Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #141
CarbonSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Beauwulf, what disc brakes have you installed? I can see you did the Brembo upgrade, but you have slotted/drilled rotors, which brand did you go with?

My Build Thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155676
CarbonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #142
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSS View Post
Beauwulf, what disc brakes have you installed? I can see you did the Brembo upgrade, but you have slotted/drilled rotors, which brand did you go with?
They are not the best out there. I did try a pair of these on the front with HP+ pads on the V6 calipers. At Sebring , they held up well so, I got the full set for the SS to go with the Brembos. I'll let you know how they work out if I get to drive at HMS Sunday.

I got them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230549263277
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #143
CarbonSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
They are not the best out there. I did try a pair of these on the front with HP+ pads on the V6 calipers. At Sebring , they held up well so, I got the full set for the SS to go with the Brembos. I'll let you know how they work out if I get to drive at HMS Sunday.

I got them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230549263277
Awesome thanks! I actually went and bought a set myself, they have to be better than what came stock and I'm not racing her like you are, I mostly want it for regular stopping and show purposes.

How hard was it to change them out?

My Build Thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155676
CarbonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #144
Beauwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSS View Post
Awesome thanks! I actually went and bought a set myself, they have to be better than what came stock and I'm not racing her like you are, I mostly want it for regular stopping and show purposes.

How hard was it to change them out?
To swap out for these rotors and the Brembos wasn't too hard. I just had to trim the edge off the rear dust shield because the larger SS rotors won't fit inside the cover. For you it'll be one screw per rotor...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #145
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
Congrats and good luck on Sunday! Way to rep the V6.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #146
DDA_Skull

Drives: 88 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
Soooo...whats fast to you? Your post is kinda irrelevant. Do you mean fast in a straight line? Fast on a track? Fast getting pushed out of an airplane?

And your notion for stock for stock w/ same amt of mod money is irrelevant too because that stock honda didnt cost as much as your stock camaro, correct?

Having owned 4 cyl Hondas, V8 GTO, turbo'd SRT-4 (which,btw, was my fastest 1/4mi car I owned) and now my 2nd v6 car, I'm not sure one is better than the others. Sure, the 4cyl is not a potent of a base as a large cube v8, but weight differences up to and over 1000 lbs play into the equation too.

But to add to the Joe-Dirtism of this argument, my 4 cyl SRT-4 was faster than your Camaro

Joe Dirt: Comin' to work. Joe Deertay.
KXLA Security Guard: Don't try and church it up son. Don't you mean Joe Dirt? Naming you that your father must've really hated you.
Joe Dirt: You're wrong brother.
KXLA Security Guard: I got a good name for this car, Rusty.
Joe Dirt: Shit'll buff out.
KXLA Security Guard: Don't bother, just drive this piece of crap off a cliff. Do us all a favor.
Joe Dirt: Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?
KXLA Security Guard: You suck!
joe Dirt: You do!
Its the people who take a Honda civic, and upgrade it to beat the cars in a straight line. From the factory it wasn't really built to handle that so the life of the car will probably not outlast a stock car. Just like with the diesel trucks. They can beat a V8 Camaro fairly easy with some cheap mods, my buddy proved it to me, but because of the mods his clutch didn't last very long and he kept having more problems then i ever have.

I love the SRT 4's they are awesome little cars, and yeah they are fast just like the Cobalt SS turbo is actually almost faster then the V8 Camaro in a straight line. Those two cars can be faster, just i don't think they will handle the mods better and last as long as an already big motor can. They will be faster, and might not have costed a bunch of money to make them that fast, but the maintenance cost probably went up. On the day a turbo or supercharger goes out its going to be a nice fix. Where on a naturally aspirated motor, unless its a lemon wont cost as much on the upkeep end of things.

I admit there are cars out there that will beat a V8. no doubt about that, just saying the life expectancy of the modded Civic, or average 4 cylinder probably wont be as long, but you can always prove me wrong.

DDA_Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #147
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
Nice car except for the wing.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #148
DDA_Skull

Drives: 88 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro
I like that rear spoiler. I wouldn't change it at all. nice car.

DDA_Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #149
ChuckD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I have the XA coilovers and a moderately aggressive alignment so far. I intend to get the "Solution B" sways, the rear cradle bushings, and a tower brace as I get the cash to mod up. All Pedders of course...

If you need alignment specs, ask "JusticePete". He'll get you setup for whatever mods and track type your running.

As far as autocross goes... check with Xanthos on my cars abilities...
How was the ride harshness after installing the Xa coilovers?

Did you get any of the bushings kits or alignment kits to go with them?

I'm planning on buying a set of Xa's this spring.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #150
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA_Skull View Post
Its the people who take a Honda civic, and upgrade it to beat the cars in a straight line. From the factory it wasn't really built to handle that so the life of the car will probably not outlast a stock car. Just like with the diesel trucks. They can beat a V8 Camaro fairly easy with some cheap mods, my buddy proved it to me, but because of the mods his clutch didn't last very long and he kept having more problems then i ever have.

I love the SRT 4's they are awesome little cars, and yeah they are fast just like the Cobalt SS turbo is actually almost faster then the V8 Camaro in a straight line. Those two cars can be faster, just i don't think they will handle the mods better and last as long as an already big motor can. They will be faster, and might not have costed a bunch of money to make them that fast, but the maintenance cost probably went up. On the day a turbo or supercharger goes out its going to be a nice fix. Where on a naturally aspirated motor, unless its a lemon wont cost as much on the upkeep end of things.

I admit there are cars out there that will beat a V8. no doubt about that, just saying the life expectancy of the modded Civic, or average 4 cylinder probably wont be as long, but you can always prove me wrong.
I agree with you about all of that.
I would rather run a conservative set up on a larger motor than try to produce so much high-pressure-hp out of a smaller 4 cyl.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #151
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
wheel color with the body color come together nicely, i forgot to mention that until now
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #152
Beauwulf

Well, I made it to Homestead on Sunday and I did get the car out for a few laps. The good news is:

1) The tires worked very well!
2) The suspension was brilliant!
3) the instructor loved the sound of the engine... and the handling!
4) I ran down (and nearly over) a couple doctors playing with their Porches!

The bad news was that I had/have a brake issue. After only 2-3 laps, as I began to press the brake markers a bit deeper, the car developed a shudder in the front wheels!

I can't find any clear evidence of what the problem is ATM. I've inspected (and bleed) the brakes to no avail. At this point, I suspect there is an issue with material transfer from the OE pads to the rotors and the new pads don't like that.

Guess I'll get in touch with EBC to see what they have to say...

In the mean time, I'll clean the rotors and prep the pads again and bed them. Then I'll test them again.

Since my sessions were so short, My photographer didn't get any good shots but, here's what he did get:

The track photographer got a couple of shots so, when he posts them, I'll grab those and put them up.

I do have some video to edit and upload so, check back later...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #153
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Sweet! Looking forward to more! Car looks great.

Man I'd love to drive your car just to feel the handling difference, but that is too bad about the brakes! Rotors weren't possibly overheating and warping were they?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #154
Beauwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to more! Car looks great.

Man I'd love to drive your car just to feel the handling difference, but that is too bad about the brakes! Rotors weren't possibly overheating and warping were they?
I don't think so. I pulled off right after the shudder got bad in turn 10 (exit to the pits is right after that) and was parked in the first garage at the exit. As soon as I got out of the car, I used my pyrometer on the rotors and the fronts were 250F with the rears at 275. I checked a couple other cars in my garage after they came back from their sessions and most read 575-625F. My temp strip on the calipers didn't even register the first range (250F)!