Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-14-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
brettstoner

Drives: 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV L77
Torque Converter for future LSA

Need help deciding on a torque converter. Right now I am N/A cammed but in about 5 years I am going LSA. I am struggling with deciding do I stall for my current cam, sell in a few years, and get the right stall for LSA? Or do I get the right stall for LSA and live with it until I go LSA (with diff cam and probably pull block to go through it)?

My current mods are (14 Caprice PPV) BTR LS3 Stage 2 N/A Cam, head work, Rotofab intake, 2" ARH headers, 3" exhaust, 3.45 rear.

Both Yank and Circle D recommended around a 258mm, single disc, 3200-3400 stall for my setup. But is this too much for LSA? If I go LSA will I need a lower stall and triple disc to handle the hp? Any suggestions or feedback?
Old 03-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #2
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
Call Circle D Specialties and ask them.

https://www.circledspecialties.com/
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
brettstoner

So I did talk to Circle D and he suggested I go with a 258mm, triple disc, 3200-3400. He said it would be good now and in the future. But from my research I have heard that is too much stall for LSA (am I wrong?). Especially if I want to get any sort of traction with D/R on the street.
https://www.circledspecialties.com/6...o-series-258mm
Old 03-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Definitely not too much stall - if that's too much stall, you don't have enough tire on the car, or your on a marginal surface and would likely need to be working on power management regardless of what the stall is. When we spec out LSA combo's with good sized cams, we will typically target 3600rpm as a good stall speed. Obviously it will depend on the combo and what the operator wants from it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #5
brettstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Definitely not too much stall - if that's too much stall, you don't have enough tire on the car, or your on a marginal surface and would likely need to be working on power management regardless of what the stall is. When we spec out LSA combo's with good sized cams, we will typically target 3600rpm as a good stall speed. Obviously it will depend on the combo and what the operator wants from it.
This is fantastic advice and really on point. I absolutely don't have enough tire right now. It's on my to do list for this summer after torque converter. I also haven't addressed tightening up the rear end for less play in subframe, suspension, etc. That is summer 2023 project.

I also talked to Dan at Circle D some more who reassured me it would work out.