Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
Best paint to paint the bowties?

Gonna try my hand at painting my front bowtie, just wondering what the best type/brand of spray paint will be to spray and then clear it, or will any old rattle can paint work?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Plastidip is simple and looks good, but if you want gloss finish the rustoleum base coat plus clear works well. But it takes a bit of skill and some polishes to get it OEM type clear...good luck...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Have Lupe do them

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=lupe

Mine are the RJT ones in post 847

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=lupe&page=22
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
usranger80

i dont want to pay that much, i know he does amazing work but that is a little too pricey for me
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

ok
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
usranger80

He does do some amazing work though, I want to learn to paint like that, got me a couple extra bowties coming and I am gonna give it my best.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

That's cool. Just didn't know if you knew about him. Good luck and post pictures!

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I taped and masked my off. You can use a can a spray paint, I used a paint gun I got on ebay and used GM car paint and clearcoat on mine. From what I was told a can of spray paint is like 1 part to 100 parts of paint to air ratio, and a paint gun can be adjusted from 1 to 1000 ppm. And the really expensive guns can go 1 to 1 million ppm. That is what give a paint job a really good vs really bad. I did my front and back, here is a photo of the back one, kinda hard to see. But who really looks that close at a bow tie?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I taped and masked my off. You can use a can a spray paint, I used a paint gun I got on ebay and used GM car paint and clearcoat on mine. From what I was told a can of spray paint is like 1 part to 100 parts of paint to air ratio, and a paint gun can be adjusted from 1 to 1000 ppm. And the really expensive guns can go 1 to 1 million ppm. That is what give a paint job a really good vs really bad. I did my front and back, here is a photo of the back one, kinda hard to see. But who really looks that close at a bow tie?
This is absolutely true - I can paint pretty well. Lotsa experience. Last year I painted a rear spoiler base+ clear coat and got it to where I thought it was good. But it just did not look exactly like the trunk paint so I took it to my body shop. He handed it back to me in a day or two with clear coat that looked like a tabletop...perfect and deep. I asked him if it was his technique and he said "that...and a multi-thousand dollar paint gun" - it simply sprays a LOT MORE 2 part clear at a time, than a rattle can...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote