Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
HP Tuners VVE tables

Been a while since I messed with hp tuners. In order to tune the VE coefficients, you used to have to use a 3rd party tool to create a table, then modify the table, then export the table values back into coefficient form. I've heard that new versions of hp tuners can handle all of this so that 3rd party tools are no longer required? Is this true? If so, does it require a custom OS and/or credits to use this feature? Sorry if this was already asked, for some reason the search feature is not working on my phone and google searches didnt return exactly the answers I'm looking for.
Thanks!
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Yes, that's true.
No custom OS, no extra creds, etc.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
EJSS

Awesome, thanks!
Old 10-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by granatl View Post
Yes, that's true.
No custom OS, no extra creds, etc.
Sort of. You can apply the Speed Density Air Mode patch and have VE tables easy to edit versus using the VVE (virtual) tuning method. I think it's much easier that way. You'd have to do a Full Write to apply that updated OS to the vehicle to take full effect.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
EJSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Sort of. You can apply the Speed Density Air Mode patch and have VE tables easy to edit versus using the VVE (virtual) tuning method. I think it's much easier that way. You'd have to do a Full Write to apply that updated OS to the vehicle to take full effect.
Hmm. I'm not familiar with what the virtual is, I'll have to do a little research to catch up I guess. Is that what granatl is talking about in the reply above?

Btw, your car looks sick man. Twin turbo 427? Jeez dude you might as well go all the way and put rocket thrusters on it.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Some engineer realized that using some values and a formula describe most VE layouts. So the VVE runs a best fit algorithm against the (temp) VE table that you're editing, calculating the "few" values it needs.

Contrary to Dreksnot, I prefer VVE. Basically, you put the car in MAF-only mode and then log the GMVE (I think that's it). Copy the output back to the VVE table, extrapolate, interpolate, smooth, etc and you're assured to have numbers in line with the MAF values. Depending on the range, the ECM likes to do a checks-and-balances between VVE & MAF. Stock favors VVE for low RPM, quick transitions and MAF for high RPM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Dreksnot is talking about an actual change to run a regular VE table, rather than the VVE. Granatl is suggesting using what HPT has built in - the ability to edit the co-efficients using the built in VVE tool. It's very easy to use the built in VVE editing tool IMO.

I definitely find the engine responds better with dynamic (both MAF and SD) air dialed in. For sure those low RPM transients are better handled, a blip from idle with a big cam motor like mine definitely works better with dynamic enabled and setup.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
EJSS

Ok I get it now, makes sense why they call it "virtual" VE tables since they are only a tool that is used to create the coefficients. Thank you guys for explaining. I will most likely go this route for starters.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Since Version 3.0 was released, tuning the VVE tables are a lot easier. Just remember to adjust both the open AND closed loop tables.