Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
I need help beating my twin brothers 2013 srt8 charger

So i have a 2011 stock camaro ss. I have a twin brother that just got a 2013 srt8 charger. His car beats mine by half a second. His stock has 475 hp i believe while mine has 400 hp. I am wanting to get my camaro to 550 hp to 600 hp with bolt ons alone. I do one day want to turbo charge it. But not today lol. Anyway. What's a good start? As far as modifications. I grew up with 6 cylinder turbo charged cars. So i am new to the 6.2 L camaro's but little to say. I finally have my dream car =) Now she just needs a little meaner side!
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
550-600 hp might be hard with just bolt ons. About beating your brother, that shouldn't be hard at all. All you'd need are the basics. An intake, some headers and a tune should get you there.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I'm curious where you got that he beats you by .5 second. Your talking about the 1/4?I'm sure I'll get corrected but a stock l99 and ls3 can beat a charger. It's really a drivers race and an auto is gonna be easy to go down the track. A good tune on its own would give you a more responsive car, enough improvement to beat him

The cheapest way to 550 rwhp is a sc or turbo. You're not gonna get there with bolt ons

You can get to 475 with bolt ons quickly but a tune will be a must out of the gate.

Look at tl header, intake and a cam.

Depending how you do it and who installs parts you can add 75-100 rwhp fairly cheap and would crush him. Next I'd go with some suspension to keep the tires on the ground. Look and some trailing arms

Honestly you could spend $500 on headers, a few hundred on intake and $500 on a cam and be well ahead. Tune is gonna cost a few hundred more.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
550-600 hp might be hard with just bolt ons. About beating your brother, that shouldn't be hard at all. All you'd need are the basics. An intake, some headers and a tune should get you there.
It'll be hard but is it possible? Also just an instake and some headers? Any good websites? And thank you Scamaro!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I'm curious where you got that he beats you by .5 second. Your talking about the 1/4?I'm sure I'll get corrected but a stock l99 and ls3 can beat a charger. It's really a drivers race and an auto is gonna be easy to go down the track. A good tune on its own would give you a more responsive car, enough improvement to beat him

The cheapest way to 550 rwhp is a sc or turbo. You're not gonna get there with bolt ons

You can get to 475 with bolt ons quickly but a tune will be a must out of the gate.

Look at tl header, intake and a cam.

Depending how you do it and who installs parts you can add 75-100 rwhp fairly cheap and would crush him. Next I'd go with some suspension to keep the tires on the ground. Look and some trailing arms

Honestly you could spend $500 on headers, a few hundred on intake and $500 on a cam and be well ahead. Tune is gonna cost a few hundred more.
I'm talking about the 1/8 mile actually last time i ran a 8.9 and he ran a 8.4 And this is stock vs stock. His does come with more horsepower. And i will definitely look into that... A few hundred dollars is worth it to me! What are some good brands?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Check out Texas Speed, short drive for you.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityCamaro View Post
So i have a 2011 stock camaro ss. I have a twin brother that just got a 2013 srt8 charger. His car beats mine by half a second. His stock has 475 hp i believe while mine has 400 hp. I am wanting to get my camaro to 550 hp to 600 hp with bolt ons alone. I do one day want to turbo charge it. But not today lol. Anyway. What's a good start? As far as modifications. I grew up with 6 cylinder turbo charged cars. So i am new to the 6.2 L camaro's but little to say. I finally have my dream car =) Now she just needs a little meaner side!
I assume you have an A6 since you said 400 hp. That said you won't get to 550 with bolt-ons. I went from 320 rwhp to 370 rwhp with a Cai Brand intake, air scoop, stepped headers, high flow cats and a tune. This would work out to 460 hp according to Chevy (I am projecting a 20% drive train loss). If you check out the v8 bolt on forum you'll see my results are fairly typical. Good luck with your new challenge!
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
A new ZL1 will sure do it.

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewaydave View Post
A new ZL1 will sure do it.
It would but I'd rather put my own sc in it and my own modifications but thats me
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Msmall143

Quote:
I'm talking about the 1/8 mile actually last time i ran a 8.9 and he ran a 8.4 And this is stock vs stock. His does come with more horsepower. And i will definitely look into that... A few hundred dollars is worth it to me! What are some good brands?
There are lots of different brands and lots of opinions. You'll want to research before buying a bunch of stuff. My headers alone recently ran $1350.

Get a game plan together
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Like LSCamaro said....intake, headers, tune plus a torque converter and you'll be smoking him easily. Add some drag radials and you'll be all over him without an issue at all.

There should be some performance shops in your area. Worst case you can make a trip here to Dallas and we have plenty of options. Cheapest way would be to get some headers of your choice (KOOKS, Stainless Works, Dynatec, Texas Speed, etc), get a friend to help you install them, add an intake (preferably with a scoop), and get a mail order tune from someone like Jannetty Racing or Matt@FSP.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Like LSCamaro said....intake, headers, tune plus a torque converter and you'll be smoking him easily. Add some drag radials and you'll be all over him without an issue at all.

There should be some performance shops in your area. Worst case you can make a trip here to Dallas and we have plenty of options. Cheapest way would be to get some headers of your choice (KOOKS, Stainless Works, Dynatec, Texas Speed, etc), get a friend to help you install them, add an intake (preferably with a scoop), and get a mail order tune from someone like Jannetty Racing or Matt@FSP.
Thanks! I'll definitely buy the headers then an intake then a cam... I'll keep you guys updated
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Msmall143

Quote:
Thanks! I'll definitely buy the headers then an intake then a cam... I'll keep you guys updated
Can you install these things. Shops charge about 10 hours for cam install. My local rate is $125 an hour.

Just saying....get a plan.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:

Headers, intake, cam & tune should make for a good race. Those 392 Chargers are mid 12s or faster stock.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote