Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Subscribed

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
You brought them up

No RSV07 did.

Their customers, me included, speak for them all the time. When a consumer says something like you did and a company actually responds in a polite manner to try and answer questions you may have and understand your concerns with their product, I would call that good customer service. They knew you already had another product, they knew you weren't looking to buy their CAI, and they still took the time to try and understand your concerns and provide a response, how many companies do that these days.

Their response was hardly friendly, more demeaning that I did not like their product. These guys always get offended just because I dont agree with their data or don't like the application they have to offer.

Get a clue Mr. 25 posts, this company was brought here by enthusiasts who wanted them to make a CAI for this vehicle when no one was. They are also HUGE enthusiasts' and have 5th Gens themselves. They sponsor here and help pay for the bandwidth so this forum can be as great at it is. They probably have more blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle platform and forum then you ever will. Snake oil?? Have you ever even looked at all the independent testing done on their products?

I'm Mr. 26 posts now. I totally understand that they fund this forum and that is why they have so much control here on what people buy. I have looked into the independent testing on this product and although I agree that the CAI design flows very well in a control environment. I disagree with the application on the street. I myself am not going to drive around during a florida summer with windshield sunvisor material in airbox thinking its making it cooler.

http://solarcooking.org/plans/ - MAJOR FAIL, that's like posting up a link for a rubber ducky and saying, well our cars have rubber on them, so they must be the same product and similar for functionality because they have a common material used.

No, it's not like saying that at all. We are not only talking about common material used we are talking about DESIGN as well. Both are boxes with clear windows lined with the same reflective material. One is called a solar oven, the other is designed to keep air cool?!

It is a sweet mod, thousands of us feel that way.

Good for you.
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
No RSV07 did.

No you did when you said "I am not convinced by the CAI rhetoric." That is what you said in response to a comment that specifically made mention of CAI Inc. Everyone on this page who has commented on it agrees that you called them out and were directly referring to them.

Their response was hardly friendly, more demeaning that I did not like their product. These guys always get offended just because I dont agree with their data or don't like the application they have to offer.

I don't think they are too offended by you, they probably just don't want tool bags like you saying things that make noobs question their product when it is clear you don't really know what you are talking about and was trying to get something started with your little link that you posted. Not to mention they ended with "If you have any specific questions or concerns I would be happy to try and help. Thanks and take care." not exactly demeaning.

I'm Mr. 26 posts now. I totally understand that they fund this forum and that is why they have so much control here on what people buy. I have looked into the independent testing on this product and although I agree that the CAI design flows very well in a control environment. I disagree with the application on the street. I myself am not going to drive around during a florida summer with windshield sunvisor material in airbox thinking its making it cooler.

Think about it man, Look at the IAT data. If anything they would do better when driving and having cool air flowing in and around the vehicles engine bay. The tests were done on a dyno with the car sitting, which means it should have had even more heat soak. With the car in motion it would do even better, that's just common sense.

No, it's not like saying that at all. We are not only talking about common material used we are talking about DESIGN as well. Both are boxes with clear windows lined with the same reflective material. One is called a solar oven, the other is designed to keep air cool?!

Again, MAJOR Do you think at all before you type or come up with this stuff? The product you are referencing sits in the sun and has the sun shine right in it to use the reflective properties to heat it up. The CAI is under a closed hood, the sunlight is not shining into it. The fact that the material is reflective isn't worth much because there is no light to reflect. They are not trying to reduce heat from the sun, they are using it as an R value to reduce heat soak from the engine bay air that is hotter then the intake air. The outer finish being reflective has nothing to do with anything in terms of the CAI keeping the air cool. its used as an insulation barrier to reduce heat soak from the engine bay through the airbox. Do you really not understand the fact that the sun is not shining into the CAI when you are driving?

Good for you.

We can agree on that

chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Brettzel

Drives: #null
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WhiteLS View Post
You brought them up

No RSV07 did.

Their customers, me included, speak for them all the time. When a consumer says something like you did and a company actually responds in a polite manner to try and answer questions you may have and understand your concerns with their product, I would call that good customer service. They knew you already had another product, they knew you weren't looking to buy their CAI, and they still took the time to try and understand your concerns and provide a response, how many companies do that these days.

Get a clue Mr. 25 posts, this company was brought here by enthusiasts who wanted them to make a CAI for this vehicle when no one was. They are also HUGE enthusiasts' and have 5th Gens themselves. They sponsor here and help pay for the bandwidth so this forum can be as great at it is. They probably have more blood, sweat and tears into this vehicle platform and forum then you ever will. Snake oil?? Have you ever even looked at all the independent testing done on their products?

http://solarcooking.org/plans/ - MAJOR FAIL, that's like posting up a link for a rubber ducky and saying, well our cars have rubber on them, so they must be the same product and similar for functionality because they have a common material used.

It is a sweet mod, thousands of us feel that way.

Good for you.
Just remember this. The first step to fixing your problem, is admitting you have one. Please admit that you are wrong, in every conceivable way, so that we can get you the help that you need. And just remember, two things with similar design, and shape, can still be used differently. A bottled container may contain motor oil, or iced tea, a tube of metal could be used for an intake, or an exhaust system, and so on.
Brettzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I think this thread has run its course.. it will only get worse from here.... IBTL

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Brettzel

Drives: #null
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
I think this thread has run its course.. it will only get worse from here.... IBTL

Every other thread has people saying "IBTL". wtf. Maybe that is a hint that the moderation is too strict sometimes?
Brettzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzel View Post
Every other thread has people saying "IBTL". wtf. Maybe that is a hint that the moderation is too strict sometimes?
Not at all... usually threads that have nothing but arguments would get locked or the mods may delete all posts not pertaining to the OP's question...

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post

I agree.

With every forum I have ever been on, and every thread that turns into this type of back and forth, I don't think I have ever ONCE seen the person who clearly is in the wrong own up to it and admit it. I have nothing else to say to the guy, if he does not see and understand it by now with all the comments from myself and others then I don't think there's any chance that he will. No one is telling the guy he needs to like or buy a certain CAI, but he clearly does not understand the design differences concerning what he's trying to compare it to, and pretty much has nothing intelligent to say. Or maybe he just won't admit it, it obviously takes a huge pair of you know what to admit you are wrong on an internet forum

Rant over, I'm done with this thread, and I think I'll go out an enjoy my Camaro with the awesome CAI Inc. intake on it!
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
vong

Drives: Hazard Yellow Holden VE SV6
Hey guys,

Although it's not a Camaro, my Commodore with the LFX has got a VCM otr.
vong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Having had an OTR intake (Vararam) and 2 underhood intakes (a K&N and a Cai Inc), I have to say the OP has a point in wishing for an LFX OTR option. They are a lot of fun to drive with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vong View Post
Hey guys,

Although it's not a Camaro, my Commodore with the LFX has got a VCM otr.
Nice shot!
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
Oh no someone on the Internet is bravely telling me what they think about me!
Awesome looking OTR intake! Exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for!
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WhiteLS View Post
Oh no someone on the Internet is bravely telling me what they think about me!
Awesome looking OTR intake! Exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for!
I don't think that anybody (at all) in this thread was saying that an OTR intake for the LFX was a bad idea. In fact, many have been waiting for Vararam to come out with a version for the LFX. Where people took offense is when you started knocking a very popular, proven intake system. Members don't just buy it because CAI INC says so. They buy it because it works. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as to the engineering of their intake, but I, for one, happen to place more confidence in CAI's R&D.

tl;dr: If you don't like it, don't buy it. But there's no need to bitch or start a fight about it.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
I don't know. This thread definately went to hell mid-way through but in the beginning, all the op said was that he was interested in an OTR system since he wasn't convinced by "cai's rethoric" (design, parts or w/e that means).

I wasn't going to elaborate but to be fair (and this is my experience so don't bash me if you don't agree), I was greatly disappointed with the Cai Intake. So many people praise it so highly that it's only fair to share the opposite (I bought it based on the reviews here and now I wonder if many had something to compare it to besides stock or just followed word-of-mouth). The intake looked and fit great but the car felt sluggish compared to my k&n (which most here hate). The box seemed too airtight forcing me to hit the gas harder to get the car going. Idk what it was, it could have been something else but I took it off after several weeks and the car went back to normal.

An aftermarket scoop could have likely solved the issue but I just didn't want to cut away with the dremel to make it work. Comparatively, pulling air from the front grille (OTR) or leaving gaps on the bottom of the box (k&n, warm air or not) seem to help with overall airflow. Regardless of others opinions, professional or not, hardcore fans or sellers, I know how my car feels best and it didn't do it for me.

Conversely, I'm not posting to push people to other makes. IME, Vararam's fit and finish is not that great and neither is k&ns (all intakes have pros and cons). I just want to point out that more options are great and people SHOULD be able to openly praise and criticize products alike, not just a select few.

End of my night essay.
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS785 View Post
I don't know. This thread definately went to hell mid-way through but in the beginning, all the op said was that he was interested in an OTR system since he wasn't convinced by "cai's rethoric" (design, parts or w/e that means).

I wasn't going to elaborate but to be fair (and this is my experience so don't bash me if you don't agree), I was greatly disappointed with the Cai Intake. So many people praise it so highly that it's only fair to share the opposite (I bought it based on the reviews here and now I wonder if many had something to compare it to besides stock or just followed word-of-mouth). The intake looked and fit great but the car felt sluggish compared to my k&n (which most here hate). The box seemed too airtight forcing me to hit the gas harder to get the car going. Idk what it was, it could have been something else but I took it off after several weeks and the car went back to normal.

An aftermarket scoop could have likely solved the issue but I just didn't want to cut away with the dremel to make it work. Comparatively, pulling air from the front grille (OTR) or leaving gaps on the bottom of the box (k&n, warm air or not) seem to help with overall airflow. Regardless of others opinions, professional or not, hardcore fans or sellers, I know how my car feels best and it didn't do it for me.

Conversely, I'm not posting to push people to other makes. IME, Vararam's fit and finish is not that great and neither is k&ns (all intakes have pros and cons). I just want to point out that more options are great and people SHOULD be able to openly praise and criticize products alike, not just a select few.

End of my night essay.
Thank you for the feedback.

Did you disconnect the negative on the battery while you did the install of our CAI? The reason I ask is that your car would have had all the fuel trims adjusted to the other cai, and when you installed ours there would have been a new learning curve to adjust to for the computer. So the small increase in HP from one to another would have been noticed over a course of a few days or what not. Basically even though the difference in HP gains would have been minimal, you never got to feel the full difference at once, and therefore didn't get the full effect of the switch.

Going from one intake to another, most will not to notice a world of difference making the switch. You are literally talking about a change of 1-3 hp, something that you are most likely not going to notice from the butt dyno.

Something else I would like to point out is that both CAI's should have been sealed, and therefore pulling air from the same place. So the volume of air you engine was pulling should have been the same. I am fairly confident the "difference" that you were unable to notice from the switch was not disconnecting the battery during install, only because I have had this exact conversation before and that was the outcome.

Hopefully that information sheds a little light on what may have been the culprit in you not noticing the performance increase you were hoping for after making the switch. But like I said, going from stock to CAI a difference can be noticed pretty easily, going from one CAI to another the gains may be to minimal for you to notice from behind the wheel.

Thank you for giving our CAI a shot.

Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote