Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, this is what I was trying to find - a rotation arrow - like on my motorcycle tires - there isn't one! However, the markings on the tires are in a particular direction - not sure which is forward.

Name:  pirhz7.ang.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  23.3 KB

The outer markings are going in a certain direction and if you flip the tire to the other side, then they will be reversed. So, not sure if these signify a rotational direction or not. I will call to see if Discount Tire or Tire Rack knows which is which. I have a 50-50 chance that I put them on the "right" way

Thanks,
Michael J.

EDIT:
Just hung up with Discount Tire and they said there is no difference left to right as long as the tire is mounted with the OUTSIDE facing outside...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;

Last edited by Michael_Js; 10-26-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Just hung up with Discount Tire and they said there is no difference left to right as long as the tire is mounted with the OUTSIDE facing outside...
well they gave you the "hot poop" as our tires are NOT directional, all you need to ensure is to have them mounted with the OUTSIDE MARKING mounted facing outside.......thats all there is to it. SO, if you end up getting 4 rears, or 4 fronts so you can rotate them. You can rotate them front to back OR even side to side. whatever "trips your trigger"

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 10-26-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Cool! That's what I had thought!

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
yubman

Drives: paid for
Quote:
Originally Posted by mion2001 View Post
I am now running 20X8's (fronts) all the way around and I plan to rotate front to back.
Joe
How does the car handle with 4 fronts? After reading some of the suspension threads it sounds like the camaro will handle better with 4 matching tires/wheels (something about understeer).

Also why did you go with all fronts instead of all rears? Just asking as I'm also considering running 4 fronts (due to cheaper rubber).
yubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Seems to handle fine, never thought about the cheaper rubber, just found a complete set that a member was selling and decided to go for it. 20X8 is still a fairly large tire. I was more worried about rotating and keeping the RS/SS type wheel style. I have about 1200 miles now with no issues. I did have to have the TPMS reset when I put the wheels on, other than that good to go.
But now that you mentioned it they are bit cheaper and you really can't tell unless you are really looking at the size.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubman View Post
How does the car handle with 4 fronts? After reading some of the suspension threads it sounds like the camaro will handle better with 4 matching tires/wheels (something about understeer).

Also why did you go with all fronts instead of all rears? Just asking as I'm also considering running 4 fronts (due to cheaper rubber).
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Hmm...I like rears on 4-corners. When getting my Vogtland Lowering Springs today, the owner/engineer, Richard, said the 4 rears were the way to go for the best handling. It handles Great the way it's set up! Now for better shocks! Can you say their coilovers next? Free is good!!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mion2001 View Post
Seems to handle fine, never thought about the cheaper rubber, just found a complete set that a member was selling and decided to go for it. 20X8 is still a fairly large tire. I was more worried about rotating and keeping the RS/SS type wheel style. I have about 1200 miles now with no issues. I did have to have the TPMS reset when I put the wheels on, other than that good to go.
But now that you mentioned it they are bit cheaper and you really can't tell unless you are really looking at the size.

Joe
I bought a extra set of Polished wheels and tires.I was wondering what you have to do to reset the TPMS sensors?
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #22
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

I took mine to the dealer and it took them about 5 min. Not sure if you can take it anywhere else (like Discount Tires, etc). They didn't charge me anything but I believe that's what they do when they rotate tires, so that's what the charge might be to reset them??

Joe
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Resetting the TPMS is very easy - just follow the manual:

The TPMS matching process is
outlined below:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to
ON/RUN with the engine off.
3. Go to the TPM vehicle
information screen on the DIC.
See Driver Information Center
(DIC) on page 4-27. Press set to
relearn the sensors. The horn
sounds twice to signal the
receiver is in relearn mode and
Tire Learning Active message
displays on the DIC screen.
4. Start with the driver side
front tire.
5. Remove the valve cap from
the valve stem. Activate the
TPMS sensor by increasing or
decreasing the tire’s air pressure
for 10 seconds, or until a horn
chirp sounds. The horn chirp,
which can take up to 30 seconds
to sound, confirms that the TPMS
sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire position.
6. Proceed to the passenger
side front tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.
7. Proceed to the passenger
side rear tire, and repeat
the procedure in Step 5.
8. Proceed to the driver side rear
tire, and repeat the procedure
in Step 5.
9. After hearing the confirming horn
chirp, for the driver side rear tire,
the horn sounds two more times
to signal the tire learning mode is
no longer active. Turn the ignition
switch to LOCK/OFF.
10. Set all four tires to the
recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the tire
and loading information label.
11. Put the valve caps back on the
valve stems.
The tires air pressure will not
appear on the screen until you start
driving the vehicle.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #24
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

Cool, thanks! That's why I love this site!
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Resetting the TPMS is very easy - just follow the manual:
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Great info....Thanks
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #26
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

No problem. It took me about 3 minutes to go all the way around. Just be sure to follow the sequence otherwise the DIC will display the wrong tire pressure for that tire. Very easy. My girlfriend said I looked like I was in a pit crew running around to each tire, taking air out, and waiting for the horn to honk
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #27
mion2001
My Upgraded Life

That's funny, my wife thinks I'm nuts already with this car. I guess they just don't understand!...lol
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Has anyone else done the 20x9 rear tires all the way around? I tried that today at my Chevrolet dealership with no success. I had an extra matching set of rims and took the rear wheels with 4 new rear size Pirellis. They changed the tread on my back rims, but then called me and said they decided they couldn't put the rear wheels on the fronts like I requested. They said that with the rears on the front, there was only a pinky widths amount of room between the tire and the suspension. I argued that others have done it with no rubbing issues, but the bottom line is that they will not do it due to liability reasons. In case it hits and I have a blowout, they don't want to be held liable. Now I'm forced to take my remaining rear 20x9 Tire Rack ordered Pirellis to another shop for a 2nd opinion. If they say it won't work, I'll have to figure out how to exchange them out through Tire Rack for the original front sizes.
While I'm waiting for Monday to do it, I was wondering if anyone else has successfully done this on their SS?