Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Trailer Hitch / Receiver / Thule T2 Bike Rack / OMG Lots of Pics

Pictures first, then words:

Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
l008com

Thule T2 racks are by far the BEST bike racks you can buy. Aside from that, I must have one of the VERY few Camaro's out there with a 2" receiver? :-D I used a Valley receiver and had a pro welder mod the shit out of it. Off goes the 1" receiver, on goes a 2". Also as you can tell, I raised it up and put it through my diffuser. Freak out all you want, I think it looks kick ass. I just need to get a cap for it. Then I might try to put some black door edge guard around the cut edges of the diffuser... or I might not.

Installation was slow. The Valley hitch... I can't wait till Monday so I can call them up and bitch them out. The hitch didn't even sit flush against the car. The two bolts you have to drill, its like when they designed the hitch, they didn't know the battery was in the trunk. You have to remove the battery (no mention of this in the installation instructions) and drill not just through the floor pan but right through the battery pan. And guess what, once you do that, the bolts they give you aren't long enough to go all the way through. ALSO, the battery won't fit properly in it's pan once it's sitting on the heads of two bolts.

I did manage to pick up the receiver for $120. $200 msrp Also the welded did a kick ass job, if anyone is in the Boston area and needs work done, let me know! I also got an awesome deal on the bike rack. $200 lightly used on craiglist. $400 msrp.

So as far as usage, I used it for the first time today and its GREAT. You latch it on and just drive totally normally. And I even managed 24+MPG on the highway, with one bike, and my windows and roof open. I filled up right before I got on the highway. So I'm not going to be leaving the rack installed and up during the week. It's mainly going to be on the back during the weekends. I really don't do bike trips during the week, only local riding.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
l008com

I just remembered more. So the way the receiver bolts through the existing holes in the trunk (2 existing, 2 drilled) is pretty sketchy. The welder wants me to come back in a week and he'll put much bigger back plates on there instead of the tiny ones that came with the hitch. That will make me feel much better about the weight of the bikes back there.

And there is one other issue. If you look at picture #2, the rack doesn't really block my tail lights. But that pic was taken before I put the bikes on and adjusted the rack to properly fit two bikes, both centered. Now that they are centered, the top rail actually is positioned directly in front of the tail lights. I'll have to check it out next weekend and see if it's too unsafe to drive with or not. Worst case, I could put some LEDs in the rack itself and wire em up!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Damn that's almost exactly what I was thinking of doing. I wanted to find someone to custom make a hitch that came through the diffuser, then I can cut it out and make a custom cover to hide it when not it use. But I'd need on to be able to tow a motorcycle on a small trailer to the track in addition to a bike rack. Looks pretty good. Much better than it hanging down below like all the others. Not too fond of the mounting points of the Valley though, only going through the floor pan. I like the Curt mounting points better, much more substantial for my needs IMO.

BTW I'm only one town over from you in Reading.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have one of those Thule racks for my van with a hitch on it. It works great. I don't think I can quite bring myself to putting a hitch on my Camaro though. Although, yours really does look ok.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
mikdz06

Drives: 2010 camaro
You have to do what you have to do, looks ok.
mikdz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Turned out better than I expected but still that is why I have my other car
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Is this taboo for a Camaro?? LOL congrats on a clean install.

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Looks great! You gotta do what you gotta do

Ride safe
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
nice rack for once can say that without getting slapped...LOL
seriously though, nice rack and its a clean install, without the rack itself in the hitch you can't even tell its there. Looks good and i commend you for not bowing down to all those who were giving you shit for wanting to do this.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_FL View Post
seriously though, nice rack and its a clean install, without the rack itself in the hitch you can't even tell its there. Looks good and i commend you for not bowing down to all those who were giving you shit for wanting to do this.
That's funny

mike
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Nice clean install!
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
Pro Street

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_FL View Post
I wanted to say that too with out getting the look!!! Nice Rack!!!

CamaroFest II-III-V
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
nooooo...at least the back sits high to accept the rear load..

..now how about a spoiler that would attach to that hitch..like a dragster?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote