Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Based on your statement I never had the real deal get an SS. I love my V6 and it's all I need it to be but it sounds to me that you would be settling for a V6 and you shouldn't settle on this.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
2010 2SS/RS is what I have. Love every second in it. Personally, I think it looks better than the 14-15 models.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #31
nomorecamry

Drives: crappy camry
UPDATE:

I went and test drove the 2010 SS that i linked to above. I also drove a 2015 LT/RS. Here are my takeaways:

The SS is quiet at idle. almost disappointingly quiet. it would definitely need exhaust upgrades to resolve. On acceleration though it sounds amazing..
One other issue is that the swirl marks in the paint are pretty visible, and it was covered in pollen. I questioned why it wasn't sold yet and sitting there with pollen on it and the guy said they could wash it today and tomorrow it would look the same. The downsides of owning a black car. Man, I really want black but not if it's going to look like shit 80% of the time. And does anyone have experience with getting rid of the swirls? Is this costly?

I also test drove a 2015 LT/RS. Man that R/S exhaust sounds fantastic. It actually sounds better than the stock SS IMO. Obviously missing the power.

One thing I found interesting was that the insides were basically identical except for the touch screen. That's a bit encouraging for the SS, because it's basically coming down to touch screen and less HP vs no touch screen and more HP.

This could all be resolved with a SUCCESSFUL upgrade to the stock radio in the 2010. I've seen many posts on aftermarket installs but most have said there is interference with other electronics in the car - tire sensors etc. Then I found some guys who created a mod to put the actual mylink in, but it's like $1800. Uh No.

Is there anyone here that has an aftermarket touch screen that was an easy install that has no issues?

tl;dr - Test drove '10 SS and '15 RS. Pretty similar other than HP and myLink. Black paint seems to be a challenge. Looking to see if anyone has had success with aftermarket touchscreen radio.
nomorecamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #32
ONE-MEAN-2SS/RS
Blackwidow

Drives: 2014 2ss rs black
You can get a 2014 2ss/rs for around 22k with dual mode exhaust
ONE-MEAN-2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #33
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the black paint would actually put me off if there were two identical cars because black paint is literally a spare job.a buddy just got a good deal on a new challenger ,because it was black nobody wanted to buy it and it became special of the month.even my BVM (blue velvet metallic is harder to keep clean than some other colors,but it looks metallic blue in sunlight and black in shadows so i like it and get compliments on it.if you decide black is not a must have theres plenty of 2013-2014 SS out there with mylink,and by the time you pay to add it to a non-equipped car it might be cheaper to buy certified used equipped with all the good stuff,warrantee and free service visits.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #34
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I bought my 2013 2SS in January for 19k. It has 35k miles on it.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
nomorecamry

Drives: crappy camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I bought my 2013 2SS in January for 19k. It has 35k miles on it.
from a dealer or private? clean car fax?
nomorecamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #36
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I concur with most... With a strict budget, go for the SS...

But lets talk about "sound" for a second. The stock Camaro does not have that "muscle" car sound out the door. I could never figure that one out other then GM decided to start quiet and let owners go louder... I had to perform some exhaust upgrades in order to get a more "muscle" car sound. With that being said, its not that costly to do that but you will need to see what mods might have been done to the car to see what it might end up costing you... a heavily modded car might already have the tone you are looking for.. I'm still stock and for $160 I will be getting a muffler delete which will give me the sound/volume/tone I'm looking for.

Listen to the people here (well, most) because they've been thru it all and can provide valuable information.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #37
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I concur with most... With a strict budget, go for the SS...

But lets talk about "sound" for a second. The stock Camaro does not have that "muscle" car sound out the door. I could never figure that one out other then GM decided to start quiet and let owners go louder... I had to perform some exhaust upgrades in order to get a more "muscle" car sound. With that being said, its not that costly to do that but you will need to see what mods might have been done to the car to see what it might end up costing you... a heavily modded car might already have the tone you are looking for.. I'm still stock and for $160 I will be getting a muffler delete which will give me the sound/volume/tone I'm looking for.

Listen to the people here (well, most) because they've been thru it all and can provide valuable information.
If it has NPP, a fuse pull will give him what he wants.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
For you, sounds like you wouldn't be happy with the V6. You nailed it on the sweet spot of 2013 with touchscreen.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #39
Mnhdrider

Drives: 15 black 2SSRS1LE
Here's 3 to give you a idea of pricing up in the snow belt

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2D Convertible 6.2L V8 SFI OHV HO
Color: red / black Miles: 1,290
Package: Nice Care
Price: $ 26,999
VIN: 2G1FK3DJ2B9204566
Options:
AL Wheels ABS AC
Traction Tilt Wheel Pwr Windows
Pwr Locks Cruise Control Pwr Mirrors
2 Pwr Seats Keyless Entry Rear Defrost
AM-FM CD Bucket Seats
Leather Seats
Additional Equipment:
rs package

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2D Coupe 6.2L V8 SFI OHV HO
Color: Black / Black Miles: 16,884
Package: Nice Care
Price: $ 24,599
VIN: 2G1FK1EJ1B9119558
Options
ABS AC Traction
Tilt Wheel Pwr Windows Pwr Locks
Cruise Control Pwr Mirrors Pwr Seat
AM-FM CD Bucket Seats
Leather Seats Heated Seats Satellite Radio
OnStar Chrome Wheels Side Impact Air Bags

2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2D Convertible 6.2L V8 SFI OHV HO
Color: black / black Miles: 16,244
Package: Factory Certified
Price: $ 25,999
VIN: 2G1FK3DJ5C9179826
Options:
AL Wheels ABS AC
Traction Tilt Wheel Pwr Windows
Pwr Locks Cruise Control Pwr Mirrors
AM-FM CD Bucket Seats
Leather Seats Heated Seats Rear Spoiler
Rear Camera Satellite Radio OnStar
Additional Equipment:
45th anniversary edition
Mnhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #40
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
I'm a woman and when I walked into the dealership - i literally walked there, we lost our 3 cars in the same two week period (stolen Silverado, blown motor on the Yukon, and a texting driver totaled my parked Solstice GXP) - the salesman immediately took me to the LT. I didn't even get in it.

Go for the SS.

Upgrade the exhaust when you save up another $1000. You'll love it.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #41
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
V6 twin turbo SS killer all the way
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #42
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
V6 twin turbo SS killer all the way
I have a hard time understanding this mentality. I am not one to ever get on here and bash the V6, it's a great car.

My confusion comes from people who intentionally buy the V6 with a high HP end goal. Yes a 10-12k twin turbo kit, 4-5k break set, 4-5k drive line and 3-4k suspension upgrade would make it a "SS Killer" (and I respect the hell out of the guys that have done this). But at that point you could have had a boosted SS, or a ZL1 for cheaper and with less problems.

Maybe it's a mental thing, or so you can say my V6 beat your...... Whatever.

If you want a GREAT car to cruse and enjoy get the V6 you won't be dissapointed. If you want to get to high HP your better off starting with the V8.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote