Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #71
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Drives: White 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by striped_2010_ss View Post
While your typical DSM was usually a example of how to do things wrong, what i was more referring to is the general idea of how the MAF does it's job. With the MAF being roughly 6" downstream of the blow off valve in this case, so each time the BOV opens you are discharging air pre MAF (which is good) but close enough that it would be interesting to see if the MAF has a lump to it when that happens.

Then the transition of the pipe from whatever the initial diameter is (2.5"?) to the diameter of the tube the MAF is located in (3.0"?) so in that aspect you have a piping that increases in diameter which slows the velocity of the airflow due to the expansion of the availible space (same idea as a rivers current speeding up at bottle necks and slowing down when it widens again). That one would be harder to see in a datalog and would be more a CFD analysis type deal.

In the end it's all water under the bridge, but the tech geek side of this is what makes it all so interesting. What the factory computers in cars can achieve now days is remarkable, hence why i'd like to see a scan log. To me its as interesting as knowing how/why airplane wings can flex as much as they can or how to make your own battery. Just good old fashioned geeking out!
What you are talking about is Bernoulli’s Principal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle (a basic concept in our Aviation Warfare qualification) Some think it only applies to a liquid such as hydraulic fluid, but it also applies to air.
Using my limited knowledge on the application of forced induction and reasonable man theory it would seem to me that, as long as the charge tube does not change diameter from the location of the MAF (where the data is being collected) to where it enters into the intake there shouldn’t be anything abnormal going on for the computer to compensate for. Additionally, the sensor should not be positioned close to any change in diameter to allow for the transition and stable readings.
To answer your question about why an aircraft wing flexes so much is due to the inherent flexibility of the composite material used in its construction combined with the design. (That’s why those aircraft designers get paid so much!)
However, the theory of flight relies on Bernoulli’s principal. As the air passes over the wing, there is more area for the air to pass, causing the air to move faster with less pressure thus creating a low pressure area over the top of the wing. Under the wing, there is less area for the air to pass, conversely moving slower (than the air passing over the top) and creating a high pressure. As volume increases so does the effect where eventually an event horizon will be reached and voila, we have enough lift for flight. Anyway, I'd better stop talking about stuff not related to the topic. You guys keep up the dialog, love'n it.

Craig
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq

Last edited by big-geek!; 04-20-2012 at 11:30 AM.
big-geek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #72
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Another data point

So as I mentioned before, I'll be driving to Orlando from Pensacola on Monday. Forgive me for being cynical, over cautious, anal retentive... whatever. Fact is I DO NOT want to get stranded half way in between here and Orlando with a car that’s broken. SO, what do I do to gain a little piece of mind? I take the beast on the road to see how it acts on the open highway. I figured a 150 or so mile trip to Montgomery Alabama from Pensacola should give me enough of an idea about how the motor was going to act during a long drive.
I'm happy to report that the car operated almost as if it bone stock. There were times when I had forgotten that there was a turbo kit installed. It drove exactly like it did before the kit was installed. Well, I could hear the slight rumble of a modified engine that reassured me that the power was still waiting under the hood. Nevertheless, the drive was smooth and uneventful. Of course I called Chris and shared my relief.
On another note, I was a little worried about gas mileage. Larger fuel injectors and fuel pump caused me to believe that my beast would be drinking more than usual. Once again I'm happy to report that the gas mileage was also as close to stock as my memory serves. And here is how I (roughly) calculated my fuel consumption above what the cars computer told me. (I took a cell phone snap shot since the road was pretty much empty of other cars)
As it turns out, I pulled into a shell gas station just as the odometer ticked to 36,006 miles. The fuel gauge was as exact on half a tank as my calibrated eye could tell. So, I put in exactly 15 dollars of gas. This yielded me 3.8gal of good ol 93 octane. (which is what the other half a tank was) When I got in the car, I reset the cars fuel consumption estimator to zero and made for the highway. I set cruise control to 77mph and drove for roughly 30-40 minutes to let the system get a good average. To my surprise it was reading 25.1mpg (isn’t it listed as 26mpg on the sticker?) Still I was skeptical. I remembered how much gas I purchased, which was almost 4 gallons. Noticing the fuel gauge was now back to damn near exactly half a tank, I checked the odometer 36, 108. (I took a photo with my phone, took me nearly 10 miles to get one that wasnt blurry) Of course my eyeball wasn’t calibrated at the department of weights and measures but by my 3rd grade math was on point, the numbers are pretty damn close. 25.1x3.8=95.3 So needless to say I'm very happy with the gas mileage on the highway. But how about around town you ask?
Sorry to say I didn’t do any point to point testing on the city/mpg but I can tell you that before I reset the meter it was reading 15.8mpg. Prior to installing the HPS turbo kit, it hovered around 17.2ish but in defense of the kit, I have been stomping on it pretty regular since I got it back. This would certainly account for the decrease of city mpg. Turbocharged, supercharged or otherwise you're going to see a reduction there if you've got your foot in the gas.
In summary, it appears that under normal driving the gas mileage of the car is unaffected by the larger injectors, ZL1 fuel pump and/or turbo and it is still very well behaved on long drives.
Name:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  51.0 KB
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq

Last edited by big-geek!; 04-21-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Grammar/Spellcheck Accurate Numbers
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #73
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
That is awesome!

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #74
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Long Drive Test

So I intended on driving this car from Pensacola to Orlando but as it turns out the car was just flat out putting pushing too much power into the stock clutch for me to be comfortable driving it. So I left the car with Chris at HPS and had him install my new clutch while I was in Orlando. BUT, fear not, as soon as I returned from Orlando I went straight to Atlanta and picked it up. The car performed flawlessly all the way from Atlanta to Pensacola. Engine was smooth as silk.
I took a little video of the gas mileage the car was getting after 2.5 hours of driving (I said 3 hours in the video, but I later looked at the clock and realized it was actually 2.5 hours not 3) I filled up on gas just outside of Atlanta proper and just before getting on the interstate heading south and reset the average MPG on the cars computer. I flipped around the different settings as well. Sorry for the video shaking a bit but that was rough patches in the road. When I arrived home in Pensacola the average gas mileage dropped slightly to 24.3mpg but this was due to driving down the 29 and dealing with some stop and go driving.

This is the second monitored long drive I've taken since the turbo was installed. The car performed so flawless I didn’t bother watching over things very closely otherwise.
First was for about 140mi to Montgomery, AL. The second was for 320mi from Atlanta to Pensacola.
So although I didn’t drive this car south to Orlando, I did take it North to Atlanta.

Craig
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #75
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

My next post about this kit will be my experience driving it around town. If there is any statistic specifically that you'd be interested in just let me know and I'll put a watch on it.

Craig
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #76
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Interesting, what clutch set up did you go with?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #77
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymn View Post
Interesting, what clutch set up did you go with?

We installed the RPS Street Slayer twin disc. clutch slippage is a thing of the past!

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #78
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
We installed the RPS Street Slayer twin disc. clutch slippage is a thing of the past!

Chris
I will say that after having driven with this new clutch installed... although the peddle was slightly stiffer than stock, it took almost no time at all to become accustomed to the new feel and now it feels as if the clutch had never been changed. I can report of no additional noise from the twin disk set up either.

Craig
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #79
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Another update

I have purchased my first 2 gauges (looking for a pillar pod, I have found a few 2 gauge pods but would LOVE a 3 gauge one)The gauges I've decided on were the ProSport EVO series boost and A/F gauges. You can see them here if you'd like. http://prosportgauges.com/evo-series-red-and-blue.aspx

Shipment should arrive in my hands by next Tuesday.Any suggestions on a pillar, please feel free to share info.

Craig