Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
MaroMike94

Drives: 2012 camaro lt
Lowering my 2013 SS

I'm lowering my SS soon and I was looking for advice on the best route. Bags? Coil overs? Let me know!
MaroMike94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
There is tons of info here, not just slick sales pitches from advertisements. Just spend a few hours reading the posts on this topic, but I'll give you a few short answers:

Coilovers- the best-the most expensive (by far) but the cheap ones are no good

Lowering springs- not expensive, possible to install them yourself, alignment needed afterwards. Cost to have them installed and than an alignment averages about $400 for the springs to be installed and $60 - $100 for an alignment. The bushings need to be "timed", and so all in all, this does take some time and patience to study up on it. I know, why is 3- 4 hours of labor cost $400? Well, if the area you live in has allot of competition, you might do as well as getting them installed for about 1/2 that.

The tools needed to do it are listed in one of the threads which, whenever I find something I might need to refer to later, I send a link to myself thru email. Here is a PDF from BMR: http://bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/SP022.pdf

Bags-I'm going to sound ignorant, but never heard of them. If you mean air controlled, that would be similar in quality and price to coilovers (I presume, based on the exotic cars I've seen them on) .

I decided on PFADT lowering springs which will drop a V8 or V6 model 1.25". The coilovers which are good can lower it evan more and are adjustable, have better clearance. If you have a steep driveway or other similar difficult driving habits, you might want to stay stock. The lowering springs offered by them (and most others) give you a more stiff ride, many report that they LOVE the way it drives afterward. A few have issues with feeling as if the alignment is bad, so make sure you get the alignment done by a place you can trust.

And oh yeah, this can and will effect your warranty if that concerns you. Ask your dealer to explain what might be effected, you'd be surprised when he says "well, if your transmission goes, the angle of the doo-hicky is off spec due to the lowering, sooo..." (you get my drift). Don't think I ever heard anything good here about dealerships quality of workmanship so I'd look elsewhere for anything, especially an alignment.

Last edited by BUZZCAMARO; 10-07-2012 at 01:51 AM.
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
MaroMike94

That was exactly the advice I'm looking for. Thanks man, I'm gonna read up on this too. Big help
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
I have heard good and bad things about lowering springs. I would rather not experiment with them after what I have read. For example; bad ride quality, bouncing rear end, and shortening the shock lifespan considerably. I would probably experience all of those if I was to get them lol.

Just recently I ordered my second set of coilovers. They are KW variant 1. I have had KW variant 2 in the past but it was on an 05 M3 many years ago. I was very pleased with my KW's so I stuck with their company.

As far as bags go, I have seen some cars completely slammed with those. If that is what you are looking for they will do that for you pretty well.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
MaroMike94

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUBslow View Post
I have heard good and bad things about lowering springs. I would rather not experiment with them after what I have read. For example; bad ride quality, bouncing rear end, and shortening the shock lifespan considerably. I would probably experience all of those if I was to get them lol.

Just recently I ordered my second set of coilovers. They are KW variant 1. I have had KW variant 2 in the past but it was on an 05 M3 many years ago. I was very pleased with my KW's so I stuck with their company.

As far as bags go, I have seen some cars completely slammed with those. If that is what you are looking for they will do that for you pretty well.
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely gonna check the coilovers out. But do you think if I put bags on it the ride will be uncomfortable? I'm looking to slam or it keep the tire just under the wheel well along with a smooth ride. I'm trying to steer away from a bouncy ride.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
firehawk1

Drives: 1999 Firehawk,2007 ZO6,2010SS
Lowering Camaro

I had Eibach lowering springs and swaybars installed on my 2010 2SS/RS.
It made all of the difference in the world. The car looks better and rides and handles better. I highly recommend it. Check out the prices on them from
AutoAnything.
firehawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
the people at Airlift claim the ride is quite competitive with other upgrades, and significantly better than stock. Even if that is true, and it may very well be, the cost is still more than coilovers. Additionally you have to give up space for the air tanks and compressor. It's cool as hell to see a car slammed, and to be able to raise it up if you encouter a steep entry, but it comes at a financial and space taking price. All depends on your finances and goals I guess. Tons of info in the suspension and brakes sub forum.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, lower