Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #71
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Damn.... I'm sorry you guys are having these issues with the car... I hope you all get them resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #72
stardok

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1657
power steering

Stalled mine the first day I had it. When I restarted it the "service power steering" messege came on and the steering was gone. Called the dealer and they said to wait a minute and re-start it. That fixed the problem.
stardok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #73
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
I'm sad to say that today my eps failed. I will be at the dealership tomorrow to possibly get it fixed. This is a real issue. I have 3500 miles.
I am sorry to hear of this! Please let me know if your dealership was able to address your concerns with the power steering. This sounds like it may be something that is covered under warranty.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #74
Stewie

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Not an owner, but I am doing my homework for a possible future purchase.
I have been reading about the issues with the ZL1 and in doing so noticed the thread by CamZL1 on the major problems with oil leaking. In that thread the mechanic at the dealership mentioned that the wiring for the power steering was very close to a razor sharp support bracket. It seems to be the factory routing of the harness and I am wondering if anyone had noted that this might be an issue with the failure rate being so high. The mechanic noted that if the harness was left in that position it would eventually chafe through and cause a failure.
In an unrelated ussue I had with my 2010 Equinox, I had a service air bag light come on. The problem was a bulletin on the connectors for the seat harness. They were causing the problem. The new "upgraded" connectors have solved the problem. Could this be a connector issue? The turn it off and wait rememdy had worked until it would not reset itself. Four times at the dealer before they fixed it.
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #75
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardok View Post
Stalled mine the first day I had it. When I restarted it the "service power steering" messege came on and the steering was gone. Called the dealer and they said to wait a minute and re-start it. That fixed the problem.
That's a weird definition of fixed.

I'm sure it'll be figured out soon
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #76
JLambCWU
JET JOCK

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL-1, Dakota 4x4 Ext Cab
Just drove mine for 1600 miles from Camaro Fest back to Salt Lake City. Ran like a champ the whole time. Ran down to airport parking lot to pick up my truck with a friend, shut if off, then got the EPS fail message when I restarted it. Took 2 shut down and start ups after 10 minute wait then cleared itself.
JLambCWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #77
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Seems like a few people have had this happen now, Im starting to get nervous.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #78
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham

I admit, I was cautiously nervous about this.......but a half dozen hard runs around the Autocross & 3 passes at the drags of Camaro5 Fest, and with 6000 miles on the clock..not a peep out of EPS.

I'm still keeping an eye on this thread, though. ZL1's EPS is amazing, I'd hate for anything to go wrong with mine...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #79
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
The problem is that it only seems to happen once from all I've read about this issue. I've been waiting for it to happen again so I can scan the gauges, listen for noises and take note of what happened right before but it's been working great since that one time. It's hard for anyone to diagnose an issue that only happens once and without detailed schematics of the system available to the public, it makes it that much harder but I'm very curious what did cause it. I thought it was the computer learning the full lock left/right feedback and caused an error but not everyone was performing a 3 point turn around when it went out on them which is when mine went out.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #80
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
For the record, over 10K and I have had no problems with the EPS. Some owners continue to see this issue, with even lower build numbers than me.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #81
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
OK... a little late reporting back but they initially told me a low voltage error caused the failure which sort of makes sense because the car had been sitting for a couple of weeks and when started it was a bit slow to turn over. I guess after the steering code is set you are done until it sits a while.

I ran mine for about 5 min which would have helped w/ battery charge and tried multiple times to retart w/ no success. It was only after I left for a couple hours and came back that it worked and has had no problem ever since. One other person said a loose battery cable caused his so I did check and my cable was tight.

Now that I get the paperwork back it says ".7 hr. Diagnostics of DTC C0475\00 lead to PIC5643E. Per PIC5643E regrogram P/S control module. Clear DTC's and verify no DTC's reset at this time. Warr code 313E3"
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #82
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Sigh!
"Service power steering" and no P/S Assist (damn it's hard to turn!) on the DIC this morning. Looking for answers here. Hopefully on/off cycling will help.

Car is a 13 ZL1 6M with 1050 miles

* addendum *

Car was operating fine last night. 20 minutes, a couple of on/off cycles and the problem went away.

For those that suffered a (temporary) failure; has the problem surfaced a 2nd or 3rd time ??

Last edited by RiCorvette; 02-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #83
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
They have GOT to get this crap figured out. It's a dark cloud looming over me. I had it happen the weekend I took delivery, and live in fear that it'll come back again.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #84
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
OK... a little late reporting back but they initially told me a low voltage error caused the failure which sort of makes sense because the car had been sitting for a couple of weeks and when started it was a bit slow to turn over. I guess after the steering code is set you are done until it sits a while.

I ran mine for about 5 min which would have helped w/ battery charge and tried multiple times to retart w/ no success. It was only after I left for a couple hours and came back that it worked and has had no problem ever since. One other person said a loose battery cable caused his so I did check and my cable was tight.

Now that I get the paperwork back it says ".7 hr. Diagnostics of DTC C0475\00 lead to PIC5643E. Per PIC5643E regrogram P/S control module. Clear DTC's and verify no DTC's reset at this time. Warr code 313E3"
When mine happened, I had just been driving it for several hours.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote