Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
broker99

Drives: ?
2013 ZL1 Camaro-Tampa Fl

Hello Everyone

I just finished up this very nice 2013 Camaro ZL1. The car had less than 7500 miles on the car.

Below is picture of the car right after it was washed. The car looks pretty good right? This is where the story starts to get interesting. Let’s pull the car in the garage dim the lights and see what there is to discover.

The owner of this ZL1 took this car to another detailer a couple months back for a full paint correction and an approved installer only coating was to be applied. I am not going to mention the name of the coating but one that has very lofty claims like multiple years of protection, can only be scratched by Kryptonite, etc. , ect. After 2 attempts with the previous dealer this is what he ended up with.
**Just a little disclaimer I don’t want to put down the work of another detailer I just want to show what I had to work with.

The following shows the improperly applied coating

The owner decided enough was enough. He came across some of my posts and reached out to me to see if I could correct some of the issues

I figured this was going to be a big job to remove all the coating and swirls underneath. I found the best combo was Mezerna FG400 on an orange pad. I was figuring the coating was going to put up more of a fight but it come off a little easier than I thought. Don’t get me wrong it was still a lot of work. Some areas had to be polished with a 2 inch cyan pad in addition to some areas being hand polished to remove all traces of prior coating.

Already looking a lot glossier with FG400 in the first step.

How about a coating removal 50/50

For the second step I stayed in the Mezerana line with SF4000 on a tangerine pad.
Final polishing was done with a white Rupes pad and Rupes Ultra diamond polish.
Wheels removed then clean and sealed. Calipers hand polished with M205 and coated with opti-coat. Wheel wells cleaned and dressed with Carpro PERL.

Not really want to try another silica based coating this time around but wanting something that would be durable the owner and I discussed a few options and settled on Optimum Gloss Coat.
After applying the first coat was not that impressed so I decided to wait an hour and apply another coat and what a difference. The gloss really came out with the second coat.

Finished product

Total time around 45 hours to complete.

Thanks for looking
broker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
looking great man! actually looking pretty close to perfect!

Where in tampa are you from?? I'm originally from Carrolwood

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
Very nice job!!! That poor car looked like it was washed with steelwool.
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Was this the first time doing this? Just curious. It looks great dude. My paint still looks pretty good. I really careful with the towels I use on it. But I got one clear coat scratch on the hood. I'm really nervous about attempting to take it out. I have the 7424xp and some blackfire polish and waxes. I guess I need to attempt it on a friends car first lol. Well anyway I gotta tell you that your car came out great.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
is he selling it?
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I'm sorry I mis read first paragraph. Your a pro! Lol
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
ac13zl1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Great job by broker99..
Im the owner of the car and really happy with the outcome..
I was very pissed off with the terrible job the other guy did and was worried about how to fix it, but broker99 definitely put paint in really good condition.
Broker also cleaned up / sealed under the hood and engine and the inside of the wheels, etc.
The color is very deep now..amazing results..
ac13zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
True show car finish! Immaculate! Rupes pad and diamond polish definitely a winner!
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Beautiful work, l love the Rupes Polishes......
Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Very nice! Excellent job!! Do they use a different paint on the ZL1s, or could any of us with lower-end models get the same results using the same products??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Tecca

Drives: ...
This goes to show just because you have expensive products or use what everyone else uses doesn't mean you are going to have a immaculate finish in the end. It is all about the person using the product and you sir did an amazing job.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Great job. I love FG400 followed by F4500

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Very nice! Excellent job!! Do they use a different paint on the ZL1s, or could any of us with lower-end models get the same results using the same products??
same paint as the ones on the non-ZL1, the only different ones are the ones with tricoat or whatever it is called ie red crystal tintcoat

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candr3535 View Post
Was this the first time doing this? Just curious. It looks great dude. My paint still looks pretty good. I really careful with the towels I use on it. But I got one clear coat scratch on the hood. I'm really nervous about attempting to take it out. I have the 7424xp and some blackfire polish and waxes. I guess I need to attempt it on a friends car first lol. Well anyway I gotta tell you that your car came out great.
HaHa great idea!!!! I got my 2015 and was super nervous but I watch videos and tried to get a technique down......I did a good job getting out some scratches on my hood from the dealership. It helps to have a few levels of polish and start with least aggressive and use correct pads. So far being a newbie I am pretty happy with my results.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote