#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #71
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Oh boy. You're lucky indeed. If you guys want pointers on modifying OE SS 1LE struts to get -2.9 to 3.0 I could put together a DIY thread. Glad you caught this before heading back to the track.
Yes indeed kind sir!
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #72
TEX1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE - Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Oh boy. You're lucky indeed. If you guys want pointers on modifying OE SS 1LE struts to get -2.9 to 3.0 I could put together a DIY thread. Glad you caught this before heading back to the track.
That would be great, thank you!
TEX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #73
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Is this with upgraded parts? Can you post more detailed pics of the failure after disassembly?
Yes this was with the upgraded parts and I'll post pics after I disassemble it.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #74
Badgerbimmer

By the way is the Moreno the only camber plate option?
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 04-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #75
TEX1LE

Well guys, just got off the phone with Justin and we got to the bottom of it finally and I feel like a complete idiot. I had the thrust bearing installed upside down which was not allowing the strut to move properly and causing excessive metal on metal wear, whole thing user error.

I apologize for the unnecessary scare to everyone and fire drill for Justin to come up with a fix that wasn't needed, noob status reinstated.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #76
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX1LE View Post
Well guys, just got off the phone with Justin and we got to the bottom of it finally and I feel like a complete idiot. I had the thrust bearing installed upside down which was not allowing the strut to move properly and causing excessive metal on metal wear, whole thing user error.

I apologize for the unnecessary scare to everyone and fire drill for Justin to come up with a fix that wasn't needed, noob status reinstated.
So it should be with the bearing's opening half point upwards along with the mini shaft piece that fits into the camber plate?

I believe thats how i assembled it. Havent had a chance to put em in yet.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #77
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
By the way is the Moreno the only camber plate option?
For stock spring type (including off the shelf lowering springs), yes.

For traditional 2.5" coil springs, Ground Control makes a set as well.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #78
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:

looking back at page 1...... https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=1

Originally, was that the problem as well with the thinner bearing plates???? ... it looks like theres no room for pivot between the needle bearing carrier and the bottom of the spherical bearing as well, and that was the old setup.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #79
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
looking back at page 1...... https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=1

Originally, was that the problem as well with the thinner bearing plates???? ... it looks like theres no room for pivot between the needle bearing carrier and the bottom of the spherical bearing as well, and that was the old setup.
I wish I could tell you but I’m not sure. Looking back on it now I wish I could retract my comment until I could’ve gotten new parts and tested it out. I’m still not confident in the design and would have to try it out one more time to change my mind. I’m going back to stock and not looking back.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #80
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
FYI, I swapped out the original bearing carrier for the updated thicker one. After 15k miles, a couple handfuls of track days, and a salty Michigan winter, the original carriers were perfectly intact.

While I was swapping the carrier, I also replaced the bearing with the stainless version.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #81
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
After speaking with TEX1LE over the phone the other day, I have found that ALL of his part failures have been caused by an improper installation -- user error. including the one in the OP of this thread.

The thrust bearing housing was being installed upside down. This prevented the strut from being able to articulate at all. If you do not understand why this is important, watch your strut and how it moves as someone rotates the steering wheel, you will see that the strut articulates about its mounting point. This strut articulation is the entire purpose served by the spherical bearing in your kit. By installing the thrust bearing housing upside down as TEX1LE has, the strut was FIXED to be perpendicular to the plates, until physics said otherwise! something's gotta give! and in this case, it was those bearing housings. Honestly, I am surprised they lasted as long as they had!

Unfortunately, I had thought my installation manual was clear enough, with its exploded view illustrating the proper orientation of the parts, and the several assembly images. I thought my manual was clear enough in stating, on the very first page, that this kit should be installed by someone who is familiar with these kinds of parts and their function.

Name:  camber kit exploded view.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  61.8 KB

Quote:
I’m still not confident in the design
I'm a bit surprised that you would point this out, after knowing the costs and implications that this thread created, and my response to this issue in general... I have made some mistakes here, but the design of the bearing housing is NOT one of them. We have tons of cars running these kits, both 5th and 6th gen camaros, in extremely demanding settings and this is the first and only case where I have seen that part break, and it was due to improper installation. I am stressing this to put anyone that has the kit installed at ease. Whether you have the old design with the thinner flanges, or the revised design, your kit is good to go. The only difference mechanically is the newer design is a teeny tiny bit heavier LOL. the entire effort of sending out revised bearing housings for R&R was unnecessary.

Boy do I wish I would have properly diagnosed the issue from the first failure!! This has resulted in many thousands of dollars in out of pocket costs, trying to solve a problem that was not there, not to mention the lost sales due to potential buyers not trusting the design – who knows how much was lost there--, and even the costs everyone else had to pay, be it the expense of having a shop R&R the bearing housing, or their time and effort to do it themselves. Folks, you gotta realize that these sorts of threads can have a huge impact on a small business and can sometimes even break the business... I understand there were safety concerns in this particular situation, so I am not saying TEX1LE handled it improperly.. I would just like to bring more awareness to the power you guys hold with public forum feedback.

Justin Moreno
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #82
Badgerbimmer

Justin thanks for the post. I received my camber plates and have always planned to have a proper shop install them. Thanks for your contributions to the Camaro community and I am sorry for all the problems you have had to endure. Social media is a double edged sword as you have found out. On one hand without it people wouldn't know about your product on the other one dufus can destroy your brand.....
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #83
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Motorsports View Post

... This has resulted in many thousands of dollars in out of pocket costs, trying to solve a problem that was not there, not to mention the lost sales due to potential buyers not trusting the design – who knows how much was lost there--, and even the costs everyone else had to pay, be it the expense of having a shop R&R the bearing housing, or their time and effort to do it themselves. ...

Justin Moreno
I've been watching this thread progress. My local Firestone shop wasn't able to achieve the track alignment. My local Chevy dealer achieved -2.5 degree camber up front but didn't torque the right side bolts afterward. I even brought the car back about a week after they aligned it and told them something was wrong, they couldn't find it. Also, the dealer can't achieve the track castor setting. A thousand miles and four track days later my right front tire is shot, so I bought a new set of fronts. The dealer is making up for the problem by providing a new wickerbill at his expense.

I'm still a relative track newbe, and need to work on becoming a better driver before moding my car. I think that camber plates are in my future, just not this year.

I'm impressed with the follow through, I'll reach out when I'm in the market for more camber adjustment.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #84
NewCamaroOrder

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray 1LE
The parts looks great and the upgraded bearing housing made me feel even better about your company. I have no reservation about running these at speed and will do with a smile. You can tell the quality simply by holding the parts in your hands. Anyone who has installed cheap parts can tell the difference. If you have ever fabricated your own parts you understand to an even greater degree.

I'll make sure to let the Ford and Dodge boys know it was Moreno Motor Sports parts that helped me stomp a whole in their times! Good luck and keep it up!
NewCamaroOrder is offline   Reply With Quote