Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
14AGMSS

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/L99
Spray wax / Quick Wax

I have been using Mequiar's Ultimate quick wax for years. I have an Ashen Gray now. My previous two cars were black and I never used a paste or even cream based wax that had to be rubbed on and could then potentially create swirls and streaks during removal. I have only used the quick liquid wax because they apply easily and get wiped with a clean MF towel.

This method has worked pretty well over the years with no swirls on the paint.

Are there other quick waxes or other options that you would recommend.
14AGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I won't go too far off the rails here - but applying a paste or liquid car wax to your car isn't a source for swirl marks. Using poor quality towels, bad wash habits, or wiping the car down when dusty or dirty is.

As far as using a quick or spray wax: I totally get the appeal. Fast and easy - typically though you don't get much longevity out of these types of products. The wax has to be thinned to a point to make it sprayable (in other words, diluted) so the actual wax content tends to be low, meaning applications needs to be more frequent in order to maintain protection. So short term benefit is there, but in the long run a more durable option would save time and product due to the less frequent application requirements.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
You might try a wowa sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal as easy to use as Ultimate quick wax and better protection.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
So basically when is the right time to use quick wax. Is it ok to have waxed your car lets say a week before I washed and was ready to apply spray wax? I got some for christmas and haven't understood it quite well.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Jackpot

I use Ultimate quick wax or quick Detailer as a drying aide every time I wash my car.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
So basically when is the right time to use quick wax. Is it ok to have waxed your car lets say a week before I washed and was ready to apply spray wax? I got some for christmas and haven't understood it quite well.
In my opinion - as a booster for something more substantial. So in your scenario lets say you washed, clayed, polished, and waxed your car this weekend with something with more durability (a sealant or a nice paste wax)

2 weeks from now the car is dusty, so you do a wash and dry, then top it with a spray wax. Its not going to give you a ton of added protection, but its a nice boost to whats there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I use Ultimate quick wax or quick Detailer as a drying aide every time I wash my car.
This is where theres a lot of confusion:

Detail Spray ≠ Spray Wax

A spray wax is going to be something a kin to a liquid wax, but thinned to the point its spray-able. So you spray it on, spread it around, let it haze, buff it off.

A Detail Spray or Quick Detailer is part cleaner, part protectant, part shine enhancer - it can be used as a drying aid. It adds even less in terms of surface coating/protecton, but it can also be used for light cleaning.

The 2 categories get jumbled up a lot of the time, but they are distinctly different products.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Gizmo

Drives: ZL1
Optimum Car Wax as a standalone product (for use on a prepped surface). I haven't used it for a few years, but it used it be stupid easy to use and gave great results. I haven't read anything that would cause me to think anything has changed.

Chemical Guys V07 as a booster to a base coat wax or sealant.
2014 BRM ZL1 #229
Rotofab, VMax, Moroso, MGW
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Great info

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
I use the Meguiars spray wax every time I wash and dry my car. This is of course in addition to the waxing I do 2-3 times a year. I use it as my detail spray, and love it.

I actually use the Synthetic X-Press Spray wax from Meguiars, I believe it is the same as what you are using, but sold by the gallon.

This "spray wax" does not dry and haze up, so I believe it is the same in that regard as Adams' spray detailer in that it boosts existing wax.

Just my 2 cents.

One day may try the Adams, but I just can't get over the additional cost.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes
This is where theres a lot of confusion:

Detail Spray ≠ Spray Wax

A spray wax is going to be something a kin to a liquid wax, but thinned to the point its spray-able. So you spray it on, spread it around, let it haze, buff it off.

A Detail Spray or Quick Detailer is part cleaner, part protectant, part shine enhancer - it can be used as a drying aid. It adds even less in terms of surface coating/protecton, but it can also be used for light cleaning.

The 2 categories get jumbled up a lot of the time, but they are distinctly different products.
The OP Question was about a replacement for Mequiar's Ultimate quick wax witch is a Hydrophobic Polymer not a liquid wax.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Yes, it is confusing as many over the counter products seem to advertise spray wax and sealants interchangeably.

Here is a helpful video on durability of spray on sealant/wax products. The Meguiar's Quick Wax performed admirably 10 days and several thunderstorms post application. It was on the far right. The Optimum Car Wax did the best and jt was applied far left. Can't remember what the other two products tested were but they were in the middle between the Megs and Optimum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mkgp07UvDg
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I usually use spray wax to extend the wax application, usually wax every 4-6 weeks, I will use spray wax to extend it out an extra week or so. Usually the last week or two of a cycle. I have been using Griots.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Great info
+1. Sure is.....
Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Everything that Dylan said is pretty much spot on. I have even seen spray waxes marketed as detail sprays and vise versa. Detailing product technology is changing so fast that it is often times hard to understand everything clearly with all of the hype. I will first say that I would not be afraid to wax or use a sealant on your car. You are just as likely to create swirls washing your car and using a spray wax as your are waxing it. It is all about technique and equipment. Good towels and applicators with the proper technique will not create swirls. But everyone has their own appeals so to each their own. If you want to stick to spray products. I have configured a nice list for you below. I have experience with all of them except CarPro Reload. If you have any questions about any of them feel free to ask.

Duragloss Aquawax is a great alternative for Meguiars Ultimate. Duragloss Aquawax is more of a polymer based spray wax, very similar to Meguiars. It is great as a drying aid as it was designed to be sprayed on a wet car then wiped off. It doesn't have to be used that way though. It is very cheap and can be found locally at places like Car Quest or NAPA. Durability for this here in Kentucky is 2 months max.

Optimum spray wax is more like a liquid wax in a spray form. It is very easy to use but can sometimes be streaky. I would not suggest using it as a drying aid. Durability for this can last up to 3 months during the summer time if you wash your car weekly.

Lucas Oil Spray Wax is very nice too. It smells amazing and is very easy to use. It can be used exactly like the Meguiars. I have gotten 2 months of durability with this as a standalone.

If you aren't stuck on just spray waxes, Optimum Optiseal and Ultima Paint Guard Plus are great wipe on walk away sealants. This means that you just wipe them on with an applicator than they will flash away. They both last a lot longer than a spray wax. I have got about 3-5 months of durability with one layer of each of these. I have not used the new version of Ultima though and it claims a longer durability. It can also be layered twice for a longer durability.

A great combination is to use one of the wipe on sealants then use duragloss aquawax after each wash. I have got about 6-7 months of protection this way.

Another option would be to coat your car using a one of the new coatings. They are basically sealants on steroids and if treated properly can last up to two years. For someone that doesn't like to or doesn't have the time to touch your car, this is a great option. I have had Optimum's Coating on my car for the last two years and it is still very much there on the top half, the bottom usually fails a lot quicker. Detail Pro and Pinnacle Black Label Coatings are very easy to use. The same as the wipe on sealants. One that I am getting ready to test is C.A.R. products bulletproof coating. I have read nothing but good things. I plan to apply it to my dads Rav4. It is very cheap and apparently has a durability of 2 years. They also sell a topper which is just a sealant in spray form.

There are spray sealants on the market such as CarPro Reload. I have no experience with Reload, but it is applied the same as a spray wax. From some well respected friends of mine I have heard that durability is in the 4 month range.

Your final option would be to use something like CarPro Hydro2 or C.A.R. Products Speed Seal. The application for these products is by far the easiest. You might think these are expensive but its because they are dilutable and you use such little product. You mix the concentration in a spray bottle, wash your car, spray the car for a final rinse, spray the car down using the product in the spray bottle, thoroughly flush the product off your car with another rinse, dry your car. The claimed durability on these products is roughly 3-4 months. They are so easy to use though that I find myself reapplying them after 2 months.

I will say that these durabilities will vary, but this is on my car which is a daily driver. The car is garaged at night and drove around 30-50 miles a day. There are too many factors to give you a complete estimate on this, but I figured I would tell you what I have got out of them so you could compare them.

Last edited by Iomcamaro; 03-20-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote