Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #85
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
That's a great offer. And I don't want to come across as snotty to him. Like I said..we are not far from him, and a Header install would likely on be $250-$300 with us depending on what he got. I just don't want to get stuck installing a product we don't sell or support.
Oh, crap. lol

I didn't even think that. I just like to do this kind of stuff. And if he lived down here he'd HAVE to come to me. I couldn't find anywhere to do my sway bars and springs a long time ago. Kinda glad I didn't. Since then I've done it all from suspension to my blower. lol
Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #86
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
And again here is the stuff that amazes me with people. You want a $900 exhaust...because I am guessing that is all you want to spend. So...you want to buy these things, but they don't answer the phone, or talk to someone to place an order. Matter of fact, you can't even confirm that they are being made. Now imagine how hard it would be to get support...which may be needed since it has been posted here that these need to be beat on to fit.

Yet despite all of that, if you somehow got any inkling that your order would be filled, you would gladly put all your credit card info in their order form because they are "For $900 it looks good and sounds amazing".

I never understood how someone has no issue dropping over a $1000 on something like a Borla, Corsa exhaust, or Pedders coilovers, yet when it comes time to get headers...it becomes all about pinching penneys.

I always like to remind people...you don't have to mod your car...it's a discretionary spending. It's better to not spend it at all than do questionable things. I understand wanting to get value...and that is fine. However I have trouble finding the value in spending $900 on something you have to beat on to fit, and can't confirm is even being made..and shops don't want to install. Sometimes there is a reason things are so cheap. At what point does the hassle become not worth the savings.

Bud, you make complete sense, but nobody said we were a logical group!

To clear up a few things...I am not rich so to me $900 is a shit load of money. I have a good job making decent money, but I am single and live alone so I have a mortgage, bills, car payment, motorcycle payment, toys, etc… so I have to make my money work for me and get the best deals I can. Some things I will skimp on and some I will not, some I will buy the best and some I will buy cheap, but I will NEVER shop at Wal-Mart LOL!.

If I am going to drop that much coin I want a little something in return. In this case I don't expect to talk to someone on the phone. All I care about is my email is replied to with my questions answered:
• Are you still making this kit?
• Did you redesign to resolve fitment issues
• Are cats offered as an option
• What is the lead time from order
I know CS is going to be shit, but you know what…they are pipes, how bad can they be? If there is an issue I can work through it. On the other side of the coin I want some Forgestar CF10 wheels. I am willing to pay for those because I feel they “add” more to the car. They are visible so the fit and fish and quality need to be better. Do I need Forgeline or iForged quality? Hell no I would never pay $3,500 for wheels. My brother paid $3500 for a set BSD carbon fiber wheels for his Ducati 1098 and I wanted to slap him LOL!

Anyway to stop my incoherent rant, something it is OK to skimp on and others it is not. I will not pay $1,400 – 2,000 for headers nor will I pay $1,100 for a Corsa cat back. They make a great product, but for what you get it is by far not worth that much money. I had Corsa axle-backs on my Mustang and I paid $575 for them new, now they are over $700…no way!

I guess I am just cheap!

Thanks a bunch for the discussion!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #87
JRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
JRT, if you lived here in Mobile I'd throw that stuff in for you myself.

I"m putting front Pedders Supercars in this weekend.

I've got supercars in rear and Peddes sways bushings etc.............. But I have regular XAs in front. hahaha

Talk about piecing a car together. lol
Dude that is an awesome offer, good to see the fellow rodders looking out for each other!

Supercars in the rear and XAs up front? It's a Frankenstein! You are braver then I am LOL!

Thanks again for the offer!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #88
JRT

Quote:
That's a great offer. And I don't want to come across as snotty to him. Like I said..we are not far from him, and a Header install would likely on be $250-$300 with us depending on what he got. I just don't want to get stuck installing a product we don't sell or support.

You are not coming across as snotty. I get what you are saying and I can appreciate your point of view and in some ways I agree, but I also disagree. LOL ya I know I make no sense!

Anyway I might hold off on the exhaust for just a bit and figure out what it is that I want to do. Add a few more miles on the car before I wreck my warranty LOL! My big push for the exhaust right now is because I want to tune out that bullshit AFM and make the car run like it should. I figured if I am going to do a tune I might as well do the exhaust also.

I will probably focus on wheels and getting the Pedders installed. By that time I should know what I to do for the exhaust.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #89
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
You are not coming across as snotty. I get what you are saying and I can appreciate your point of view and in some ways I agree, but I also disagree. LOL ya I know I make no sense!

Anyway I might hold off on the exhaust for just a bit and figure out what it is that I want to do. Add a few more miles on the car before I wreck my warranty LOL! My big push for the exhaust right now is because I want to tune out that bullshit AFM and make the car run like it should. I figured if I am going to do a tune I might as well do the exhaust also.

I will probably focus on wheels and getting the Pedders installed. By that time I should know what I to do for the exhaust.
Honestly, out of what you have listed, headers and tune (even without catback), would make the car the most enjoyable. Coilovers are nice, but headers change the whole car.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #90
JRT

Oh I know if I get headers and a tune it will transform the car no doubt. And I will do it, but I just want to step back for a second and think about it. I have been kind of flaky about doing it because I want the car different, but I want to keep my warranty. I know I can't have it both ways so I just need to decide what exhaust I want now. The car has 4,400 miles on it so I figured if i shake it down for a tad bit more it will just give me ease of mind. Again, that doesn't mean I wont wake up tomorrow and go screw it's on! I am kind of loony like that LOL!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #91
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
I did my full system exhaust alone in under 2 hrs and it took me and a buddy about 4hrs to do the Headers. It's not difficult. I wouldn't pay $900 for bolt ons. You can pocket that money for something else.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #92
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
I agree with others that said he basically just gave you the "I don't want to do it" price. If you did do it, well that's a huge profit on his part...and if you got offended by the price and walked away well then he got what he wanted without actually saying "no GTFO of here".

I had my headers done on the GTO in under 3 hours...and anyone that's ever done headers on a GTO knows what a huge pain in the butt they can be. If someone can do it under 3 hours on this car, a retarded 1 handed monkey can do headers on a Camaro in 3 hours.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #93
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Had my headers and high flow cats installed today at my dealership. Already had a catback on. Charged me $320.00 They did a great job.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #94
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Dude that is an awesome offer, good to see the fellow rodders looking out for each other!

Supercars in the rear and XAs up front? It's a Frankenstein! You are braver then I am LOL!

Thanks again for the offer!
Just got my front Supercars today. Will install tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #95
JRT

^^^ NICE!
Why the two setups anyway?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #96
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
10 hours for just the exhaust? Does that include doing the job right with dyno tuning? Or just the exhaust.

If just the exhaust, that is criminal theft. The exhaust on these cars is rediculously easy to work on, huge engine bay.

With a lift and air tools, and experience tech can easily do it in 2 hrs or so. One that is slower than smoke off a rope... 3 or 4 hours. 10 hours? What are they going to be doing for 10 hours? Hand polishing every pipe, nut and bolt.

I've done several on the floor with just jackstands. I think they took me around 4/5ish hours. Give me a hoist, and headers on these cars would be stupid easy.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #97
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
figured if i shake it down for a tad bit more it will just give me ease of mind. Again, that doesn't mean I wont wake up tomorrow and go screw it's on! I am kind of loony like that LOL!
haha i am the same way.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #98
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
^^^ NICE!
Why the two setups anyway?
I wanted to set it up to drag race with a flat alignment with bound AND rebound adjustments. So I upgraded the XAs in the rear to SuperCars. Well, I didn't do much racing.

So now I"m just getting it all ready for anything.