Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Kinda hard to see, but those are "long tube" headers made to drive a turbo. You can just see them peeking out under the "bigger" exhaust pipe.

If you were talking about maintaining purchased long tube headers then listen to Revolution - they will not like the added heat and pressure if you were to use low mount turbos.

Just my <.02
Speedster, I've got the same dilemma as OP. A new stroker with long tubes, but I'm dead set on the TT route. Could you PM some info on your setup? Yours is the only high mount TT I've seen, and it looks bad ass! Also, what if you heat wrap your headers and mount custom hangers for the turbos? Would that help with the heat and pressure at all?
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
Burns Double slip fit collectors help with cracking on turbo headers. Not for the faint hearted. I have a couple grand in just parts on these headers.
Attached Images

mods: ******** setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
Speedster, I've got the same dilemma as OP. A new stroker with long tubes, but I'm dead set on the TT route. Could you PM some info on your setup? Yours is the only high mount TT I've seen, and it looks bad ass! Also, what if you heat wrap your headers and mount custom hangers for the turbos? Would that help with the heat and pressure at all?
PM Sent
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
GRYGUSS
Winner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Kinda hard to see, but those are "long tube" headers made to drive a turbo. You can just see them peeking out under the "bigger" exhaust pipe.

If you were talking about maintaining purchased long tube headers then listen to Revolution - they will not like the added heat and pressure if you were to use low mount turbos.

Just my <.02
Thats a thing of beauty under your hood! Well Done!

Thanks for everyones imput and help. I think Ill continue down the same road and get the SC. But Ill keep this set up in mind for the next time...
GRYGUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:

Just my <.02
Oh. My. Gawd. That is the best engine pay pic of a 5th gen Camaro by far.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
What about using long tubes with a top mount Single setup like turbonetics has?

The kit hooks up to the stock Cats which would be in the same location of the collectors/hiflo cats or off road extensions.

What would be the Pros/Cons of using a long tube header in this application?

Thanks!
Brad
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #21
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Most LT headers are not made nor engineered to carry the weight of a turbo hanging away from the flanges and all the movement passed onto it. In SST's application I believe they are using welded cast-stainless plus the distance to the turbos is not large. LPE does the same thing with their undermount turbos on the Vettes. Cast stainless is super strong and thick-wall tubes, not thin stainless tubes like on LT headers. My 2 cents.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #22
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS
Turbo kit

Like a few of you I also have been tossing around the idea of turbo charging my '11 SS. IMO if I'm going to void my warranty on a $40k car when I open the hood I want it as eye popping as possible. So a set of S.S. Tubular headers with a top mounted turbo is what I'm planning.

Just some ideas if you guys would like to give your input feel free it would be appreciated.

1. Is 304 SS material good enough to use for strength? Or would it be better to goo to a 321 SS?
2. Would using a smaller primary be better for spool and velocity? Such as 1.50" or 1.625". Or a stepped design?
At what size wise would I be sacrificing power?
3. What kind of flex joints are stronger and withstand heat abuse better? Braided SS looking joints or the SS ribbed bellows? "sp?"

Thanks.

Last edited by 2011WhiteSS; 08-10-2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Subscribing
2011WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011WhiteSS View Post
Like a few of you I also have been tossing around the idea of turbo charging my '11 SS. IMO if I'm going to void my warranty on a $40k car when I open the hood I want it as eye popping as possible. So a set of S.S. Tubular headers with a top mounted turbo is what I'm planning.

Just some ideas if you guys would like to give your input feel free it would be appreciated.

1. Is 304 SS material good enough to use for strength?To be perfectly honest no. It's fine for short term heat and not extensive temps like say an exhaust post turbo but before the turbo no I would never use 304ss. It's a nickel chromium stainless it doesn't offer the stability of 321. 321 is a titanium based alloy, If you want to get serious Fab it in 321H it's high carbon and has zero issues staying strong above 1000 degrees and it welds like a dream. Or would it be better to goo to a 321 SS?
2. Would using a smaller primary be better for spool and velocity? Such as 1.50" or 1.625". Or a stepped design? Depends 110% on your turbo choice and end goals a good rule of thumb is when sizing a system prior to the compressor is not to exceed port size too greatly but take into account the amount of volume that it will need to support. If you are staying the stock cubes I would use a 1.75" primary and a 2.5" cross over if you are going to use a single turbo
At what size wise would I be sacrificing power?Again depends on the turbo selection
3. What kind of flex joints are stronger and withstand heat abuse better? Braided SS looking joints or the SS ribbed bellows? "sp?" Braided offer more flex with the expansion if you are using it on a street car I would recommend the braided ss over the ribbed bellows

Thanks.
Hope that helps!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #24
2011WhiteSS

Drives: 2011 White 2SS
turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Hope that helps!
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the 321H and price the material for the headers and stay with 304 for the exhaust from the turbine to the exhaust sys.

The v-bands and flex joints that i've found are all 304 anyone have a source to buy 321H fab items or can i use the 304 for the non tubing items?

Thanks
2011WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #25
kpwalls06
Cory

I'd like to find a place to buy 321 as well. How about 316 stainless, would that work for this application? Anyone? I'm looking at fanning my own set of "shorty" header-style manifolds to run my turbos. You can always fab a bracket to hang your turbos and relieve stress on the system. That's where I'm leaning right now.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
what about the sts turbo system since its a rear mount turbo?
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #27
kpwalls06
Cory

I'm not a huge fan of rear mount. I'm sure it's a good and proven system, but it's not what I'm looking for.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #28
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Well, the turbo and maggie are two completely different types of power.

If you want to go the turbo route, but want to keep your headers, maybe look into a centrifugal supercharger. Similar power bands as turbo's.
Turbo's are making way more torque than centrifugals.