Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #99
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Do your research mainly, I'm a fan of doing all the research on my own, so yeah I take more risk in doing so but I also educate myself and gain a skill. I started roughly 2 years ago, almost. Motley Fool is a pretty good website. Take the risks you can, I tell anyone if you can't afford to lose it all in the stock market don't put it in. Personally I started with dividend funds (Ford/Intel, made close to 25% on those 2 overall, plus dividends at roughly 3-4% which is better than any money market/CD out there) That was the main reason for investing, I was looking at my checking account and steadily watched interest rates drop as the economy went down and just seems crazy not earn on money I'm not using.

For a safe bet I love Vanguard Mutual Funds, their Dividend fund closely matches the S&P which usually beats the market overall, as well as their Windsor II fund if well balanced, plus you can't beat their expense ratios.

You'll win and lose, I've had stocks go down 99% which I still hold since it's pointless to sell at this level, but I've also tripled money on a stock, recently I owned Power One (PWER) bought at $4, it was recently bought out for 6.50 a share. Sell when it's high, buy when it's low, I bought into Nike at a low point and have made almost 25% in just over a month. Now I don't have hundreds of thousands so it may appear miniscule but it's all a percentages game. I would love to do day trading once I safely have 10,000 in capital purely for that.

Definitely, so don't buy into 3/5 year charts, 2007-early 2009 saw most stocks go down 20-50%, 2009-now have seen most go up 15-60%. So anyone who says they've made money the last 3 years is an idiot, why? Because anyone with money in the market with half a brain could have increased their money 50% plus in the last 3 years.

Mutual funds offer less risk but less reward, stocks are higher risk but high reward so keep it diversified. At most of our ages you can afford to be risky (within reason), but also save up for retirement, Lifetime funds which you put in your retirement year are great because the advisors shift the holdings less risky as you get closer. Unless you're lucky enough to have a matching retirement portfolio, then certainly do that first, me since I don't put money into my Roth.
Great advice man. Thank you !
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #100
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Just found this thread, good stuff guys.

Been playing around in the stock market for a few years now, since 2008 actually. Did pretty well with a few stocks that had taken a major hit during all that september nonsense but also failed miserably on a few. Also through my job I have a 457 that I've been pouring money into for 6 years that overall has done very well. Being a government employee has SOME benefits lol

oh, and KCCO, for any possible fellow Chivers that may be here.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #101
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Awesome ^
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #102
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Investing in stocks ? I'm actually going to start business classes to learn more.
Any pointers or sites that will help me get more info ?

Oh and I forgot to mention I love snowboarding. Hopefully going to Gatling burg this winter
Don't forget to pay attention to other markets/indices (like the FTSE or NIKKEI, et. al) - we really live in a global market.

My midterm test in an International Finance class (back in the day) was a copied picture from a newspaper. The picture showed people standing in line. The question was "Who are these people and what are they doing?"

Wouldn't you know, the banking crisis in Bulgaria was affecting global stock markets. (the people were Bulgarians waiting in line to withdraw money from the banks)
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #103
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Just took the new girl to the driving range for her first ever golf experience.

... Shit, I need a drink now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #104
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Just took the new girl to the driving range for her first ever golf experience.

... Shit, I need a drink now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Lmao.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #105
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Lmao.
The quote of the day is "this feels awkward!!"

No kidding, you mean this unnatural movement that you've NEVER done before feels unusual and strange? No WAY! If you spent half the time listening to me as you did complaining about how weird it was, you'd be damn near LPGA ready by now.

And before you get on me for giving her a hard time, it was HER idea we go. I do not endorse the idea of bringing your significant other in on your "alone time" hobbies. Everyone needs an escape.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #106
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
The quote of the day is "this feels awkward!!"

No kidding, you mean this unnatural movement that you've NEVER done before feels unusual and strange? No WAY! If you spent half the time listening to me as you did complaining about how weird it was, you'd be damn near LPGA ready by now.

And before you get on me for giving her a hard time, it was HER idea we go. I do not endorse the idea of bringing your significant other in on your "alone time" hobbies. Everyone needs an escape.
I'm terrified to bring my girlfriend snowboarding.
Seriously I'm praying she doesn't flip out after busting her ass 20+ times and start saying f*ck off to me for taking her.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #107
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I'm terrified to bring my girlfriend snowboarding.
Seriously I'm praying she doesn't flip out after busting her ass 20+ times and start saying f*ck off to me for taking her.
I love snowboarding Actually have gone many many times all over the US.

Kills my ankles like no other though. Where do you go?

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #108
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I love snowboarding Actually have gone many many times all over the US.

Kills my ankles like no other though. Where do you go?
Dude thats awesome. I'm heading up to TN and might stay in my parents home there.

I've gone to cataloochee in NC and gatlin burg in TN.
I'm 30 min away from gatlin burgs snowboarding. My parents have a house in East Tennessee.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #109
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Oh and I've gone twice, so I suck lol.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369092327.654353.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  160.7 KB
That's my board
Old 05-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #110
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Oh and I've gone twice, so I suck lol.
Attachment 512391
That's my board
That's a legit looking board! Are you normal or goofy?

I haven't gone to anywhere in NC or Tennessee (at least I don't remember going), but I have gone about 5 or 6 times in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

If/when you get a chance, you need to go to Colorado. The absolute best snow. The East Coast pales in comparison to the stuff you get over there. Literally, you can carve the snow with your board. It's just plain awesome!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #111
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

So this one chinese takeout by me makes this absolutely amazing schezuan tofu (I'm vegetarian).

As I am leaving Gainesville, do you guys think it would be impolite to ask how they make it? I really want to be able to cook some up on my own.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #112
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
That's a legit looking board! Are you normal or goofy?

I haven't gone to anywhere in NC or Tennessee (at least I don't remember going), but I have gone about 5 or 6 times in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

If/when you get a chance, you need to go to Colorado. The absolute best snow. The East Coast pales in comparison to the stuff you get over there. Literally, you can carve the snow with your board. It's just plain awesome!
Normal.

Hopefully I can get good this winter and maybe head to Colorado. I've heard so many great experiences with snowboarding and skiing.