Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #225
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketebo22 View Post
i dont understand how this is going to flow any better, be any cooler or make any more power than a New Era Performance OTR CAI..someone wanna tune me in?
I think the lack of 2 quick bends will help it out. Thats the only reason I think it will make more power than most other units is because theres no bend in the intake.

I still want to know IAT from the MAF not some random spot where they tapped the manifold. They say you cant measure from the MAF...but why has GM been doing it for years...along with everyone else?

I dont care about manifold temps because I dont believe its the intake dropping temps below ambient temps.(if that actually happens) Do an apples to apples temp reading from the MAF with the vararam and a stocker, then throw in a "pipe with a filter" and show me the results. Then go ahead and plumb the manifold with a IAT sensor and show all three results again.

I just dont like companies talking soooo much ship but never throwing out real comparisons or proof.

Take a bone stock camaro out to the track and run 3 passes back to back then install the vararam and do the same thing. Its not that hard.

Ive seen some "ram air units" pick up about 1-2 tenths on 4th gens, but they looked a little bit more free flowing.

I want to pull the trigger on this, but I want real proof that its the bees knees, not mismatched comparisons and sorcery formulas telling me that if Im not happy with what I got, just go ahead and add 5% on top of that. I shouldnt have to add that if it does what you claim it does in the first place.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #226
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
I think the lack of 2 quick bends will help it out. Thats the only reason I think it will make more power than most other units is because theres no bend in the intake.

I still want to know IAT from the MAF not some random spot where they tapped the manifold. They say you cant measure from the MAF...but why has GM been doing it for years...along with everyone else?

I dont care about manifold temps because I dont believe its the intake dropping temps below ambient temps.(if that actually happens) Do an apples to apples temp reading from the MAF with the vararam and a stocker, then throw in a "pipe with a filter" and show me the results. Then go ahead and plumb the manifold with a IAT sensor and show all three results again.

I just dont like companies talking soooo much ship but never throwing out real comparisons or proof.

Take a bone stock camaro out to the track and run 3 passes back to back then install the vararam and do the same thing. Its not that hard.

Ive seen some "ram air units" pick up about 1-2 tenths on 4th gens, but they looked a little bit more free flowing.

I want to pull the trigger on this, but I want real proof that its the bees knees, not mismatched comparisons and sorcery formulas telling me that if Im not happy with what I got, just go ahead and add 5% on top of that. I shouldnt have to add that if it does what you claim it does in the first place.
I really like the design and reputation...but...there are many to choose from and I only want to buy one not the try and change method
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #227
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Just so everyone is clear...They tune the car by manipulating the MAF. They are able to add timing and lean out the AFR with simple MAF manipulation. Yes this is tricking the ECM, but you are going to be safe because of the protection provided by the knock sensors. The good thing is, at least for the no tune guys, is your getting a free tune with the purchase of a CAI. This is a TUNED CAI for all intensive purposes. Give them credit for all their research in being able not to trip the CEL. IMO it's still the best on the market.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #228
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Too bad you don't live around the SA area. I'd be happy to meet up with you, toss in the CAI in your ride, and let you take it out for some fun.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #229
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Too bad you don't live around the SA area. I'd be happy to meet up with you, toss in the CAI in your ride, and let you take it out for some fun.
how do you know how to install the new VARARAM so well ? lol
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #230
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I think a lot of us want to see that and I plan on doing it when I get mine.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #231
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

heck...i suppose nothing is stopping me from taking my stock unit out to the track and then with the beta unit I have now. only problem...i have to take off of work to do it. WHICH...is basically a $200 loss in the time I burn to take off. So....

And yes, I know how to take it on and off since I've done it quite a few times. Shoot...anyone in teh SA area want me to toss theirs in, just LMK where you want to meet. I'd be MORE than happy to get it done!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #232
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Seems like an easy setup. I should have a lot more room in that driver's front corner under the hood since mine is arriving today via UPS. I'll throw in my opinion. Really ready to drive over to ADM though and get my tune and engine light off the dash. Really curious to see how all my parts run after the intake and tune. I am so ready to get this intake on. I would think it should take about 15-20 minutes from start to finish.
We'll be seeing our 2nd snow here in the Dallas metroplex this winter so perfect timing. Actually, the snow won't be here long.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #233
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This is why I wanted to see Whacker get his first, as he really has his car dialed in on the track and knows EXACTLY what it consistenly runs.

Can't wait to see what this intake does on his car...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #234
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This is why I wanted to see Whacker get his first, as he really has his car dialed in on the track and knows EXACTLY what it consistently runs.

Can't wait to see what this intake does on his car...
Well the tracks around here are closed till the 8th of February. However the Palmer software I run gives me a 1/4 mile and dyno option. It's actually quite nice. When I do get the intake I will do a dyno and a 1/4 mile run then swap to the Vararam and repeat. This software is accurate enough to see a performance gain.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote