Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
$700 to spend on DD suspension. Want to be 1" lower.

Id like to drop the car just a touch but dont want a stiff ride over bumps. I think that means I shoukd use a progressive spring. Looking for Brand suggestions.

While I'm at it, i was planning to add better sway bars, but from what ive been reading on this forum, the pros say that should be addressed last. As there are far bigger problems with my stock 2011 SS suspension.

If I go with an eibach prokit, 1 inch drop progressive spring, I should have about
$450 bucks left.

The Eibach Pro Plus drops the car 1 inch and adds both sway bars for $650.

Is my $450 better spent elsewhere, or should I just buy the kit?

NOT LOOKING TO PRESS BUSHINGS IN/OUT.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...

Last edited by eLeSthree; 05-03-2017 at 08:25 AM.
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
eLeSthree

All I want from this upgrade is a slightly lower ride with the same feel, and maybe a little better steering feedback or stiffness. If i could get rid of the tracking that would be nice too. By no means do I expect a huge difference for $700, though.

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You need to look at spring rates compared to stock ( I think there's a sticky on it), most aftermarket spring increase stiffness by 30+%. Im currently running 1LE sways and shocks and thinking about the DSE lowering spring set and rear subframe busing are in the work along with Z28 UCA bushings which are a unbolt/bolt operation. If you just want to look at lowering just do the springs and save your mod-money for another round down the road.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
$400 will get you the JPSS Black Magic Rear Sway Bar. This thing is just animal. Dead flat through the curves and coupled with the stock SS front bar makes the car perfectly neutral in cornering. Going lower - you will probably get even better results in that respect.

There is an exhaustive post - think its called the Book of 5th Gen that does a deep dive into our suspensions. Long story short, a 5mm difference between the front and rear sway bars is the sweet spot in our cars. Using the stock front SS bar with the JPSS rear comes out to 4.5-5mm difference (factoring in not just the size but the strength difference of the front bar being hollow).

I can personally attest to this as with the mods in my sig and recommended alignment I have already pulled 1.02G. There is more in her - I just ran out of corner.

When you are ready, you can do the bushings and other things, but the only thing I would recommend besides calling Justice Pete is to either do everything that requires an alignment at the same time or get the Lifetime alignment from Firestone ($169.00) so you only have to pay for that part of it once.

HTH,
Sammy
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Just saw where you mentioned tracking - look into the JPSS Front Radius Rod Delrin Insert and Castor Locks. Castor Locks are cake to install.

This cured it for me. If you search "suspension" and "postnup", I did an exhaustive review of the JPSS products and alignment.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
As you can see.....there are a lot of opinions. Sadly, when you start modifying, one thing begets another.
But, you are on a budget....and a lot depends on who does the work....you or a shop.
Like you, I want to improve my cars handling without breaking the bank. I dont track....might hit the drag strip this summer.
So, I think you arw on the right path with Eibach progressive rate springs and matched struts. Been a bit of discussion on if the front sway really needs upgraded.
The rear sway is a must on the early year cars due to the inboard mounting.
For me....Eibach springs and struts, ZL1 rear sway kit, upgraded front sway bar end links and a couple properly placed bushings and im done.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
An effective and cheap upgrade would be to convert your rear to fe4 and add a zl1 away bar. After that z28 upper control arm bushings and solid subframe bushings.

As others said, get with JusticePete. Browse his 5th gen book and website.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Id like to drop the car just a touch but dont want a stiff ride over bumps. I think that means I shoukd use a progressive spring. Looking for Brand suggestions.

While I'm at it, i was planning to add better sway bars, but from what ive been reading on this forum, the pros say that should be addressed last. As there are far bigger problems with my stock 2011 SS suspension.

If I go with an eibach prokit, 1 inch drop progressive spring, I should have about
$450 bucks left.

The Eibach Pro Plus drops the car 1 inch and adds both sway bars for $650.

Is my $450 better spent elsewhere, or should I just buy the kit?

NOT LOOKING TO PRESS BUSHINGS IN/OUT.
Lower with the same ride quality is the mythical gold at the end of a rainbow.

If you can get past the look and focus on handling, the hands down biggest bang for the buck mod on a 2010 5th Gen is a telephone pole sized rear bar followed closely by Z/28 radius arms or my Billet Bushing Inserts. Next up would be upgrading to 1LE/ZL1/Z28 Toe links.

These three upgrades will have you thinking you are driving a new and different automobile.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

JP the Yoda of 5th Gen suspensions he is

Rides better than a lowered car and corners better than most;

His rear sway bar is definitely a tree trunk!!!

Check my sig - I have hit 1.02g so far. Even with the Pegasus rear bushings the car is still smooth on the highway.

So glad my car has received JUSTICE!!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
While some want/will Spend a lot to modify their cars. Other need to do so on a Budget especially if they want to keep their car on the Street.

This can be done easily on & within Budget

Lowering Springs
Cradle Bushing Inserts
Trailing Arms
SwayBars
Toe Rods
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
eLeSthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Lower with the same ride quality is the mythical gold at the end of a rainbow.

If you can get past the look and focus on handling, the hands down biggest bang for the buck mod on a 2010 5th Gen is a telephone pole sized rear bar followed closely by Z/28 radius arms or my Billet Bushing Inserts. Next up would be upgrading to 1LE/ZL1/Z28 Toe links.

These three upgrades will have you thinking you are driving a new and different automobile.
Question about your rear sway. I have a 2011 SS, I see you have the option for 2011 and just to be clear, that includes the rear LCAs and drop links and ups the price to $440. Is that everything i need to install this outboard style sway?

Also, the delrim vs aluminum instert. Id like to keep it very streetable. Should i wait for the delrin to be instock again?

630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Question about your rear sway. I have a 2011 SS, I see you have the option for 2011 and just to be clear, that includes the rear LCAs and drop links and ups the price to $440. Is that everything i need to install this outboard style sway?

Also, the delrim vs aluminum instert. Id like to keep it very streetable. Should i wait for the delrin to be instock again?
Yes, the 'kit' includes the bar, bushings, lower control arms and drop links.

Wait less than 24 hours for new pricing on the inserts

Volume on the Billet Aluminum Bushings has been so strong we are going to eliminate the Delrin version and LOWER the price on the Aluminum version
Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
JusticePete

What the hell. No time like the present. Delrin is Dead. Billet Aluminum Radius Bushing Inserts are On Sale!!!