Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
PF48 here.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Are you sure about this? Source for that info?

I've got 3 PF48s that I bought recently. They all have metal end caps and perforated metal cores. The OE PF 48 that I took off my '12 SS that was built in Feb, was also the same.

Something they've changed in the past couple weeks?
He's actually sort of correct.

The part he said about e-core technology is correct, however this change was made three years ago in 2009. I'm not sure on the metal caps.

He's wrong about the filtering media however. They both use a synthetic/cellulose blend for the media.

This is from Mobil 1 website.

Quote:
Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters combine a mixture of synthetic micro fibers and natural fibers.
And this is from AC Delco's press release posted 3 years ago.

Quote:
The new oil filter features ACDelco's Duraguard synthetic cellulose-blended media that efficiently filters particles as small as 25 microns -- 1/3 the width of a human hair.
They both are rated at 25 microns and they both have 45 pleats so their filtering capabilities are equal.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Are you sure about this? Source for that info? I've got 3 PF48s that I bought recently. They all have metal end caps and perforated metal cores. The OE PF 48 that I took off my '12 SS that was built in Feb, was also the same. Something they've changed in the past couple weeks?
There are quite a few of the ACD filters that have switched to the ecore design. The PF48 was supposedly one of them. If you have one from Feb, then obviously it hasn't happened yet. Thanks for the info/correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
He's wrong about the filtering media however. They both use a synthetic/cellulose blend for the media.

They both are rated at 25 microns and they both have 45 pleats so their filtering capabilities are equal.
I can't find anything anywhere that says the ACD Duraguard is anything more than patented cellulose media. You got a link so I can be corrected?

I'll eat crow on the Mobil 1. I thought they were 100% synthetic media. The ACD DuraGuard and even the ACD UPF48R are 25-30 micron. Mobil 1 is 10 micron. The rating for the ACD Duraguard is hideous. A Purolator PureOne beats that easily with a rating of 15 micron.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.

Last edited by NavyDood; 03-28-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add info
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
I'll challenge anyone to beat the EA amsoil media filter,, many reports coming back with flying colors on this filter,, and it's under 12 bucks
Andy@AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Here's one from AC Delco's Tech Connect. It isn't the same link I originally had as they are claiming 10 micron filtration. This one does however however show a pic of the ecore design.

This redesign also now effects all filters that have a "E" after the after the part number, instead of just the 4 they list.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techconnec...il-filter.html
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I've been using Mobil1 for so damn long that I'll just stick to it.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #21
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
NAPA platinum far exceeds the NAPA gold. A Purolator Pure One is even a better filter than the NAPA gold.
Naaaa
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Here's one from AC Delco's Tech Connect. It isn't the same link I originally had as they are claiming 10 micron filtration. This one does however however show a pic of the ecore design.

This redesign also now effects all filters that have a "E" after the after the part number, instead of just the 4 they list.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techconnec...il-filter.html

That's some good info that puts a little truth back into the thread.

The PF48 has never been ecore, and I doubt for performance applications ever will be.

For performance applications, that metal perforated core and coil spring bypass valve are much better.

The PF48 also has one huge advantage over every other filter on the market.

Factory warranty.

Show up anywhere in the country with a motor/filter problem, and you're covered by warranty. Even though I've never seen a single PF48 problem. Show up at any dealer with an aftermarket filter problem.... here's your estimate.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Anything other than the Amsoil Ea series filters is not good enough to go on my engines. Amsoil has the best value on the market for price point compared to quality of products.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Naaaa
Sorry, but if you do your research you will find what I said is fact.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Are you sure about this? Source for that info?

I've got 3 PF48s that I bought recently. They all have metal end caps and perforated metal cores. The OE PF 48 that I took off my '12 SS that was built in Feb, was also the same.

Something they've changed in the past couple weeks?
Good question, Russell. About to change mine soon, and am heading down to Advance Auto to get a PF48. Thanks for the info..

Quote:
That's some good info that puts a little truth back into the thread.

The PF48 has never been ecore, and I doubt for performance applications ever will be.

For performance applications, that metal perforated core and coil spring bypass valve are much better.

The PF48 also has one huge advantage over every other filter on the market.

Factory warranty.

Show up anywhere in the country with a motor/filter problem, and you're covered by warranty. Even though I've never seen a single PF48 problem. Show up at any dealer with an aftermarket filter problem.... here's your estimate.
Right on, Russell. Makes perfect sense, couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
Bo Tie 1

Drives: 11 Camaro SS,05 Vette Z51,76 Camaro
K&N
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Out of curiosity, cut open a PF48 tonight out of my Walmart stash. I've noticed they changed the name recently from Duraguard to Professional. I just wanted to make sure none of the guts changed. Looks to be the same as they've been for years. Metal end caps, metal core, rubber anti drain-back valve, coil spring by pass valve, 60 pleats, made in the USA. Pretty decent filter for $3.68 at Wallyworld.

I'd say, there are definately worse out there, and better if you go to a premium filter. But there isn't anything this one is going to do wrong, it's got all the basics. Hopefully this part number never goes to the ecore. You can tell those by the E on the end like a PF47E.

Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Awesome Russell James, thanks for doing that.