Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
JBA shorty and Solo cat install report

Just installed my JBA shorty headers and Solo cats. Already had SW cat back.

If you're a semi newbie like me this post may interest. If a seasoned mod aholic not so much.

1. Disconnect battery, remove plugs and wires (30 min)
Uneventful but necessary for access and so as not to damage plugs.

2. Remove manifolds and cats (4 1/2 hrs)
Challenging due to lack of space but not technically that difficult. I was able to remove the manifold/cat in one assembly after disconnecting steering link bolt. Upper steering link fitting had to be "tapped" to get it off the lower rod. Once the steering rod was moved the assembly came out the bottom no problem.

3. O2 sensors in cats were a nightmare. Got one out undamaged. One came out but galled threads in both cat and sensor. Other two would NOT come out. Ended up buying three new ones.

4. Enjoyed cold amber beverage here and knocked off for the day.

5. Pre-assembled headers and Solo. OEM gasket would not work due to donut around rim of cutout that fit recess in cat. No recess in Solo. Got flat gaskets from auto parts store. OEM bolts were headless threaded into cat; rusted and stuck. Assembled with new grade 8 bolts and nuts from Home Depot. Used anti seize.

6. Installed new header/cat assemblies in car (2 hours)
Surprisingly easier than removing. This portion was much easier with someone to put in header bolts from above while I held from below. Used OEM head gaskets. Used torque wrench and various length extensions and a swivel to tighten all bolts. Start with middle bolt and work outwards tightening all to 10 lb-ft first then go back and torque to 18 lb-ft. Used anti seize. Reattach steering bolt after slipping fitting back over lower rod. There is a safety slot in the lower rod to ensure you get the fitting inserted at the proper depth.

7. Install old plugs and new JBA wires; reconnect battery (30 min)
Uneventful but plugs were a bit harder to install than remove due to header tubes but still easy. Probably could have kept old wires but the header required one odd ball wire that was provided with the headers; I didn't want to mix brands/ types / old and new.

8. Double check everything!!

9. Started car - sounded different and I think good but heard a leak at driver header /cat so quickly shut off. Arggghhh!! Another cold beer while I considered problem and knocked off for the day.

10. Removed two cat bolts from below, removed gasket and reassembled. A bit tricky but with the nuts and bolts I used vice the OEM hardware it wasn't bad. Required a 10" extension and swivel joint. Put high temp exhaust gasket maker on the gasket and reassembled.

11. Checked for leaks today. Thought I could still hear one (pfft - pfft - pfft) but went for a drive and then it was much less so not sure. I guess I'll claim victory for now and keep a watch.

Definitely a louder exhaust sound than just the SW retro. A different tone too. I'll have to drive it a while to better assess.

Time for some Jack Daniels after a worthwhile mod well done.
Attached Images

Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms

Last edited by mpsgolf; 05-08-2017 at 08:49 AM.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Nice.....i have the same mods....even the Jba Power Cables. Do yourself a favour and tie up the longer plug wire so it doesnt twist down onto the header. It will .
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Good read! Determining an exhaust leak after removing the factory manifolds is a PITA on these cars. I'm still unsure if I have one. The loud sewing machine noise I get but at the same time under acceleration I hear a hiss it feels like. I dunno. Car gets dropped off for a cam in the morning so Im hoping I just cant hear it anymore
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote