Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #57
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I decided to go with a Lysholm. Lysholm's are twin screw types (like whipple). So it should allow for power growth like a whipple will (with supporting mods of course).

Can't wait to get it installed!
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #58
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
I keep hearing that the Whipple has much lower intake air temperatures even after being run hard for extended periods of time. To me this would be a critically contributing factor to the decision. Reliable, cool, dense air. I've lost an engine to detonation before. Good parts are worth more than their difference in price.
ARH 1-7/8" Headers and complete exhaust - NO cats!
Varraram CAI - Vmax throttle body, ATI 10% underdrive pulley
RPS Street Twin - MGW Shifter
3.91 gears + DSS 1000hp axles
PFADT - Stage 4 Camaro Road Racing Kit - 8" springs 325# and 600# - ZL Spec Sway bars - Strut Tower Brace - Camber plates.
CTSV front calipers - Hawk DTC 30 pads
Street: Forgestar F14 20x9 and 20x11, 275/315 Nitto Invo's, Track: TOYO R888 285/35/20 on 4 corners
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #59
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I decided to go with a Lysholm. Lysholm's are twin screw types (like whipple). So it should allow for power growth like a whipple will (with supporting mods of course).

Either way they are all good blowers. Just food for thought no one is making more power with a whipple than with a maggie. Just because a Whipple is a larger blower doesnt mean it will make more Power. Alot of people on here seemed confused about the " whipple giving you room to grow" but as far as i know the top end of these blower are about the same if anything superchargedss is making more power with a maggie than anyone with a whipple has.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #60
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I made more power with a whipple than I did with my Maggie...

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #61
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
" as far as i know the top end of these blowers are about same" meaning there is no more room to grow with a whipple than there is a maggie. That why guys looking for huge power are going centri
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #62
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
" as far as i know the top end of these blowers are about same" meaning there is no more room to grow with a whipple than there is a maggie. That why guys looking for huge power are going centri
Very true, but I'm not looking to make huge power. I want my motor to last 100,000 miles.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #63
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Todd, first I would like to thank you for trusting us with your car and your business! Your choice is has been one based on research and diligent thinking, in my opinion you have made a wise choice for your power adder.

Others, Do not always fixate on maximum power, it is NOT the answer to everything.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #64
FLYZNTN

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible FI
A 2.9 Liter Twin Screw Whipple is going to have more room to grow than a 2.3 Liter Hybrid Roots (Twin Impeller) Magnusson.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 01-03-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I'm a bonehead.
FLYZNTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #65
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZNTN View Post
A 2.9 Liter Twin Screw Whipple is going to have more room to grow than a 2.3 Liter Single Screw Magnusson.
Single Screw????????????
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #66
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZNTN View Post
A 2.9 Liter Twin Screw Whipple is going to have more room to grow than a 2.3 Liter Single Screw Magnusson.

I recommend you do a lot more research on both the Whipple and Magnuson.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #67
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Why Lysholm?

Quote:

For us who have not made the final SC what vendor decision yet - just curious what tipped your decision to go with Lysholm?

Originally you were debating Whipple vs Magnuson.....thanks!

BTW - congratulations for pulling the trigger!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #68
monstertodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
For us who have not made the final SC what vendor decision yet - just curious what tipped your decision to go with Lysholm?

Originally you were debating Whipple vs Magnuson.....thanks!

BTW - congratulations for pulling the trigger!
The Lysholm was suggested to me by superchargerconnection.com (the vendor I used). They had one on the shelf and offered me a great deal.

The Lysholm is a twin screw type, so It's operating principles are similar to the Whipple, which is what I was leaning towards anyway. I figured the Lysholm and Whipple will probably make similar numbers. A plus is that the Lysholm kit includes it's own custom designed intake, so no need to spend extra on a CAI. Plus the Lysholm is different than what most people are running, which I like.

The Lysholm does have a minus though. They offer a 36 month warranty. BUT the catch is that it starts from the cars original in service date. So if you've already had your car for 2 years, you just lost 2 years off the top of your warranty. I opted to not get the warranty.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #69
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Quote:
The Lysholm was suggested to me by superchargerconnection.com (the vendor I used). They had one on the shelf and offered me a great deal.

The Lysholm is a twin screw type, so It's operating principles are similar to the Whipple, which is what I was leaning towards anyway. I figured the Lysholm and Whipple will probably make similar numbers. A plus is that the Lysholm kit includes it's own custom designed intake, so no need to spend extra on a CAI. Plus the Lysholm is different than what most people are running, which I like.

The Lysholm does have a minus though. They offer a 36 month warranty. BUT the catch is that it starts from the cars original in service date. So if you've already had your car for 2 years, you just lost 2 years off the top of your warranty. I opted to not get the warranty.
A friend of mine has the Lysholm on his SS. I don't think the power number were as high as mine are with the Whipple, but it's more than enough to make your car a rocket! Any forced induction no matter what/how/type is worth it. Enjoy, and that kit looks really good under the hood.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
I made more power with a whipple than I did with my Maggie...
I bought his Maggie and love it!!!! I don't need any more power.....I have plenty to land my a#$ in jail.
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote