Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
jsherm007
Always drop the top

Drives: 2014 Stingray Vert 2LT z51
That vinyl in the trunk, that's tied up is to block off the top area, right? Is only way to undo it is by cutting them? They don't have a snap or anything???
jsherm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm007 View Post
That vinyl in the trunk, that's tied up is to block off the top area, right? Is only way to undo it is by cutting them? They don't have a snap or anything???
If you are talking about what I think you are talking about DO NOT TOUCH THAT!
That is part of the water management system. It collects water when it rains and funnels it out under your car.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
[QUOTE=MLL67RSSS;4417411]I believe the issue is with the glass window, NOT the top. If you lower the top with something too tall in the trunk it can break/shatter the glass rear window. Don't know on the new Camaro, but in some cars if you break the convertible glass rear window it requires the entire top to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Knew someone (not in a Camaro) who put their top down while out and forgot they had stuff in the trunk. Powered the top down, almost down, motor strains/slows, POP!!!!!! Followed by the sound of the bits of shattered glass flying around in the trunk. ]

+1 Bingo. I don't trust myself.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I have actually put my top down with something too big ion my trunk a few times now. With the way our tops fold it is next to impossible to break the rear glass like this.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
AuburnGrad93

Drives: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4
I know this is an old thread now, but thanks for the information! I was able to remove the "Nanny Net" without any problems! Thanks!!!

My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224339
AuburnGrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #34
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I don't mind the net nanny.

However, I was caught in a freak sunny day rain shower, I pulled over to put the top up and totally forgot about the tounel cover!! It heard the POP of the tounel cover popping loose. Man I so wish he vert was like the C6/7 vet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
I don't mind the net nanny.

However, I was caught in a freak sunny day rain shower, I pulled over to put the top up and totally forgot about the tounel cover!! It heard the POP of the tounel cover popping loose. Man I so wish he vert was like the C6/7 vet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Don't remember where it was at ( I think it was on an interview for the Stingray) but it's been said that 6th Gen will have the roof system like the Stingray - roof goes OUTSIDE the car so no need for drainage bag. And the back deck will serve as the cover when it's retracted.

I noticed that you can get the Stingray with an option to remove the roof for about 5k. There are clips inside the trunk to hold the roof when it's off. Would you rather have a removable hardtop like this or the regular vert?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #36
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Retractable folding hardtop would be nice.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
sledgehammer

Drives: 2014 Convertible LS3
So the other day I wanted to put the top down. I pulled over and popped the latch hit the button and nothing happens. I get the notice on the dash about the safety net, so I open my door hit the trunk button and walk around back. Trunk still closed because I did not relatch the roof. Duh! Latch the roof pop trunk walk back and open the trunk and holy crap the trunk is full of stuff that I totally forgot about... I think I'll leave my safety net hooked up.
sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #38
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
So the other day I wanted to put the top down. I pulled over and popped the latch hit the button and nothing happens. I get the notice on the dash about the safety net, so I open my door hit the trunk button and walk around back. Trunk still closed because I did not relatch the roof. Duh! Latch the roof pop trunk walk back and open the trunk and holy crap the trunk is full of stuff that I totally forgot about... I think I'll leave my safety net hooked up.
Cool! This is why I left mine connected.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #39
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Mine is a daily driver, and I leave the net out all the time just in case I decide to put the top down whenever I feel like it. The net itself doesn't bother me too much. It is the fact that the damn thing snaps shut anytime you hit a pothole, turn a corner, etc. It scares the hell out of me for a fraction of a second, and then I have to pull over and pull the damn thing out again.

I thought unplugging it might not be a bad idea at first, but then it is always possible I might forget that I put something in the trunk.

I notice the plastic rod is now bowed and the thing snaps closed more than before. Has anybody tried replacing with a metal rod, or done something so that it is not constantly snapping shut?
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #40
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Sounds like you might have a broken rod. I drive my car through the streets of Detroit - which are pot hole and rising expansion joint ridden - and I have never had it pop off on a bump.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #41
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
It is not broken. It is in one piece. It has done it since new. Although now the plastic rod is a little bowed from having things in the trunk bang up against it when driving. So now it does it even more frequently with the bowed rod. That is why I was wondering if anyone had tried to replace it with a metal rod instead of the cheap plastic one it came with. Because I'm sure that even if they replaced the plastic rod under warranty, it would do the same thing eventually.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #42
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I believe the issue is with the glass window, NOT the top. If you lower the top with something too tall in the trunk it can break/shatter the glass rear window. Don't know on the new Camaro, but in some cars if you break the convertible glass rear window it requires the entire top to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Knew someone (not in a Camaro) who put their top down while out and forgot they had stuff in the trunk. Powered the top down, almost down, motor strains/slows, POP!!!!!! Followed by the sound of the bits of shattered glass flying around in the trunk.
+1 Bingo. I don't trust myself.
Add me to that list, as well! Life experience has taught me "sh*t happens." I just don't want it happening to me (anymore) if I can avoid it.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote