Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Thumbs up Header Panel Replacement

Finally had some time today to replace this annoying piece of plastic. I looked on the forum here and there was no detailed instructions....

Every bump it drove me nuts. So much I had some foam wedged in there to stop it

Here is a link to the part:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...tible-top-scat

1. Raise the top so it is about 16 inches from being closed.
  2. Remove the torx head screws along the edge.(7) This is a support plate for the actual fabric so it stays in place. Set these aside in a bin keep them separate from the others as they are different from the other screws.
  3. Remove the 2 black torx head on each side so you can peel back the fabric on the top. These 2 torx head have a plastic fabric adjuster attached to the fabric material. (do not remove the silver screw with the spring attached) To get at these better you can lower the top completely to get a good contact on the screws.
  4. You should be able to remove the fabric from the frame, be careful and start at each corner pull and remove it until it is free from the corner-each side.
  5. You can now peel back the top there is no glue here so remove it. Close the top completely. You will see the 4 torx head screws recessed in the top frame. Remove all 4 and put aside separate.
  6. Remove the trim garnish around the handle by pushing up. I thought this was going to break for sure, but it did not. Put aside. You should see another torx head screw under this trim. Remove and put aside separate (this is different from the rest of all the torx head screws, it is a tad shorter.
  7. You should now be able to remove the damaged header trim.
  8. I ended up laying down some black RTV on the ends of each screw hole on the new trim and placed washers on top. I doubt this will help from future breaks but will see. Make sure you use the same screws you removed back in the same place!
  9. Once this has dried I reversed the procedure, it took about 90 minutes but I took my time! I had a couple beers.
Sorry no pictures just did not think of it at the time, this is a pretty straight forward repair.

Last edited by 68rssscamaro; 08-08-2016 at 07:04 AM.
68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Thanks 68RSSSCamaro,
This will undoubtedly be useful in the future.
-s
Old 08-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
subscribed....
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
d00mz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
subscribed

2020 ZL1 Convertible in Shock

-Bone stock (for now)

2017 ZL1 Convertible in Hyper Metallic Blue (sold)
-stock

2014 ZL1 Convertible in Red Hot (sold)
-Roto Fab Cold Air Intake with larger HX Rez
-2.5inch upper pulley, solid isolator
-Ported Blower Snout
-ARH 2 inch headers and longflow off-road pipes
-1000cc fuel injectors
-NGK TR71X plugs
-Catch Can
-Dyno tuned to 600RWHP
-All work done by Advanced Modern Performance
d00mz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
ucspider

Drives: Camaro 2015 convertible
Followed the steps above and took pictures. I will submit later.
ucspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
mwright706

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I am having a horrible rattling sound every time I hit a bump...is this what my issue could be??? I thought it was the rear view mirror for the longest but it’s not that
mwright706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
ShonO11

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I ordered this part and will be attempting to replace this weekend. Thanks for the instructions. I also this video.

I think between the instructions here and the video I'm pretty well covered.
ShonO11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Finally had some time today to replace this annoying piece of plastic. I looked on the forum here and there was no detailed instructions....

Every bump it drove me nuts. So much I had some foam wedged in there to stop it

Here is a link to the part:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...tible-top-scat

1. Raise the top so it is about 16 inches from being closed.
  2. Remove the torx head screws along the edge.(7) This is a support plate for the actual fabric so it stays in place. Set these aside in a bin keep them separate from the others as they are different from the other screws.
  3. Remove the 2 black torx head on each side so you can peel back the fabric on the top. These 2 torx head have a plastic fabric adjuster attached to the fabric material. (do not remove the silver screw with the spring attached) To get at these better you can lower the top completely to get a good contact on the screws.
  4. You should be able to remove the fabric from the frame, be careful and start at each corner pull and remove it until it is free from the corner-each side.
  5. You can now peel back the top there is no glue here so remove it. Close the top completely. You will see the 4 torx head screws recessed in the top frame. Remove all 4 and put aside separate.
  6. Remove the trim garnish around the handle by pushing up. I thought this was going to break for sure, but it did not. Put aside. You should see another torx head screw under this trim. Remove and put aside separate (this is different from the rest of all the torx head screws, it is a tad shorter.
  7. You should now be able to remove the damaged header trim.
  8. I ended up laying down some black RTV on the ends of each screw hole on the new trim and placed washers on top. I doubt this will help from future breaks but will see. Make sure you use the same screws you removed back in the same place!
  9. Once this has dried I reversed the procedure, it took about 90 minutes but I took my time! I had a couple beers.
Sorry no pictures just did not think of it at the time, this is a pretty straight forward repair.
I made this repair last spring, it didn't take too long and wasn't very difficult. Mines a DD and the panel is still rock solid!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
ShonO11

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Replaced the trim piece this weekend. Not hard at all. No more rattle! At least until it breaks again.... Mine is 2013 and it took about 6 years to start to rattle. Hopefully this one will last longer. Or the next owner can worry about it. But for now it's super quiet. I was so used to the rattling I forgot what it was like to not hear it.
ShonO11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #10
ChrisLydia

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Thanks 68rssscamaro for posting these instructions back in 2016. I have the same rattle issue on my 2014 RS and its no doubt the header front molding, and I will be taking a crack to repair it this spring. I'll try to remember to take some photos and post them.
ChrisLydia is offline   Reply With Quote