Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Thinking about lowering

I'm on the fence about lowering the car 1 inch. I know the pros and wanted to hear are there any cons? Will my 305's rub? 275's front rub? Will suspension geometry get thrown off with a 1 inch lower? Besides alignment what else would be recommended to do it right?

Thanks in advance
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It's great if you have good roads unfortunately a lot of roads where I'm at suck. you feel ever bump and the car bottoms out easier. But I love the stance.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
You will definitely need to be more wary about driveway ramps and sidewalk curbs, especially with the front end, but also the doors too (if parking beside a tall sidewalk or something).

I also noticed a bit more bump steer once lowered, as expected, but it's not enough to worry about, and you can get bump steer fixing kits if you really want it (basically an outer toe rod with a spacer on the stud to move the arm down in tandem with the chassis).

From what I've read lots of people run 275 and 305/315 while lowered with no issues.

I suggest going with a higher spring rate and linear-rate springs if possible because - as mentioned above - you'll bottom out more often when hitting big bumps/holes; I have Eibach's pro kit which (I'm pretty sure) are progressive, and I bottom out more often than I'd wish.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Here’s the cons why I raised mine back up.

For the record.....Most lowering springs that promise lowering one inch usually settle in to more than an inch. I’ve never seen any less than an inch...

It’s a rough ride. The stock springs are much smoother and easier on the back. People just won’t admit to it, but especially on long rides..it’s a lot more fatiguing on you.
Lowered makes it challenging to load on a trailer or towing.
Lowered you have to watch every parking lot you enter and exit, that gets old real quick...plus those parking barriers seem to come up and meet the car more often.

Keep this in mind..it is a HUGE pain in the ass to switch back!

Not trying to discourage you. Those are just the cons I experienced. I was so very relieved to switch back to stock level. With stock springs and Nitto tires it is one smooth ride and worry free. Try lowering springs and Perellis...it was like riding in a covered wagon...lol.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Here’s the cons why I raised mine back up.

For the record.....Most lowering springs that promise lowering one inch usually settle in to more than an inch. I’ve never seen any less than an inch...

It’s a rough ride. The stock springs are much smoother and easier on the back. People just won’t admit to it, but especially on long rides..it’s a lot more fatiguing on you.
Lowered makes it challenging to load on a trailer or towing.

Lowered you have to watch every parking lot you enter and exit, that gets old real quick...plus those parking barriers seem to come up and meet the car more often.

Keep this in mind..it is a HUGE pain in the ass to switch back!

Not trying to discourage you. Those are just the cons I experienced. I was so very relieved to switch back to stock level. With stock springs and Nitto tires it is one smooth ride and worry free. Try lowering springs and Perellis...it was like riding in a covered wagon...lol.
I would have to disagree. I can honestly say that I was a bit concerned about having a stiffer ride after lowering because to me, stock was already a bit stiffer than anything I have ever lowered. After installing my Eibach pro-kit, it felt pretty much the same, maybe slightly stiffer but I don't notice it. I do agree with the parking barriers though and I have managed to scrape the lower part of the front bumper on a steep parking lot exit. I would also never tow anything with my Camaro.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
I would have to disagree. I can honestly say that I was a bit concerned about having a stiffer ride after lowering because to me, stock was already a bit stiffer than anything I have ever lowered. After installing my Eibach pro-kit, it felt pretty much the same, maybe slightly stiffer but I don't notice it. I do agree with the parking barriers though and I have managed to scrape the lower part of the front bumper on a steep parking lot exit. I would also never tow anything with my Camaro.
Towing the car...As in needing to load on to a flat bed tow truck should the need arise, not towing a trailer with the car. I should have been more clear.. minor detail... I know.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #7
707 SS

Drives: 2010 2SS
Coil overs is the way to go gives you flexibility of lowering raising or stiffing or softining best of both worlds but I leave mine at 1”to1 1/2 “lowered those other guy are right about speed bumps and driveways you’ll get good at going over them at an angle and slow 305 s fit at 1” lower in rear looks mean
707 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I'm on the fence about lowering the car 1 inch. I know the pros and wanted to hear are there any cons? Will my 305's rub? 275's front rub? Will suspension geometry get thrown off with a 1 inch lower? Besides alignment what else would be recommended to do it right?

Thanks in advance

A 275 on the front without proper offset, and the car is lowered, will hit the strut.

I have been lowered 1.5" since 2010 and have had no issues. That is with lowering springs. I will finally go with coilovers this winter to give me a little better/smoother ride along with being able to adjust my ride height for daily driving more. 1.5" and smaller sidewall tires (285/35) is a little much for the bad roads in Indiana.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
1LE is lowered from stock, and while it doesn't bother me, the ride is very bumpy. I only notice when I have something fragile in the trunk.

My 02 WS6 was also lowered (from previous owner) and I absolutely hated it. The car scraped, the ride was rough, and I couldn't do speed bumps. To each their own but I wouldn't recommend it.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
I installed BMR 1.5 lowering springs. Stance looked great... Ride was terrible. I mean If I hit a significant bump my teeth would chatter. I really didn't enjoy driving the car as much. Go with the coil overs. Steve at RDP motorsports hooked me up with a set of KW coil overs. I never heard of the brand. They are a German make and used in exotics. They cost me around 1500. I cant believe how good the car rides now.
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
Jmar

Drives: 2012 LS3 CRM, V8 Healey, Mini
I lowered mine 1" with Eibach springs. It was more of an experiment to see if I could lose a second or two on the road course. The ride feels the same but I think it's a little lower now that they have settled. Watch the nose when you park. You'll scrape those parking stops at the grocery store.

I live in Michigan and I really have to watch out for potholes!
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote