Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
EastBayBossMan

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Is this paint chip gonna be hard to fix?

I noticed this big huge spot of missing paint on my front bumper a few days after I got my car. I don't know if it was there when I bought it or happened after, but it's really starting to bother me. Anytime I think of my car, the first thing I think of is this annoying black spot.

I put a clear-bra on a week after I got my car because I don't have a beater, and yes, covered the chip as you can see, intending to repair the spot at a later date.

Any help would be appreciated on the route I should take for fixing it, and also how can I forget about this stupid spot? My car is beautiful and I should be more happy, but that little black dot gives me nightmares.
Attached Images

EastBayBossMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I've never seen a paint chip in the shape of a perfect circle before! If it looks like the paint has flaked off, (which the shape of the mark leads me to believe) you may try visiting the dealer and showing them. They may fix it for you, or at least offer a solution, ie; paying for some of the cost of the repair. That appearance of a perfect circle leads me to believe its a paint issue, not a rock chip.

Either way, it shouldn't be too costly to repair if you choose that route.

And just some advice; although I feel exactly as you do, re; marks driving you crazy, I've learned to not get so worked up over them...they're a fact of life and just about unavoidable.

Good luck
Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Moose

Are you sure thats not something on the paint??? Taking another looks, it almost looks like something ON the paint surface. If thats the case, that can be corrected fairly easily.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
EastBayBossMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I've never seen a paint chip in the shape of a perfect circle before! If it looks like the paint has flaked off, (which the shape of the mark leads me to believe) you may try visiting the dealer and showing them. They may fix it for you, or at least offer a solution, ie; paying for some of the cost of the repair. That appearance of a perfect circle leads me to believe its a paint issue, not a rock chip.

Either way, it shouldn't be too costly to repair if you choose that route.

And just some advice; although I feel exactly as you do, re; marks driving you crazy, I've learned to not get so worked up over them...they're a fact of life and just about unavoidable.

Good luck
Ed
Thanks! Yea a flake off seems more likely than a chip now that you say that. I couldn't figure out the lingo.

Yea, it is nearly a perfect circle, which may or may not be a good thing.

I'm taking my car in next week to get the squeaky seat fixed as well as the radio face polished, so I'll ask them about the spot on the bumper.

And my new car fever is still pretty bad. Had the car for a bit over 1 month and I'm still freaky about it.

Quote:
Are you sure thats not something on the paint??? Taking another looks, it almost looks like something ON the paint surface. If thats the case, that can be corrected fairly easily.
When I was claying the car before my Zaino applications, I rubbed the hell out of that spot and nothing came off. I couldn't really feel it but I had my dad check it out and he thinks there's a little indentation, so missing paint.

Let's say it is something stuck on the paint, what would you do to try getting it off?

Unfortunately the clear bra is on now, so I don't know if I could cut out a little section while checking and repairing or not. I'll send an email to my 3M installer about it.

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Moose

A Zaino user too huh? Me too!

OK, back to your paint issue, if it is something on the surface, try claying it first. If it's a mark, some 'Stoners Tarminator' may work too.

If it in fact needs to be repaired, while the dealer can do it, a reputable body shop may cost you less. Seeing how new your car is, I think if you're honest with the dealer, and explain to them that you recently noticed it, (and, seeing as it looks like some kind of paint issue versus a chip) I think they'd be willing to work with you to repair it.

Let me know how it goes.

Ed
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
EastBayBossMan

Quote:
A Zaino user too huh? Me too!

OK, back to your paint issue, if it is something on the surface, try claying it first. If it's a mark, some 'Stoners Tarminator' may work too.

If it in fact needs to be repaired, while the dealer can do it, a reputable body shop may cost you less. Seeing how new your car is, I think if you're honest with the dealer, and explain to them that you recently noticed it, (and, seeing as it looks like some kind of paint issue versus a chip) I think they'd be willing to work with you to repair it.

Let me know how it goes.

Ed
Oh yea, big Zaino fan for many years. I've read a ton of threads in this section and saw you advocating Zaino and it made me like you before I ever spoke to you.

First step will be to contact my 3M installer and see if he's got any advice on getting to that spot and if he'll give me any sort of deal on a re-installation of the front fascia.

Then I'll re-clay and use the Stoner's Tarminator if necessary. If that does not work, I will talk to the dealer and see what they say. I'm scared to even ask the dealer, but the sale's man knows I'm anal about the car and since I have a clear-bra on and will be re-installing, it's not like I'm going to be coming back all the time for paint chips/flakes....most likely at least.

I'll see if anyone else has some input, and will definitely update when I can.

Thanks Moose.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Well, 1st you'll have to take the bra off. I'm surprised the installer applied it with that spot on there. Look narsty.

In the 1st close up image, there appears to be an air bubble on the edge of the spot. Could this be a small piece of plastic debris?

I'd take it back to the bra installer and have them take a good look with a magnifying glass.

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
EastBayBossMan

*Update*

Well I cut a piece of the clear bra off and tried rubbing some lacquer thinner on it. After a few dozen rubs, it started coming off. Another few rubs and it all came off!

So now have a semi-circle missing piece which is fine because that area doesn't really get hit head-on by road debris.

Going to make an appointment tomorrow to get the front fascia redone.