Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
thenslee

Drives: Summit White 2017 2.0l Camaro RS
Axle back or muffler delete?

I've been wanting to make my car louder for a while, but i can't decide if i should get an exhaust system, or just cut out the mufflers. I know a muffler delete would be a lot cheaper than the other options (flowmaster, MRT), but can anyone who has one or the other let me know the pros and cons of either? Thanks!
thenslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenslee View Post
I've been wanting to make my car louder for a while, but i can't decide if i should get an exhaust system, or just cut out the mufflers. I know a muffler delete would be a lot cheaper than the other options (flowmaster, MRT), but can anyone who has one or the other let me know the pros and cons of either? Thanks!
Muffler delete will save you a little more weight and a lot more money but will have a lot of rasp and probably some epic highway drone. The axle-backs from MRT, Flowmaster, Borla etc. are all a little pricey but they will save weight over the stock system make your car louder with less rasp and very little to no drone at all.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Captslow

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS I4T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Muffler delete will save you a little more weight and a lot more money but will have a lot of rasp and probably some epic highway drone. The axle-backs from MRT, Flowmaster, Borla etc. are all a little pricey but they will save weight over the stock system make your car louder with less rasp and very little to no drone at all.
I had no drone when I deleted my mufflers.
Captslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
FRDriver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0T Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captslow View Post
I had no drone when I deleted my mufflers.
I was thinking of deleting the muffler as well. Did you retain the stock mid resonator?

I'm interested in listening to video of 70mph highway cruising if you've got one. Thanks!
FRDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenslee View Post
I experience little to no drone at all with my stock delete.... stock delete sounded to my opinion really nice but was just not loud enough after a couple days. If you want loud i recommand keeping the stock muffler , replacing the downpipe with an aftermarket ZZP catless downpipe and getting an electric exhaust cutout... that way you can be loud at the touch of a botton and not too loud early in the morning so u dont wake up the neighbors.
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDriver View Post
I was thinking of deleting the muffler as well. Did you retain the stock mid resonator?

I'm interested in listening to video of 70mph highway cruising if you've got one. Thanks!
There ars no mid resonator in the I4 . What you need to remove is the very restrictive OEM catted down pipe and replace with a zzp catless or catted hi flo downpipe .
( catless is has 2 to 3HP more sounds better and louder than the catted version for $100 less.... but the downside is its not legal and wont be able to pass an emmission test in states that requires it. I live in florida we dont havr to take emission test��

Last edited by Beast-Y-Blue; 07-09-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: More info
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Those of you that have done any type of exhaust work, what have been your seat of the pants performance improvements?

I recently did the full front to back 3-inch Corsa system with a ZZP catted downpipe (on my LTG ATS) and i feel like i lost a measureable amount of low-end torque. I had the downpipe with the stock exhaust (the camaro and ATS use the same stock muffler) and just did the Corsa this weekend so i need to get back in there and look at my tune, but i'm mildly disappointed in the loss of immediate power.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have the MRT V3 Axle Back there is some drone but it did surprise me when I did a cold start after only expecting what MRT showed in the Videos.
DarkFangz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
I really like the Borla S-Type for this turbo platform. No drone and a great tone.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
bodysnatcher
Bodysnatcher

Drives: 2017 Black RS
not sure what the drone noise sounds like, can you guys elaborate?
bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Check this out

https://youtu.be/yITTtO9MXFk
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
GrdgeRace

Drives: 2017 2.0 Gen 6
I did the Hooker Delete, was ok for about say 2 days and got absolutely obnoxious and not to mention I started getting noticed by local PD unlike before when I was all quiet and ninja stealth like. Put the suitcase muffler back on and I have to say I like it. Plus its gentle on my 5 YO daughters ears. I guess its just down to what your willing to put up with or consider droning or obnoxious. Good luck
GrdgeRace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust