Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
collinsRS
Active Duty U.S. Navy

Drives: 2012 Malibu LT, 2012 Camaro 1LT/RS
Black Chrome Wheels - Cleaning?

What do you use to clean your Black Chrome/Chrome wheels?

Windex and a microfiber?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Even though you're Navy and I'm Army I won't try to steer you wrong. You shouldn't let your wheels get dirty enough to have to clean it with anything other than car soap, water and a wash pad that has been relegated to wheel duty. If for some reason you need something heavier duty, I don't know of anything specifically formulated for black chrome - but I'd go with something without too many harsh chemicals to be safe.

Windex and a microfiber you're just asking to scratch the finish and be a sad panda.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Go over them with either diluted simple green or very diluted purple power. Rinse them fairly quickly and spray the tires with a spray shiner. When you wipe down the excess of tire shine, go over rims. It gives a little moisture to wipe them clean.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
collinsRS
Active Duty U.S. Navy

What kind of cloth?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Usually something old that's lying around. Ay towel will do.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
collinsRS
Active Duty U.S. Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
I've read they terry cloth and bath towels can scratch the crap out of Black chrome...

Anyone have any exp?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsRS View Post
I've read they terry cloth and bath towels can scratch the crap out of Black chrome...

Anyone have any exp?

I would buy some dedicated micro fiber wash media for those. Check out car pro the micro fiber madness line is excellent.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
jordan 572

Drives: none
Black chrome is impossible to keep nice, but as far as the advice given I don't exactly agree. Get yourself a nice wheel brush or a good wash pad just for the wheels. If there not hammered car soap will do just fine on them, I would use compressed air to dry them as nearly any towel other than high dollar microfibers will scratch them. They seem like they would be tough because there black "chrome" but in reality there just clear coated so they take a beating. Make sure to clean the pad or brush often while moving from wheel to wheel also.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
I think this is the second post from you that I read today that is a sure way to scratch paint.

Start with the last aggressive all purpose cleaner and a Boar hair brush. If the inside barrels or the face of your wheels are covered in brake dust, try something a more aggressive like Adams Deep a Wheel Cleaner or Sonax full effect. Follow up with ACP and blow dry with a leaf blower after you've washed your car properly.

Hope that helps
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
I think this is the second post from you that I read today that is a sure way to scratch paint.

Start with the last aggressive all purpose cleaner and a Boar hair brush. If the inside barrels or the face of your wheels are covered in brake dust, try something a more aggressive like Adams Deep a Wheel Cleaner or Sonax full effect. Follow up with ACP and blow dry with a leaf blower after you've washed your car properly.

Hope that helps
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote