Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
While I can understand this is frustrating as a customer..I know running a shop..last thing you really want to deal with is a customer asking you to install a bunch of lower quality stuff they did not buy from you in the first place. When something goes wrong, you get stuck in the middle and get a bunch of hassle. If there is an issue, the companies can be hard to get ahold of..and you are stuck waiting with a car torn apart, and lift blocked, or charging the customer to reinstall the stock stuff till they get it fixed. Not a fun place.

The reason he mentioned and suggested those brands is because he is familiar with them, and knows and issue is rare. Even if one pops up, he can call them and get it resolved. I get that everyone here is down for awesome deals all the time..however often, there is more to it than price.
I certainly do understand all of that and I am realistic person so I know where he is coming from. I know that sometimes there are issues and it will cost more to resolve. But, I am the customer and if I want X then it is his job to give me X. Now if he has experience with a certain brand and knows they are crap and don't go in right he should tell me, but present it as this will probably cost more and here is why. But, lets be realistic here...how bad could the XS Power system be? Put it in and if it rubs pull it out and dimple it and re-install. I would certainly give the green light ahead of time on that action.

I know you get what you pay for and I try to always buy American and as quality as I can afford. But, sometimes for certain products you pay more for the name then you do for quality. And I am also on a budget LOL!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #30
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
I paid $250 for a FULL exhaust install, from headers to tips... that included aligning the tips, etc.... and the guy who did my exhaust said it was the 1st 2010 Camaro he'd put headers on but that this car was the EASIEST header job he'd ever did... in fact he said he had to have someone get under the car to keep them from falling to the ground while he tightened them down...

he did my entire exhaust from header to tip in about 4 hours and he said a good hour of that was spent aligning the tips with the rear fascia, lol

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #31
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
I think this is really it. Because he asked if I had Ebay, OBX or cheapo headers and if I did he wont do the install. I mentioned the XS-Power and he basiclly turned his nose up at it and said Kooks, ARH, SW, or nothing. Later he said I won't tell you no, but be prepared for extra time if needed.

He probably doesn't want to do the work.
i dont blame him to be honest. think about it. not saying the OBX or other cheaper headers dont work. but if you supplied cheaper things and something goes wrong. it makes a mess. you blame shop, he blames you.
edit: pretty much what maryland said.

my father has been telling this to me for years.
the best thing is when the shop supplies everything and installs and tunes. that way its all on them to make it work.

just my thoughts.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #32
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well it took me ALL day to install my LTs. It probably would've went faster, but it was my first time doing this, it was 100 degrees, it was on ramps and I took lots of breaks. I'd expect a pro mechanic to be able to do it in a fraction of the time.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #33
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
10 hours if he is taking a smoke break every five minutes or never did it before. Should take 3 - 4 hours.

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
When I worked at a custom exhaust shop we installed headers all the time, we didnt care the brand as long as they were cataloged as the ones for the vehicle in question. We had a full shop at our disposal to handle pretty much anything that came up during the install. Most issues we had(when we did run into something) was with the vehicle more so than the parts.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
I know you get what you pay for and I try to always buy American and as quality as I can afford. But, sometimes for certain products you pay more for the name then you do for quality. And I am also on a budget LOL!
JRT, I completely agree with your reasoning here!!! I'm the same way. I would always prefer to buy American made products 100% of the time, but sometimes the budget for that just isn't feasible, especially when the American made products are 2-3 times as much. May I make a header suggestion??? Check out Texas Speed 1-7/8" T-304 Polished Headers. They are $469 with off-road connection pipes, $750 with HF Cats and O2 extensions, and come with new GM Gaskets. Supposedly, within the next month or so, they are supposed to have 2" primaries for the same price!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #36
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Find another shop. A good shop could install a blower in less time.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #37
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
I did full exhaust on mine by myself on a lift and in no big hurry took me 5 hrs. Including a trip to the dealership for a new O2 sensor since one of mine was hauled into the stock exhaust.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #38
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItaliaSS View Post
you must be paying for breakfast , lunch and dinner breaks. lol
ha ha Good one!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #39
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Took me and my brother under 4 hours taking our time with a floor jack. If I did it again with a houst I could do it in about 2 with some help and the right tools. That's a load of BS. Go somewhere else.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
3 hours....
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #41
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I just called Performance Autosport and spoke to Jimmy. I asked him to clarify if the 10 hours was for the exhaust install or if that included the Pedders also. He said it was just for the exhaust LOL.

I told him that everyone is telling me it is a 2-4 hour job and even other speed shops like Maryland Speed are saying that. He said "Ya and they sell parts, they don't actually do any work. If anyone tells you they can put headers on a Camaro in 3 hours the are full of shit and you will see what kind of job you get. Look I don't need the work, I have 6 months booked up and 34 cars waiting to be worked on." So I told him your attitude sucks I will take my business elsewhere! I'm not a high roller by any means, but he just lost a $1,200 job and a new customer who likes to blow money LOL!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #42
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
He told you the answer to the price right there. He gave you an "I don't want to do it" price. If he is truly booked up 6 months then he doesn't care about a three hour exhaust install.

Only problem is, with that attitude, he will be begging for work in 7 months.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote