Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Here is a link to a GM video on the Zl/1 break-in period:

My dealer (Tom Henry) did not want to dyno the car until after the break-in period. I'm not taking any chances.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
phantom
phantom

Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6M
Ligenfelter team will make sure it's ready for use when the build is completed. They typically have a line of 25 vehicles waiting for upgrades and are very meticulous with all builds. My visit to their location outside of Frt. Wayne convinced me their a world class speed shop. My 2010 was on it's way there until they announced the the mfg release of the ZL1, immediately sold the 2SS and purchased a early build ZL1. It's currently at 2700 miles and makes fantastic power. Would like some additional torque at higher speeds and that could well mean a trip to Indiana. The 650 build is a great option for the money, enjoy.
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
Drive it hard, don't engine brake (no down shifting or coasting down in gear). Change the oil @ 500 miles. Seat those rings right!
SCHUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #32
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Why doesn't GM build a machine that breaks in all cars they produce?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Per a GM Master Tech and Friend of mine.....

"The Factory Break-in period is for the owner's learning curve, not the Car, Drive it the first day the way you plan on driving it the last day....."

Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
Why doesn't GM build a machine that breaks in all cars they produce?
Grant this was a sedan, when i was touring the gm plant, cars were put on a dyno and did a full pull before leaving the plant.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
Per a GM Master Tech and Friend of mine.....

"The Factory Break-in period is for the owner's learning curve, not the Car, Drive it the first day the way you plan on driving it the last day....."

Where is this written, it doesn't say it in the owners manual.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Where is this written, it doesn't say it in the owners manual.
It's not written anywhere. It was something that some of speculated during the original break-in period arguments.

All we heard from GM was a statement from Fbodfather telling us that the decision was made by the engineers that designed the car, so they must have had a good reason.

Nobody has ever been able to figure out just what component of the car would require such a long break-in period. We just speculated ourselves that maybe, just maybe, the long break-in period wasn't for the car itself, that it was simply meant to be a learning period for the driver themselves, to give them time to get acclimated to the power and capabilities of this new beast before they unleash the full potential of it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It's not written anywhere. It was something that some of speculated during the original break-in period arguments.

All we heard from GM was a statement from Fbodfather telling us that the decision was made by the engineers that designed the car, so they must have had a good reason.

Nobody has ever been able to figure out just what component of the car would require such a long break-in period. We just speculated ourselves that maybe, just maybe, the long break-in period wasn't for the car itself, that it was simply meant to be a learning period for the driver themselves, to give them time to get acclimated to the power and capabilities of this new beast before they unleash the full potential of it.
That is a big leap in terms of a speculation. My .02 is that people have their strong belief systems about how to break in a car and they aren't likely to change that based on anything they hear or read that says otherwise. It's rather extreme for GM to say not to exceed 4000 rpm for 1500 miles merely for drivers to get used to driving the car. I have a hard time imagining that.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
[QUOTE=Sven59;6539372]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post

I wasn't saying that they wouldn't cover it, just that they might not. Like you said it really depends on what broke and why. I am just saying that i believe that legally they would be in the right. Some dealers are easier to work with than others. I just don't want anyone taking the word of someone on the "forum" as gospel. I don't think the dealer will take "a guy on camaro5 told me it was alright. There is a lot of bad advise given out on the forum. It is everyones personal choice whether they follow it or not.

Over 38 years building race and street engines and I can vouch out of thousands, dont run it easy or you are setting yourself up for oil consumption issues and excess oil ingestion via the intake air charge .

Drink coolaide and believe the legal/marketing.management, or believe actual engineers. Your choice.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

[QUOTE=SC2150;6548133]
Quote:

Over 38 years building race and street engines and I can vouch out of thousands, dont run it easy or you are setting yourself up for oil consumption issues and excess oil ingestion via the intake air charge .

Drink coolaide and believe the legal/marketing.management, or believe actual engineers. Your choice.

Are you advocating for people to violate GM's advice, they do have a few engineers too. There are some Dealers that have their own speedshop and will certify their work and meet GM's requirements. How would you feel if someone took your advice blew up their engine and the Dealer refused to cover it because the person violated the break-in?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
[QUOTE=Sven59;6548318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Are you advocating for people to violate GM's advice, they do have a few engineers too. There are some Dealers that have their own speedshop and will certify their work and meet GM's requirements. How would you feel if someone took your advice blew up their engine and the Dealer refused to cover it because the person violated the break-in?
Engineers don't write the break-in procedure; lawyers do. How many lawsuits do you think GM would face if they said that the engine needed to be broken in hard? Everyone and their mother would use the defense "the owner's manual told me to"
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

[QUOTE=The Stig;6548409]
Quote:

Engineers don't write the break-in procedure; lawyers do. How many lawsuits do you think GM would face if they said that the engine needed to be broken in hard? Everyone and their mother would use the defense "the owner's manual told me to"
Do you really think they would ever promote break it in hard? I could see them dropping it completely if it wasn't necessary. If you had a brand new airplane and they recommended a break-in period would you violate that also because lawyers wrote it?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #42
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I have some tasty rat poison for everyone to drink, it is really good and helps you lose weight and lawyers wrote the warning about human consumption.