Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
CAM Pin broke/pushed into CAM core GPI VVT

This is the latest issue on my VVT CAM install on my L99. Apparently I did not get the CAM dowel pin aligned properly with the CAM phaser/gear this damaged the dowel pin causing the cam to spin freely when I try to remove it. Has anyone ran into this issue before? I'm considering putting a couple 1/4 steel rods throught the hole just above the cam under the timing chain cover(picture attached)to hold the CAM still so I can get it off. I don't like the idea but not sure what else I can do...

Hopefully someone has ran into this before....

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
No, no issues here with a 2015 install.
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
put the pushrods and rocker arms on and snug them down. That will help hold the cam in place. THen use an impact gun to remove the cam gear/phaser bolt.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
put the pushrods and rocker arms on and snug them down. That will help hold the cam in place. THen use an impact gun to remove the cam gear/phaser bolt.
That's what GPI recommended. I ended up taking rockers off spinning it a few times to get the lifters in the tray. Used a 18V not a air gun. Set it to lowest setting am made my way up to high pressing the trigger for about 1 second after about 8 times it spun loose. Now I just have to put the dowel rods in the oil channels to hold the lifters in, pull the cam reset the dowel pin and make sure I don't miss the hole in the cam phaser/gear.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
No, no issues here with a 2015 install.
So tell me how did you go about verifying the down pin was inserted properly in the cam phaser/gear because you can't see it. Or did you go with a 3bolt?

Old 04-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post
That's what GPI recommended. I ended up taking rockers off spinning it a few times to get the lifters in the tray. Used a 18V not a air gun. Set it to lowest setting am made my way up to high pressing the trigger for about 1 second after about 8 times it spun loose. Now I just have to put the dowel rods in the oil channels to hold the lifters in, pull the cam reset the dowel pin and make sure I don't miss the hole in the cam phaser/gear.
Nice save man. Glad you seem to be on the road to recovery. I can't even begin to imagine the stress this is causing you. You have a bunch of people rooting for you and a successful first start.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Nice save man. Glad you seem to be on the road to recovery. I can't even begin to imagine the stress this is causing you. You have a bunch of people rooting for you and a successful first start.
Thanks brother I need all the I can get. By the end of this I'm going to have the best how NOT to install a CAM video on the internet.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:44 AM   #8
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
for sure. Makes me glad I paid a good shop to do mine. lol. And I would definitely keep the vvt.
DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:35 AM   #9
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post
Thanks brother I need all the I can get. By the end of this I'm going to have the best how NOT to install a CAM video on the internet.

Lol. Keep at it though. The results are very much worth it
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Rmkuper

So my buddy wants to tack weld the cam dowel pin to the phaser gear. What are your thoughts on this? Said it will insure alignment and help the pin stability. What are the thoughts on this? I feel like it will be tough to get the timing chain back on.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
If that was what is needed it’d come from factory like that.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #12
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
How'd you figure out it was the dowel pin? If you tack weld the gear to the cam, the gear has to be perfectly perpendicular to the cam at all angles. Or else the gear could have a slight wobble that could cause engine damage when spinning at max RPM. I don't think it's a good idea to tack weld. You don't want to chance it.
Be careful when doing the dowel rod trick. I had 2 wood dowels all the way in on my L99 cam swap and 2 lifters passed the dowels and started to fall. Luckily I saved it, but remember that the dowels are not fool proof. I was using 5/16" round wood dowels.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #13
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Haven't heard from you in a while how's everything going?
DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
How'd you figure out it was the dowel pin? If you tack weld the gear to the cam, the gear has to be perfectly perpendicular to the cam at all angles. Or else the gear could have a slight wobble that could cause engine damage when spinning at max RPM. I don't think it's a good idea to tack weld. You don't want to chance it.

Be careful when doing the dowel rod trick. I had 2 wood dowels all the way in on my L99 cam swap and 2 lifters passed the dowels and started to fall. Luckily I saved it, but remember that the dowels are not fool proof. I was using 5/16" round wood dowels.
He was talking about tacking the pin to the gear then torqueing it down into the cam. Reguardless we did not do that. It's at the machine shop now geting the pin removed and a new one installed. Hope to have it back today.

Troubleshooting I took the cam phaser out. You can see (picture) where it either popped out of the hole on the gear or I never had it lined up correctly.