? Thanks for any info!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Here are links to the ones I am looking at. Again, I'm not looking for the best of the best or a professional job. Just something to get the sound back and maybe a little bit more than the stock sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401071817024...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311547883185...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131850126998...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are others like these but you get the picture. I'll even take some suggestions on maybe if I get the kit but upgrade to a different amp or whatever. Thanks guys!!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Go see Don, tell him to take care of your trunk and don't buy that junk. He's been in the industry 20+ years and has miles of accolades and wins installer awards every year.

You're only 2nd option is to email or call steve over at subT, buy a box, put a 12" JL in it and DIY.

UNEXPECTED CREATIONS
25 Wisteria Street
Edison, New Jersey 08817

Phone: 732-572-1969 | Cell: 732-921-9046
Fax: 732-572-5508
Email: don@unexpectedcreations.com
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I agree with Sno....

Dont use Kicker stuff. while its just OK, there are better options.

First thing you need to do is diagnose what actually happened. Is it truly the speakers that are blown or is your head unit install the real reason for the damage. the last you thing you want to do is spend a bunch of money only for this all to happen again.

After you figure out what the real problem is then you can move on to how to either fix it or upgrade.

I would seriously look at Sub Thump dot com for their fark harness and a good 4 or 5 channel amp. Good subwoofers and amps can be found for sale all the time at DIYmobileaudio.com for super cheap. Saw a JL 12" W7 (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...on-ae.html)for sale the other day for $425.00. That's less than half of retail. heres a JL amp for sale for $299.00, also a great deal. (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...xd400-4v2.html) Keep in mind that the equipment is used, but considering the folks that populate that site, you wont have to worry about getting gear. Just be patient. Awesome deals are ALWAYS coming up.

Let me know if you need any other info or advice. Im more than happy to help.
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Imdyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
No offense to Snoman's suggestion, but JL is overpriced and overrated. It is true that audio equipment are like tattoos "you get what you pay for," however, every market has its black sheep.

Do some more research, It took me 4months of research, tutorials, reviews before pulled the trigger on a setup.

Quick Pros and Cons Per Manufacturer

Mainstream Manufacturers:

Kicker - Pros: Decent speakers, Cheap, easy to tune. Cons: Easily blown, sound quality is average, amps produce dirty signal easily

Alpine - Pros: Well Made, Decent Price, Handle a lot of Power. Cons: Better for DB than SQ, Dont go lower than the Type R in model range

Fosgate - Pros: Great Amps, Clean signals, Easy Power. Cons: Subs are mediocre, High Price

JL - Pros: Great designs, Handle power well. Cons: High Price, Cheap Materials, Easily over powered

Polk - Not worth a dollar

JBL - Company Quality is terrible

Kenwood - LOL

Dual: Double LOL

Audio Focused Companies:

DC - Pros: Made in America, Great Parts, Huge Xmax, Decent Price. Cons: Need larger Amp to handle subs, for DB more than SQ

Sundown Audio - Pros: Great Parts, Made in America, Decent Priced, Can do either SQ of DB. Cons: Need a lot of airspace for ported, Larger amps needed.

RE Audio - Pros: Great Pricing, Components have great SQ, Model range is all quality. Cons: Some of their speakers still use foam surrounds that don't last long

SMD - Pros: Huge Power, Great Quality Cons: Bunch of Fanboys lol. Expensive

These are only some of the companies. There are a ton more which is why you need to do some serious research
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the great info. After thinking it thru I decided to go over to a local audio shop to have a chat with their tech guys. Basically, the 2 speakers in the back are blown. Probably as a result of the head unit. The cone is separated from the coil...or something, lol. The guy showed me. So that is what the horrible sound I'm getting is. So I am a DIYer but after looking over the process for installing speakers I figured I'd just buy them from the guys at the shop and have them install it. He showed me a set of Kenwood speakers that should hold up just fine. On top of that he showed me an Alpine R and S sub with a good amp that should work well. That should be all I need. So I'm just trying to figure out if I want the R or the S.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
cabbe

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
If you are just looking for a basic upgrade, then there is really no need for 2 subs.
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
arkentect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Thanks for all the great info. After thinking it thru I decided to go over to a local audio shop to have a chat with their tech guys. Basically, the 2 speakers in the back are blown. Probably as a result of the head unit. The cone is separated from the coil...or something, lol. The guy showed me. So that is what the horrible sound I'm getting is. So I am a DIYer but after looking over the process for installing speakers I figured I'd just buy them from the guys at the shop and have them install it. He showed me a set of Kenwood speakers that should hold up just fine. On top of that he showed me an Alpine R and S sub with a good amp that should work well. That should be all I need. So I'm just trying to figure out if I want the R or the S.
Did you not read my post? I'll reference the Kenwood section

Kenwood - LOL
Old 11-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
No offense to Snoman's suggestion...
None taken, was just tossing a name out there. Cheapest product I'd ever endorse are the RF-P2s.

Though from your trash list I can easily tell you don't like SQ (sealed) or have had bad experiences with them and more of a DB (ported) person.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
...He showed me a set of Kenwood speakers that should hold up just fine. On top of that he showed me an Alpine R and S sub with a good amp that should work well. That should be all I need. So I'm just trying to figure out if I want the R or the S.
Kenwood has some decent 6x9s that should work as great OEM replacments, but they aren't worth any more than $60-$75 though installation should run about $100-130 tops. Make sure you're not paying more than $200 installed, including the installation kit and parts as they require a special adapter if you're not buying a 4 channel.

I'm not a fan of the R's though I'd never touch the S. In this price range I'd be picking up some RF-P2s, but your shop might be offering a winter sale or could be pushing their own brands and not give 2c.

Ultimately, you need to decide what sounds best to your ear. If you like the choices you've made within your budget and have heard them in person then enjoy your system and tell everyone else to fly a kite.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
arkentect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
None taken, was just tossing a name out there. Cheapest product I'd ever endorse are the RF-P2s.

Though from your trash list I can easily tell you don't like SQ (sealed) or have had bad experiences with them and more of a DB (ported) person.
lol I didn't really make a list of suggestions for him. I just named some of the big brands because I doubt he's going to buy any audiophile level equipment.

Funny you should mention the ported v. sealed thing because I'm in the midst of swapping to a sealed setup for SQ. Getting tired of the boom lol
Old 11-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
lol I didn't really make a list of suggestions for him. I just named some of the big brands because I doubt he's going to buy any audiophile level equipment.

Funny you should mention the ported v. sealed thing because I'm in the midst of swapping to a sealed setup for SQ. Getting tired of the boom lol
I'm guessing you have some brand ideas already. Polk has some of the best SQ subs in existence for the money, though if price is no object I'll give nods to the Morel Ultimo and the Ultimo Titanium (not available in the US). There is far more that goes into designing a SQ sub than a dB one as I am sure you are more than aware. For over 40 years, the center focus of Polk and Morel has been SQ. Unless you're going for competition though, honestly no matter who you go with will be good enough if it makes you smile.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
arkentect

My friend had some bad experiences with his POLK setup so I never really gave them another thought.

Right now I'm looking into getting some Focal ES 165K components. Only problem I've heard about them is that they need some decent tuning to really dial in the tweeters which can be harsh if not done right.

I would love a set of the RS Audio Masters though. Its almost sad they they would be hidden in the doors, damn pretty speakers haha
Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Did you not read my post? I'll reference the Kenwood section

Kenwood - LOL
LOL, oops. In my defense, I went to the shop and the guy was using all these words and I just said "sure, I'll take 2"...not really, haha. But for what I want I guess they're pretty good. As long as at their worst they're as good as the stock speakers then I am ok with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Kenwood has some decent 6x9s that should work as great OEM replacments, but they aren't worth any more than $60-$75 though installation should run about $100-130 tops. Make sure you're not paying more than $200 installed, including the installation kit and parts as they require a special adapter if you're not buying a 4 channel.

I'm not a fan of the R's though I'd never touch the S. In this price range I'd be picking up some RF-P2s, but your shop might be offering a winter sale or could be pushing their own brands and not give 2c.

Ultimately, you need to decide what sounds best to your ear. If you like the choices you've made within your budget and have heard them in person then enjoy your system and tell everyone else to fly a kite.
They came out to $203 and some change installed. What specifically do you dislike about the Alpines?