Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #85
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Reaper View Post
I want to hear the supercharger whine.
Simple Solution.....CAI Intake!!!

Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #86
ZLeeper

Drives: .
This system absolutely rocks!! No codes and you can feel the difference. The install went very smoothly and the near chrome finish matches the strut tower brace. I did not have to struggle with the box at all. It did help to reroute the radiator return tube underneath the air tube, but making sure to pull it all the way forward, so the engine belt does not make contact. And my harness had enough length to run the plug for the MAF sensor from the back side. Totally pleased!!
Thanks MCLARK10 for your post and pic, it definitely helped.
Great job CAI!!!
Attached Images

ZLeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #87
DFA

Drives: 2014 ZL1, Triple Black, M6
Got mine installed and going to take it for a test drive, but wanted to post the pictures. Hardest part was trying to find the deep socket I dropped.
Attached Images

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #88
Smuuth

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1
I installed mine today.
Attached Images

Smuuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #89
DFA

Drives: 2014 ZL1, Triple Black, M6
Took it out tonight on a long drive to Loveland and the whine of the SC was great; wife thinks I am nuts and maybe she is right, but love the sound of the SC. Also broke 500 miles on break in.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #90
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I don't know about y'all, but I'd say the CAI is the fat chick.

Spent an hour installing mine today and she DID NOT want to go in easy.

Wiring harness next to radiator shroud that could not be moved, made getting the lid on darn near impossible. It kept pushing the housing in so the lid wouldn't fit(just read a previous post about relocating it). Tried this, but didn't work on my ZL1. Mine must have gotten shorted in the wiring department.

Getting the filter mated up to the velocity stack was a b***h.

Then after installation and a short drive, I had to push the housing and lid back down under the lip.

There should have been a male end for the rubber gromit, at the bottom of the housing, to hold the front of the housing down and in place.

I think some minor "tweeks" in the design are in order. Like cutting a slot so the wiring by the radiator isn't an issue.

Drawbacks aside, I do like the immediate throttle response now.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #91
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
I have really tried to talk myself into this intake, but with the fitment issues, putting the MAF on top of the tube, which is fugly looking and puts constant stress on the wiring and the change of the nice looking tube, arrgh.

I really like the enclosed filter design and love the near chrome finish but it looks like its on to ADM for now. Maybe CAI will come up with a revised edition soon.

Last edited by zfuzz; 10-28-2013 at 07:25 AM.
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #92
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySportRand View Post

Wiring harness next to radiator shroud that could not be moved, made getting the lid on darn near impossible. It kept pushing the housing in so the lid wouldn't fit(just read a previous post about relocating it). Tried this, but didn't work on my ZL1. Mine must have gotten shorted in the wiring department.

Then after installation and a short drive, I had to push the housing and lid back down under the lip.

There should have been a male end for the rubber gromit, at the bottom of the housing, to hold the front of the housing down and in place.

I think some minor "tweeks" in the design are in order. Like cutting a slot so the wiring by the radiator isn't an issue.

All of that happened to me but I got it all working perfectly now. I will say longest its ever taken me to put a intake on, but It looks all nice now

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #93
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Again... FREE overnight shipping as a thank you for our patience, understanding, and loyalty to CAI...

IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!
gee there goes all their profit ,lol
Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #94
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
All of that happened to me but I got it all working perfectly now. I will say longest its ever taken me to put a intake on, but It looks all nice now
+1
700 miles and 550 more to get back home. Everything perfect. Also gone is the backfire from pulling the exhaust fuse.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #95
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLeeper View Post
This system absolutely rocks!! No codes and you can feel the difference. The install went very smoothly and the near chrome finish matches the strut tower brace. I did not have to struggle with the box at all. It did help to reroute the radiator return tube underneath the air tube, but making sure to pull it all the way forward, so the engine belt does not make contact. And my harness had enough length to run the plug for the MAF sensor from the back side. Totally pleased!!
Thanks MCLARK10 for your post and pic, it definitely helped.
Great job CAI!!!
Thanks!! Glad to hear how happy you are with our system and that the install went good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Got mine installed and going to take it for a test drive, but wanted to post the pictures. Hardest part was trying to find the deep socket I dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Took it out tonight on a long drive to Loveland and the whine of the SC was great; wife thinks I am nuts and maybe she is right, but love the sound of the SC. Also broke 500 miles on break in.
Awesome man! It seems like the audible difference in the Supercharger whine is one of the favorite benefits of the system by a few of you! Thanks so much for the feedback, sounds like your install went real smooth and that you are happy with the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuuth View Post
I installed mine today.
Great, thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!

See my responses in red below:

Quote:

Please give us a call or email me directly at bhylton@coldairinductions.com I would be happy to give you phone/email support to get your system installed properly, and I think if you can email me some pictures that I can look at it would be very helpful. I can tell you that this system is a little more involved than any of our other systems simply due to the design we had to work with. That being said though, there were adjustments to our lid and box that were made which makes fitment and alignment much simpler. Like I said please call/email us and email me pics, after reading all your comments I am fairly confident that you have not installed it properly which is why you are having "fitment" issues.

If your wiring harness is shorter than what it should be, and routed incorrectly, that has nothing to do with our CAI, we can't design around possible errors from the factory that we do not even know about. There should be a way to route your harness in a way that it is not in the way of the CAI lid and that you can still have the MAF orientated properly.

This should be one of the simplest parts, did you have the clamp completely loose? Maybe the MAF housing was on an angle and not pointed straight into to air box? There is only one way the filter goes on and there is nothing that stops it from pushing it on until it hits the smooth bore tube stop.

That is because it was never installed 100% correct from the beginning. It sounds like you were never able to get your lid positioned correctly which means it was probably to high and lifting the box.

As you know from your wiring harness, every car can be a little different from the factory. 2 mounting points for the air box would mean that if there were any slight change from one car to another the box would not line up and fit perfectly without having to manipulate the airbox, which would mean it would be impossible to line up the lid on each system. There is no need for a front mounting point, your system is obviously not installed properly, and a front mounting point in this scenario would have only made things worse as you would have no flexibility in installing it and maneuvering it for proper fitment.

I just looked and measured and there is approximately 1" of open space from the front lip of the airbox to the front of the engine bay. This gives you more than enough clearance to route your harness, you just need to route it within that space instead of above it (where I am guessing it currently travels).

Glad to hear that you can tell a difference in performance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
I have really tried to talk myself into this intake, but with the fitment issues, putting the MAF on top of the tube, which is fugly looking and puts constant stress on the wiring and the change of the nice looking tube, arrgh.

I really like the enclosed filter design and love the near chrome finish but it looks like its on to ADM for now. Maybe CAI will come up with a revised edition soon.
There is no need for a revised edition, any issues above were from tolerance differences that came from the manufacturer of the vehicle or not installing the CAI properly. When Mark had this issue he called us, we gave him phone support on how to correctly fix it, and he made 10 minutes worth of adjustments and got his CAI installed and fitting perfectly. If you look at where the MAF would be pointed back, it would be dangerously close to moving components on your engine, it was designed that way for that reason as well as for optimal MAF readings.

So far out of about 12 known installations only 2 had any issues. One was Mark who called us and got it resolved, and simply had some wiring routed different that it should have been. The other customer who posted above needs to contact us so we can help him get his system installed correctly, because there are obviously some things being done wrong and/or that came different from the factory such as a shorter wiring harness. The system fits very well, but you can do things wrong during installation which will make it much more difficult, this is why we offer technical support and assistance..

Quote:
Glad to hear that it is properly installed and looking nice!! Like mentioned above, the system does have installation that is a little more "involved" than our other systems, but as long as you follow the instructions and contact us if you have things on your ZL1 that are different, the CAI should go on good and fit perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
+1
700 miles and 550 more to get back home. Everything perfect. Also gone is the backfire from pulling the exhaust fuse.
Glad to hear Mark!!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #96
MPR

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc
Also I noticed your MAF housing has the sensor pointing back, correct orientation should have it pointing up as instructed in Step 8 of the instructions. This will allow for better fitment, and more importantly is how we tested the system. Rotating the housing so that the MAF is pointed any direction other than up can effect airflow which can effect MAF readings, thanks! You may also want to try and push your filter on a bit more, it should pretty much go right up against the weld for the MAF sensor.
Quote:
I have turned it, but it's not at perfect 12 o clock very very close. It may just be the picture, but that filter can't go any further lol. I have driven it and all I have to say is I love that whine so much. Can't keep my foot out of it haha
Quote:
Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc
If you look at where the MAF would be pointed back, it would be dangerously close to moving components on your engine, it was designed that way for that reason as well as for optimal MAF readings

Was there any testing done with the MAF positioning other than the 12 o'clock (straight up) position? What are your data results for a/f ratio? How does it compare to the factory position at 9-10 o'clock?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #97
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Was there any testing done with the MAF positioning other than the 12 o'clock (straight up) position? What are your data results for a/f ratio? How does it compare to the factory position at 9-10 o'clock?
There was some testing done with some different positioning, yes. We are not going to give away that specific of data with how design changes effect outcome, as it is proprietary information to our research and development.

You want your MAF clocked close to 12 o'clock as much as possible. To far off and you could get a CEL, I'm not saying you will for sure, but the system is designed to work properly with the MAF orientated in the housing in the direction we have specified. If you route your harness as described in our instructions, you should have no issue getting the MAF sensor clocked properly.

If you have any questions on how to properly install your CAI feel free to contact us directly and we can assist you. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #98
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Made it back from my trip/road test to VA. 1350 miles. Left the house last Friday at 37 degrees with snow flurries. Cruised down I81 to Martinsburg, WV. Left Sat morn with temp at 30 and went on cruise with Camaro group down Skyline Drive in VA. 105 miles through mountains at elevations between 2000-3000 ft. Temp low 40s. Then on to tidewater area of VA. for a few days, temp in 60s-70s. This system work flawless in all conditions. No codes, throttle response excellent, and we all know about the whine by now. Went to a show Sunday and everyone loved the look. This was well worth the wait.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai inc zl1, cold air intake zl1, zl1 cai