Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Has anyone modified the fuel rail covers to fit over FAST LSXR intake manifold?

Has anyone modified the engine covers to fit over FAST LSXR intake manifold? I had planned to go with the MSD intake, but got a deal that was too good to pass up on the FAST LSXR 102. I wasn't going to get it even with the killer deal (or would just resell it), but I found a couple of pics out there in the wild where people had their stock fuel covers set up and attached with the FAST IM installed. After getting the FAST installed, the engine covers don't fit on there due to the oil lines going directly over the OEM style fuel rails from FAST.

Has anyone in the forum done this? If so, what modifications did you need to make?

My plan was basically to "black out" the engine compartment, which kind of requires my fuel rail covers to cover my fuel rails, heads, etc. I went to the extent to get my headers ceramic coated black, went with the black NW 102 TB, and then my plans got thrown off with the fuel cover scenario. I even when to the extent of purchasing new fuel rail covers, so I can take the originals, modify them as necessary, and strip the red off the lettering...

Any help is appreciated
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Jeff71

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1251
I haven't done it but managed to find the Z/28 in the link that has a fast and covers installed. My only thought would be to see if you can tuck the oil lines under the fuel rails but i'm sure that'd be tight squeeze. Other than that, leave the covers off and have the actual valve cover powder coated black?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...RO-Z/28-226485
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff71 View Post
I haven't done it but managed to find the Z/28 in the link that has a fast and covers installed. My only thought would be to see if you can tuck the oil lines under the fuel rails but i'm sure that'd be tight squeeze. Other than that, leave the covers off and have the actual valve cover powder coated black?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...RO-Z/28-226485
The drivers side on that one isn't even clipped onto the fuel rail lol They didn't do very well fitting those on. Almost looks like they laid it in there for the pic only. Good find though!

I *think* I can work the oil line out of the way just enough to get it to clip on, I just have to check the other clearances. Hoping I run across someone on here who's already done it so I don't spend a ton of time trying to engineer a new solution
Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Jeff71

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
The drivers side on that one isn't even clipped onto the fuel rail lol They didn't do very well fitting those on. Almost looks like they laid it in there for the pic only. Good find though!
That side is janky for sure. Post some pics when you get it worked out.
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
HoodCheck

Following up on this...

I pulled the strut brace off to get a better view of alignment and everything. What I found is that a mod to get them to fit securely isn't likely to be possible. You can either clip them to the valve covers and leave the top loose and laying there, or you can clip to the fuel rails and leave the bottom that should attach to the fuel rail covers just laying unattached. The reason is because usage of the "OEM style" fuel rails (I think they are actually LS2 style) moves the location of the fuel rail up and inwards on each side, resulting in the fuel rails being higher up under the fuel rail cover, preventing them from hooking on. Also, the oil lines completely cover the fuel rail on the passenger side, making it damn near impossible to safely clip onto that fuel rail (those lines would be constantly trying to push back on that; I'd be worried about doing that safely tbh).
So, technically they can be attached, but not securely enough where I would trust them, and they would likely rattle. I don't see a way around it unfortunately. I was hoping some dremel time would do the trick, but that ain't gonna do it :(

My thought is that the pics I've seen of people with the covers on in conjunction with the FAST IM are simply laying there unclipped either at the valve cover or the fuel rail (more unlikely).

I bought a MSD IM since it uses stock fuel rails, but I am somewhat concerned of having the same problem and throwing away 1k (if it doesn't work for my needs, no reason to keep it). And on that note, time to walk into the garage, put the stock and MSD side by side, and get the measurements of where the fuel rails sit on each. If its the same, it *should* work.