Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
1BadZ28

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28 5.7L LS1 T-Tops
Post The Z28 That Saved My Life

I know this may not be what people usually post on this site about. But this is my personal story of my Camaro. So this is how it happened I'm 18 years old i'm a full time student and work part time. This last summer I was given an offer to buy a 2001 Camaro Z/28 6 speed manual 5.7L LS1 it was in perfect condition. It was my friend's dads car and they didn't have time to drive it anymore so he wanted to sell it. At that point i was driving a 2003 Honda civic Sedan 1.7L 4Cyl. So that summer i worked all summer every day non stop to buy this car. And at the end of the summer i sold my civic and had all the money to buy it and got it. I was so proud of it. I had always wanted a muscle car but never thought it would become reality since my parents don't believe in buying us cars. So, when i got it i was shocked! In the time i had it (about 2 months) i put around 15,000 miles on it. I plasti-dipped the wheels black and the SS hood which he put on. It was a sweet little car. Then one day headed to work I was driving on the interstate at 50MPH(the speed limit) I came up to a busy intersection but i had no stop sign or anything so i proceeded normally. I couldn't see to my left because an 18 Wheeler was in the turn lane was blocking my view and as i got to the intersection. It happened..... A 16,000LB up-armored military dump truck pulled across in front of me. I T-Boned it at 50MPH. Moments before impact i slammed the brakes and swerved left to distribute the most force on the passenger side since it was just me. So i hit the back tire of the massive truck. Actually broke its back axle, it had to be towed off. But when i hit it the airbag knocked me unconscious and the car came to a rest in the intersection fiberglass shredded, body bent and mangled, intake snapped off the block. But i was alive. I opened the door and got out to complete shock that my once beautiful muscle car was reduced to a mangled hunk of metal. After that i was taken to the hospital. Where i laid in the trauma center room, crying over the loss of my car and almost loss of my life. I attributed my survival to that car performing exactly how it was intended in that situation I was truly blessed to have the privilege to drive such a beautiful car and thankful for it saving my life.

I will go ahead and apologize for any typo's I have made I didn't proof read it. But all in all. If i was in that situation again I wouldn't rather be in any other car. RIP TASDEVL. Was a good ride.
Attached Images

1BadZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Glad your OK, cars can be replaced. Sorry to hear about your SS and by the pictures and age I'd say it is totaled. Hopefully you'll be fairly compensated.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
1BadZ28

Thank you! I have my eye on a 2010 Camaro SS Built! Blessed to be alive.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
The 4th gen actually got pretty high marks in crash tests. I had a 93 Z28 and got into a t-bone with a full size van. It handled it well....better than that full size conversion van did. Myself and passenger were unhurt in a pretty hard accident.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
So sorry to see that. Your story parallels my brother's so much. in 2001 89 RS (MINT condition, 60k OG miles) going through an intersection with a dump truck to his right, lady crosses the intersection in a van narrowly missing the dump truck she was T boned by my brother. We were more worried about losing the car than whether or not he was hurt.

On to the next one. Time for a 5th gen for you, or even a 6th.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Sweet nectar of lucky you-know-what...
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Glad you are ok. You will have another muscle car some day soon.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Wow that is a vicious wreck. Glad you are OK and hopefully you can get the car replaced with a new one soon

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
1BadZ28

It seem's like in this day and age you have to be extra cautious, because people can not drive what so ever. I ended up finding out that the driver of the military truck did not have a driver's license!!! He couldn't see the other lane either so he drove across blind and almost ended my life. I have been dealing with our lovely federal government. They told me that even though it was 100% there fault that before I could even get a rental car it would take up to 6 months to do a full investigation. Which is unbelievable. But since then they have given us so much trouble and grief over the accident and has refused to talk to us or pay for my medical bills that we have hired a lawyer and are ready to fight them to the bitter end. For the just compensation due to there gross negligence.
Thank you, for your messages and replies I honestly didn't expect much feedback. If any from my post. I appreciate it. I will remember to post a pic to this thread if its still up when i'm rolling in my new Maro!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Glad your alright and that the car protected you, and wish the best of luck for your battle a head
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro z/28, crash, crash rating, crashed, life sucks